What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Attack Analysis

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We also go right - just not as often. How else would Fergo score? In Magic Round didn't we score 2 tries down the right hand side with shift (Jarthur hand off to Matto and Jarthur himself for the last try). It isnt that we always go left, we just prefer it.
Merkins think Waqa Blake has become a great defender on the left without considering maybe most teams prefer attacking to their left side.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Its more believable than the idea that some Kraken munching nuffy knows more about Dylan Brown's strengths, weaknesses and growth opportunities than Joey Johns and BA combined.
I think Browns attacking game has gone backwards, I’m not the only on
here. But we are all Nuffy’s on here. I mean I couldn’t come up with a genius mantra of chasing the collision and front loading effort areas. I mean that genius takes you on the fast train to the middle of the pack!!

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I think Browns attacking game has gone backwards, I’m not the only on
here. But we are all Nuffy’s on here. I mean I couldn’t come up with a genius mantra of chasing the collision and front loading effort areas. I mean that genius takes you on the fast train to the middle of the pack!!
...and I suppose you know more than Joey as well?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yep, merkins overrating our players as usual.

Our squad (and coach) are good enough for where we are, which is solid top six, and top four with some luck. But so many people think our squad is good enough to be premiership favorites. Have they seen the squads we're up against? Did they have a look at the Origin teams?
And Pou happy to throw our players under the bus, happy to rubbish them if it defends the coach and his staff and the club. You pulled the same BS with Kearney and Sticky when he was here. I mean you are even happy to blame the fans and throw us under the bus than anyone to do with the club lol.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
And as a result we go left far too often. Teams know it and can adjust their right side defence accordingly, particularly after the hand off unders play to the right post.
Well that's our shape. Whether we can react to the defence and implement options is up to the decision makers on the field, not to anybody sitting in the coach's box. We are improving, but we still have a very inexperienced spine, especially with Moses out.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
...and I suppose you know more than Joey as well?
Just because he was a great player doesn’t mean he’s a great coach, but how much can Joey do?? He works individually with the halves does he have any input to the horrid game plan??? I doubt it.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
How on earth do you know that?
1. Evidence gathered from literally a million coaching changes over the years.

2. Knowledge of who is currently on the market looking for a coaching gig.

3. Evidence presented during team performances over the last few years.

Name me a currently available alternative that would have the eels going better than they have in the last few years.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Just because he was a great player doesn’t mean he’s a great coach, but how much can Joey do?? He works individually with the halves does he have any input to the horrid game plan??? I doubt it.
Joey probably doesn't even get to talk to the players. BA just tells him to shut the f**k up and run laps.

Suitman

Post Whore
I was at the game last night. i lost count of the amount of times i commented on how bad our attack is.

i get what you are saying about similarities in our attack and the other tops teams - and somewhat agree with you. i think the differences are:

- when we have a whole set of 6 in the attacking 20 - maximum 1 or 2 tackles we actually try and put a play on. the other 3-4 are plod settlers that usually result in a slow play the ball and the last tackle is the same cross field bomb every time. Good teams will usually have 1 settler (quick play the ball) then go all out for the rest of the tackles.

- our plays often breakdown because of either slow play the balls or one of our players inability to execute their part of the play

- Gutho overplaying his hand and overcalling the halves. he runs sideways and doesnt have power to break the line. he needs to stick to support play, not 1st or 2nd receiver. He works best when he runs off a shortball or throws the last pass before the try

- the biggest thing for me though is just the speed and depth we play at. watch the panthers or the storm, everything they do (especially in the 20m zone) is done at pace. bodies in motion. the back line has depth and everyone is moving at speed. everyone knows their role and how to execute it. we stand flat, catch the ball standing still, get our timing all wrong and play with no speed.

its diabolical.

it either comes down to 2 things (or a combination of both)

1. not enough skill in individual players
2. not enough skill in the coaching department

if we dont practice attack in equal amounts that we practice defense then BA has rocks in his head.

Fantastic summary and a new best post in this thread
It's clear that we don't attack like other teams. We are so far off the pace in attack it's not funny, and my comment should be taken with no disrespect to the OP. This has been one of the better threads worthy of discussion of late.

Tbh, my view is that in the opposition 20/30, we attack like chooks with their head cut off. Totally clueless.
Even teams like the Titans look more dangerous than us.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Gary, sure there have been changes and certainly some have worked, particularly the appointment of Trent Elkin, but what we are trying to address is the need to at least look like we are moving with the changes in attack. The defence currently is holding up and that’s fine, but as soon as the opposition gets in our faces and we don’t dominate the ruck, we seem to have no idea how to change things up. We look pedestrian When compared to Storm, Riff , Souffs and even Roosters, which isn’t good looking at the roster we have.

Tend to agree that we don’t need wholesale changes, but at least recognise we should be doing a whole lot better when things get tough, our work and understanding on shifts and line running doesn’t compare and it should .
How good was Manly's and Penrith's coaching staff when they had some spine players missing recently?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Fantastic summary and a new best post in this thread
It's clear that we don't attack like other teams. We are so far off the pace in attack it's not funny, and my comment should be taken with no disrespect to the OP. This has been one of the better threads worthy of discussion of late.

Tbh, my view is that in the opposition 20/30, we attack like chooks with their head cut off. Totally clueless.
Even teams like the Titans look more dangerous than us.
Bad luck @Eelementary. But on the plus side you are still running second.

Noise

Coach
1. Evidence gathered from literally a million coaching changes over the years.

2. Knowledge of who is currently on the market looking for a coaching gig.

3. Evidence presented during team performances over the last few years.

Name me a currently available alternative that would have the eels going better than they have in the last few years.
lol it’s your opinion. You have no f**king way of knowing.

Since mid 2018 when I have wanted a new coach the following have been available at different times who I have wanted:
Bennett
Hasler
Bellamy
2 of these are actually available next year.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The other Johns was saying before the game that he thought Brown would have come on a bit more at this point.
We all would have thought that. Maybe he's peaked and no amount of coaching can improve him at this point. Maybe BA can't coach.

Either way, I think we should probably sacrifice Sterlo and drink his blood. But then again, that usually my answer to most things.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
lol it’s your opinion. You have no f**king way of knowing.

Since mid 2018 when I have wanted a new coach the following have been available at different times who I have wanted:
Bennett
Hasler
Bellamy
2 of these are actually available next year.
Of course its my f**ken opinion you idiot!

I am on record suggesting we make a play for the Skeleton. Hasler can f**k off.

We all would have thought that. Maybe he's peaked and no amount of coaching can improve him at this point. Maybe BA can't coach.

Either way, I think we should probably sacrifice Sterlo and drink his blood. But then again, that usually my answer to most things.
Worth a shot at this point. And it would stop him putting the curse on players.

Latest posts