What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons sign Jaydn Su’A.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
To be fair to that moron McGregor what else would you expect from him? He couldn't coach a piece of bread into the toaster so how could we expect him to assist Jacob Host reach his potential? All he had was "work harder". That was the limit of his expertise. Again it was not McGregor's decision to:

i. Appoint himself in the first place
ii. Extend his contract
iii. Extend his contract again

It is galling to watch players like Host, Garrick, Saab, Milne, Herbert start to do well now that they are playing under "proper/credentialed" coaches. What could of been!

But again lets point the finger at the real culprits you have presided over all of the devastating decisions made over the last decade (Gordon, Young, Doust etc). They are still safely ensconced on the BOD, far removed from any consequences whatsoever, still pulling directors fees, still wearing their blazers and ties and in their own minds, doing a sterling job. Unemployable the lot of them!

Until and unless the BOD is cleared out nothing much changes. A re-arranging of the deck chairs to placate some dissent but not much more. As I have said before Mr Gordon, Mr Young and Mr Doust are not suddenly going to turn up to work today and "become competent". They're collectively useless.

Right on bro- I've said similar things in past posts so to some extent you're preaching to the converted but it needs to be said...and keep being said..until there's meaningful change and a more democratically elected Dragons Board. If the Dragons board was the Cabinet of a political party and the members had voting rights as to who were members of that Cabinet, a spill of all Board positions would have been called by members after that appalling decision to extend Mary's tenure. We know that there are other consortia interested in investing in the Dragons- that would have been the time to bring them in.

Old Timer

Coach
When Albert came into grade he often burst into the open and ran for 20 - 30 metres (was deceptively quick) and could offload / pass either side and was dynamic at belting the opposition in defence often dislodging the ball doing so. He was also quick to his feet getting many attacking raids going as a result of his quick play the balls.

At the end of his career he made very few breaks, didn’t offload, was easily handled by the defence often dominated and not making the advantage line before being tackled and he was very often penalised for being slow in the ruck and getting off the tackled player.

Lawrie definitely has something in common with one of these descriptions.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Prefer big George made greater impact off the bench against tired players. Lawrie deserves the starting prop spot. He has done his apprenticeship. We called Craig Young ''fat Albert" so presumed he was a big size. Not so, Albert was rather lite for a prop actually.. at just a touch over 100ks. Lawrie looks smaller but is 3ks heavier than the former Test prop. Kinda surprising that.

Dragons4Life
Different eras, different rules; no interchange, skill and endurance equals different body types. Semi professional then. Can’t buy into the Young comparison at all.

blacksafake

First Grade
I'll take stats over perception any day. For a 2nd rower I'd prefer consistent stats every game, big metres, big workrate, great defence, run great lines and an off-load. Su'a will put in 3 or 4 big performances a year ( like Sims ) and everyone will go Wow what a player, the rest of the year he'll be bog average, inconsistent, with a low workrate. That's why Souths let him go. He's in his 7th year of 1st grade and his stats have barely changed from his first year, no noticeable improvement. Maybe on the field he shows a bit more confidence but that's it, still a very average player. What are his good points ? What makes him the player we just had to buy ? Does he run great lines, no. Is he a game breaker, no. Best position - probably off the bench. Plus he's another bloody Qldr.
If you go by stats then I think you’d find Woods & Tolman would be two of the better props going around .🤔

denis preston

First Grade
When Albert came into grade he often burst into the open and ran for 20 - 30 metres (was deceptively quick) and could offload / pass either side and was dynamic at belting the opposition in defence often dislodging the ball doing so. He was also quick to his feet getting many attacking raids going as a result of his quick play the balls.

At the end of his career he made very few breaks, didn’t offload, was easily handled by the defence often dominated and not making the advantage line before being tackled and he was very often penalised for being slow in the ruck and getting off the tackled player.

Lawrie definitely has something in common with one of these descriptions.

Albert definitely played 2 years too many.

Trifili13

Juniors
Baggygreen man, even putting Lawrie and Young in the same sentence is wrong for me. While Lawrie might try hard and play for the jersey, talent wise there is no comparison in my view. One was a starting prop for NSW and Australia, went on 2 Kangaroo tours (player of the 1978 tour) and the other should not be allowed to buy an Australian jersey from Rebel or Peter Wynn Score, let alone wear one. Now Lawrie might develop but lets see.

