What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Attack Analysis

emjaycee

Coach
This is a genuine question which might not go well on here, but here goes.

A lot of posters are ripping into our attack which I agree can always improve, however I am seriously wondering how different it actually is to the "top" teams in regards to how it is planned, not how it is executed.

When I look at the tries scored by the top 3 team last round, I see nothing different in "how" they are attacking, they just seem to be able to execute it better. They have more players pushing up in support, their individual passes stick more or are better directed, their players might be faster, the first player breaks the defensive line more, and they seem to execute at a faster pace. But the "shape", the "shifts", and the plan seems to me exactly the same as what we attempt to execute.

If this is the case, is it not then simply an issue with regard to our players and their individual skill and effort levels? Their ability to actually execute the play? Even the Dogs have a similar style of attack to the top 3, they just fail to execute well.

Spend the 12 minutes and have a look at these three highlights from last week's games. Tell me where there is something different from what we try and do that results in a try. Something that can be fixed by improved coaching that ISN'T related to the effort or skill of an individual player.

As I said, this is a genuine question because I must be missing something as all I really see different is our players inability to execute at times (and when we do execute well, we score).

Noise

Coach
This is a genuine question which might not go well on here, but here goes.

A lot of posters are ripping into our attack which I agree can always improve, however I am seriously wondering how different it actually is to the "top" teams in regards to how it is planned, not how it is executed.

When I look at the tries scored by the top 3 team last round, I see nothing different in "how" they are attacking, they just seem to be able to execute it better. They have more players pushing up in support, their individual passes stick more or are better directed, their players might be faster, the first player breaks the defensive line more, and they seem to execute at a faster pace. But the "shape", the "shifts", and the plan seems to me exactly the same as what we attempt to execute.

If this is the case, is it not then simply an issue with regard to our players and their individual skill and effort levels? Their ability to actually execute the play? Even the Dogs have a similar style of attack to the top 3, they just fail to execute well.

Spend the 12 minutes and have a look at these three highlights from last week's games. Tell me where there is something different from what we try and do that results in a try. Something that can be fixed by improved coaching that ISN'T related to the effort or skill of an individual player.

As I said, this is a genuine question because I must be missing something as all I really see different is our players inability to execute at times (and when we do execute well, we score).
The biggest difference is how we set up for our 'big plays'. (You don't see our drop off set up plays in the highlights but watch a replay of last night or any game and you will). We burn too many tackles dropping players under to get to the far post before shifting. Arthur and Moses do it far too often. It allows the defence to get set. The good teams can shift one way, make good metres (and cause a retreating or broken defensive line) then shift back the other way in consecutive plays where the defence is disrupted.

Watch how many tackles we burn in a set that don't seriously challenge the defensive line. It's obviously what they are coached to do but it is easy pickings for good defence.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Probably irrelevant but one way to look at this current situation is that in recent times we lost to Penrith and Raiders simply because we missed 2 conversions.

If Mitch converts that goal against the Panthers and Gutho converts last night, all these conversations change.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Because I don't think our 7s would be going against the game plan, particularly the son of the coach.
Are they capable of quickly shifting side to side without settlers? Whenever I've seen us try to do it in the past we end up forgetting to take on the line and just move sideways.

Noise

Coach
Are they capable of quickly shifting side to side without settlers? Whenever I've seen us try to do it in the past we end up forgetting to take on the line and just move sideways.
Yes they are capable. They are first grade footballers. Two of our spine have played origin in the last 12 months and a third would have if he didn’t get injured. They are more than capable of organizing and executing a long shift on back to back plays. The problem is the game plan wants them to get to the post then shift left ever time we are attacking the line. And when that doesn’t work kick and hope.

Delboy

First Grade
So , we can all agree that our execution is lacking that element that sets us aside from the rest of the top 4. Looking at the roster, that doesn’t seem to be an issue, talented, big, but perhaps lacking top end speed , but overall up there with the rest.

Back to execution, we seem to have sorted out the defensive side of it , apart form individual errors ( such as misses in the line, like last night).

Attack, this is a question that mystifies a lot of fans. We have had the same attack coach for 8 years, with little or no change in direction, setup or execution. What exactly is the cv for Murphy, moved on by the Titans and I guess from posters, some touch footy experience. He is
apparently one of the real good guys , liked by the players, staff and always up for a chat by those attending training and functions. Compared to asst coaches at other clubs is this enough, do we need to make a move at the end of the season to be able to take the next step in attack. What seems obvious to us outside the inner circle may be tough to judge, but just feel it’s time to change some of the support staff to move upwards.

emjaycee

Coach
So , we can all agree that our execution is lacking that element that sets us aside from the rest of the top 4. Looking at the roster, that doesn’t seem to be an issue, talented, big, but perhaps lacking top end speed , but overall up there with the rest.

