What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

BxTom

Bench
Why did Capewell come out less than a week ago and declare he hadn't signed with another team then ? Obviously at that time he's signed an agreement and was in the process of imforming that club. Why come out and make such a statement.He appears to me that he's recieved bad advice on this subject.

I thought he would leave. Our cap was gunna struggle to keep him, especially if he wanted 'market rate'. Also saying earlier in the year that 'money was not important'. If that was truly the case he would have re-signed.

This type of behaviour that Kurt indulged in pisses me off. Why didn't he just keep his mouth shut. He makes himself look like a fool.
Ever think that perhaps he was telling the truth and Broncos improved their offer? Happens all the time.

Kevie will have him in the backrow round 1, centre round 2 and then to the bench round 3.
One of the things about moving on for more money is how it may impact State of Origin representation; at $30k a game that can add about $100k to you pay packet a year.

If Kurt stays a Panther, we are high flying and he is a consistent member of the team then he will most likely get picked. If you are fringe but playing for a team doing less well, well you might not get the jersey and pay-day.

The Maroons are famous for pick and stick, and Kurt has done well in this year’s series despite playing out of position and up against one of the best in the Blues side in Turbo, but if he does start getting mucked around by Kevvie and lose form?

I think he is probably a lock for at least next years series (injury dependent) but it is something that players need to consider when leaving the higher performing clubs; as an example Burton’s name has been thrown around this year for NSW (mostly on this forum!!) but it will be much harder to break into NSW from the Dogs next year if they are travelling then like they are now.

The_Frog

First Grade
I am not surprised Capewell is leaving. The money must be to hard to ignore.
Phil Gould will tell you: You cannot play this game just for money. Good luck to him and I hope he kills it up there but not so sure he will.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Just reading some opinions on him as I'm not a Penrith tragic (few of you may have picked up on that)

It's quite normal for fans to pretend like the bloke leaving the club wasn't a good player or something along those lines, all the Bronco fans over on the private fan forum are doing the exact same thing regarding Xavier Coates

He didn't sign when he said he hadn't signed (funny that), it was a verbal agreement as reported. He's obviously signed now. I also highly highly doubt Brisbane leaked any signing info, we've just sacked a bunch of football department personnel.. maybe one of them had something to do with it? The way Kevvie talks in the media, they don't give even the fans a hint of future signings until it's over the line
Soild player who's all effort, will improve your side and im not happy about that

franklin2323

Immortal
Little subtle boast there Franky...

But yep, I was one of them. Thought he was a good player but not what we needed at the time. Happy to eat my humble pie as he's been an expectational pick up for us. Disappointed that he's leaving but he's always been upfront that he wanted to go back to QLD.

I had Sele as a future star... so we all do it.

Plenty of cast aways come good. The question is to bring in a centre or backrower. I guess wait to see who is available

franklin2323

Immortal
Just reading some opinions on him as I'm not a Penrith tragic (few of you may have picked up on that)

It's quite normal for fans to pretend like the bloke leaving the club wasn't a good player or something along those lines, all the Bronco fans over on the private fan forum are doing the exact same thing regarding Xavier Coates

He didn't sign when he said he hadn't signed (funny that), it was a verbal agreement as reported. He's obviously signed now. I also highly highly doubt Brisbane leaked any signing info, we've just sacked a bunch of football department personnel.. maybe one of them had something to do with it? The way Kevvie talks in the media, they don't give even the fans a hint of future signings until it's over the line

Pretty much is a 7/10 every game.

Not as good as TPJ on a good day but across the course of the year offers more

mxlegend99

Referee
Capewell is a good solid player who exceeded my expectations. He's consistent and has quality touches and good instincts. But honestly losing him only hurts as we let go of the player we had in his mould (Burns) while most the others are plodders or workhorse types. No real attacking threats coming through. Burns had been average for us but I think will end up a fantastic player still.

Tago to some might be the answer, but for mine is just too small and I would have him as the Burton replacement at centre. Dont want to lose size in our pack if we can help it.

We will definitely get by without Capewell. But it won't be easy to find a like for like replacement.

Kilkenny

Coach
Capewell is a good solid player who exceeded my expectations. He's consistent and has quality touches and good instincts. But honestly losing him only hurts as we let go of the player we had in his mould (Burns) while most the others are plodders or workhorse types. No real attacking threats coming through. Burns had been average for us but I think will end up a fantastic player still.

Tago to some might be the answer, but for mine is just too small and I would have him as the Burton replacement at centre. Dont want to lose size in our pack if we can help it.

We will definitely get by without Capewell. But it won't be easy to find a like for like replacement.
I tend to agree with you about Billy Burns, thought he may have been worth persevering with, good size, athletic and run good lines. Maybe he didn’t quite make the most of his limited opportunities, probably felt the pressure of having to perform to lock down a spot in the 17. He is sort of experiencing the same issues at his new club. I think he will come good and have a decent NRL career.

gurmiyrg__

Juniors
Read somewhere on reddit from a user that said reports came from fox as the source that, Capewell apparently wasn't happy at Penrith? Whether that just being in the west and in NSW and him wanting to go back to QLD or was it an actual team culture/coaching issue....

nvm it was just copypasta/shitposting

Kilkenny

Coach
Read somewhere on reddit from a user that said reports came from fox as the source that, Capewell apparently wasn't happy at Penrith? Whether that just being in the west and in NSW and him wanting to go back to QLD or was it an actual team culture/coaching issue....

nvm it was just copypasta/shitposting
Shit if that was said on reddit, it must be true.

Panther79

Juniors
Lied via a technicalty.

Funny how you're the one comming out with the big stick, telling everyone else how to behave. Your moral judgements about other posters are quite something. 🤣.
Agree with you to some point, he didn't lie but it was a dumb idea to come out with a video saying you hadn't done something, when you knew you would do that thing within a few days...like you said, what is the point?

Kilkenny

Coach
I’m in the don’t think it really matters either way camp.

Capewell has made his decision, a decision that I guess was to be expected once the Broncos were able to offer him decent money over three years which is what he would have been looking for.

He is a loss, not insurmountable, but losing anyone from your best 17, is a spot that has to be filled.

Good luck to him.

Exsilium

First Grade
Can anyone in the 'know' tell me what we have for hooking options should Kenny leave?

Not part-timers but actual hooking stocks.

Exsilium

First Grade
Capewell should never have been on the market to get to Penrith in the first place. Cronulla proper f**ked up there.

I am glad he came to us and his stocks rose off the back of our good season. Good on him. He is a great player and we've gotten what we needed out of him.

soc123_au

Staff member
Best of luck to Capewell, he has earnt his pay while here so I don't see a reason for anyone fair minded to bag him. As for the video who says he had made up his mind one way or another. All he said was he hadn't signed anything and was concentrating on Origin. It's not a stretch that he made a final decision a few days later. He is under no obligation to update the fans throughout the process on his minute to minute thoughts. It was reported that he had signed, he hadn't and he corrected the false report, that is all there is to it.

Latest posts