BLM01

First Grade
Jebus, some here would whinge no matter what the club does.
Even when it is a positive and maybe just a small step in the right direction
I remember Sua at the Brinciis was a gun player and had huge wraps
Maybe a couple of leaner years at Souths but no reason why he can’t reach better heights with us

McGregor what else would you expect from him? He couldn't coach a piece of bread into the toaster
I have followed the Dragons for 50 years since a little tyke at boarding school but have never gotten much into the politics of the game. So you blokes have me at a disadvantage. This loyal Dragon supporter breathes fire (forgive the pun) when I see our good players, specially local juniors sold to other clubs.. Now Mary was employed by the board to coach and he did a pretty decent job at that imo. I do admit at times he lacked the principal asset of a great coach.. getting the best out of his players. Sometimes tho you cant make a silk purse from a sows ear. Gave his heart and soul to the club he played for and loved.. So why all the hate.

It is the so called bosses of our club that sign players and decide whether they stay or leave.. is that correct. So those players you named and a dozen before them were on the watch of arguably our worst ever administrator Peter Doust were they not? Doust clean outs started 20 years ago and happened regularly until he retired.. I can go back to when we lost such fine players as Jason Ryles, Daniel Holdsworth, Mark Ridell, Josh Morris, Brent Kite, Justin Poore, Ashton Sims. Ryles, Morris and Kite probably the biggest losses. The Morris twins sh'd have been life long Dragon players.

Dragons4Life

Last edited:

Mjab

Juniors
I have followed the Dragons for 50 years since a little tyke at boarding school but have never gotten much into the politics of the game. So you blokes have me at a disadvantage. This loyal Dragon supporter breathes fire (forgive the pun) when I see our good players, specially local juniors sold to other clubs.. Now Mary was employed by the board to coach and he did a pretty decent job at that imo. I do admit at times he lacked the principal asset of a great coach.. getting the best out of his players. Sometimes tho you cant make a silk purse from a sows ear. Gave his heart and soul to the club he played for and loved.. So why all the hate.

It is the so called bosses of our club that sign players and decide whether they stay or leave.. is that correct. So those players you named and a dozen before them were on the watch of arguably our worst ever administrator Peter Doust were they not? I can go back 20 years when we lost Jason Ryles, Daniel Holdsworth, Mark Ridell, Brent Kite, Justin Poore, Ashton Sims.. all excellent players. Ryles was probably the biggest loss.

this is old shit nothing new

While I agree wholeheartedly that a major problem at our club is an inept and terrible BOD , a split board not on the same page , a terrible chairman/ owner , inept CEOs for many years
anyone who thinks Mcpeanut deserves any wraps for his tenure at this this club must be delusional
I respected him as a player and accept he loved the club but if he truly did he should have seen his ineptness and resigned after 18 months and moved on not give us 7 years of pain and frustration
no insight
in short that’s why people tend hate the peanut

blacksafake

First Grade
Even when it is a positive and maybe just a small step in the right direction
I remember Sua at the Brinciis was a gun player and had huge wraps
Maybe a couple of leaner years at Souths but no reason why he can’t reach better heights with us
I read the other day that Bennett dropped him because he got a bit ahead of himself. Especially after getting picked for origin.
Not sure how much truth there is in that but I wouldn’t put it past Wayne to do such a thing.

Walpole

Juniors
Great, another average, lightweight 2nd rower, just what we need.
I just looked at his stats against the Doggies - 80 mins, 9 runs, 86mtrs, 24 tackles, 3 misses. His 2nd row partner Koloamatangi - 80mins, 21 runs, 238 mtrs, ( 125 pcms ), 29 tackles, 1 miss. Why aren't we signing players like Koloamatangi or Cameron Murray ? FMD.
Or you could say: 23 year old QLD origin backrower, coming from a top 4 team having played under one of the best coaches of all time. Depends on how you look at it I suppose...

kit66

Bench
Or you could say: 23 year old QLD origin backrower, coming from a top 4 team having played under one of the best coaches of all time. Depends on how you look at it I suppose...

OK but let's qualify those . i) 4 SOO appearances - 2020 , 3 games, first off the bench, second 80 mins, third, 13 minutes off the bench. 2021 - game 1 off the bench. Dropped for the rest of the series. You're correct technically but so would I be if I said he failed at that.
ii) " coming from a top 4 team having played under one of the best coaches of all time " - Bennett dropped him to reserves recently for 2 or 3 weeks and only recalled him because Jai Arrow was in the Maroons camp ( according to NRL.com - https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/08/bennett-certain-sua-will-revive-career-at-dragons/ ). So, even Bennett couldn't help him and now he has Hook. Bennett sees more value in Jacob Host.
iii) " Depends on how you look at it I suppose " - I look at it from taking his history into account and as I said, you'll get a couple of great games and big hits from him each year, a lot of inconsistency and the occasional trip to the Judiciary.
What is it with Hook and ex Broncos ?

kit66

Bench
What were his stat's last year?
From memory he had a great season and South's supporters were genuinely upset when he was told he was not required next year.
Sometimes stat's can be misleading as Kalomatangi is definitely there go to forward and gets alot more ball.

Are you trying to blow up the Irony Meter ?

Latest posts