Back to execution, we seem to have sorted out the defensive side of it , apart form individual errors ( such as misses in the line, like last night).

Attack, this is a question that mystifies a lot of fans. We have had the same attack coach for 8 years, with little or no change in direction, setup or execution. What exactly is the cv for Murphy, moved on by the Titans and I guess from posters, some touch footy experience. He is
apparently one of the real good guys , liked by the players, staff and always up for a chat by those attending training and functions. Compared to asst coaches at other clubs is this enough, do we need to make a move at the end of the season to be able to take the next step in attack. What seems obvious to us outside the inner circle may be tough to judge, but just feel it’s time to change some of the support staff to move upwards.
I know you don't like Murphy but maybe the players aren't as talented as you think or maybe they are just lazy.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The biggest difference is how we set up for our 'big plays'. (You don't see our drop off set up plays in the highlights but watch a replay of last night or any game and you will). We burn too many tackles dropping players under to get to the far post before shifting. Arthur and Moses do it far too often. It allows the defence to get set. The good teams can shift one way, make good metres (and cause a retreating or broken defensive line) then shift back the other way in consecutive plays where the defence is disrupted.

Watch how many tackles we burn in a set that don't seriously challenge the defensive line. It's obviously what they are coached to do but it is easy pickings for good defence.
We have more settlers in the attacking zone than the early explorers.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So our players are lazy and aren't talented enough??? If true which i think is BS isn't that on the coach as well???

You only have to see the way Brown played when he first came into grade and look at him now. He has regressed in attack in a big way. his job is to make his tackles and kick when needed and run the ball when he gets it. He has been so underused and undervalued it's frankly quite sad. Go back and watch his first game in first grade and watch how he went about things last night. Yeah it's all down to the players......

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Yes they are capable. They are first grade footballers. Two of our spine have played origin in the last 12 months and a third would have if he didn’t get injured. They are more than capable of organizing and executing a long shift on back to back plays. The problem is the game plan wants them to get to the post then shift left ever time we are attacking the line. And when that doesn’t work kick and hope.
I've seen us try and it isn't effective at all.

lucablight

First Grade
So our players are lazy and aren't talented enough??? If true which i think is BS isn't that on the coach as well???

You only have to see the way Brown played when he first came into grade and look at him now. He has regressed in attack in a big way. his job is to make his tackles and kick when needed and run the ball when he gets it. He has been so underused and undervalued it's frankly quite sad. Go back and watch his first game in first grade and watch how he went about things last night. Yeah it's all down to the players......
Brown actually looked like a playmaker when he came into grade. Now he’s either a tackling machine or dummy and run every single time.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

I'd be interested in your answer to this:

TheRam

Coach
Probably irrelevant but one way to look at this current situation is that in recent times we lost to Penrith and Raiders simply because we missed 2 conversions.

If Mitch converts that goal against the Panthers and Gutho converts last night, all these conversations change.

No they don't. It would just mask our deficiencies.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Brown actually looked like a playmaker when he came into grade. Now he’s either a tackling machine or dummy and run every single time.
BA even said in the interview last night Bea Jr's job was to lead the team around the park while Dyl sticking to his job. He doesn't think he is capable of leading the team around the park which i reckon is BS. His game has stalled and IMO that's all on the coach and his staff. I wonder where his game would be at id he was at the Roosters or Storm. I bet he would be asked to do more than tackle, kick when needed and just run the ball. As i said earlier we are ridiculously under coached.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Did you??? I watched us last night and saw the same dogshit attack i have seen for years. But to say our players aren't talented enough or lazy is just a cop out IMO.
Thats how I feel about imbeciles that use the coach as the scapegoat.

The reality is that there isn't one single factor or one single person to blame any time we lose.

Thats probably hard for you to accept, but maybe just take a seat and soak it in for a bit. You'll be OK.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Thats how I feel about imbeciles that use the coach as the scapegoat.

The reality is that there isn't one single factor or one single person to blame any time we lose.

Thats probably hard for you to accept, but maybe just take a seat and soak it in for a bit. You'll be OK.
It's not all the coaches fault, never has been or never will be but at the end of the day the buck stops with him. He's had 8 years FFS, he has the side he wants with his handpicked staff. Surely the endless excuses have to end some time??? How nothing was changed in the off season after yet another late season fade out is simply mind boggling and on the people in charge. I'll be shocked if nothing is done next season.