What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 v Rabbits

be55

Juniors
I don't have a problem with the backline at all, except for picking Norman at centre. Wiliame is named in the 21, why can't he play there ? He's a stronger carrier of the football and defensively he is a much better option than Norman.

Hook is obsessed with Norman. It was reported that he wanted to re-sign Norman and the club overruled him. This selection, and his constant praise of him throughout the year, makes me think those reports were accurate.
Correction...George Dragon has pointed out that although he was named in the 21, Wiliame is unavailable for selection due to injury...that being the case i would have went with Beale in the centres and Pereira on the wing (as long as Pereira is available to play)

Norman has an extremely weak carry of the football and his defence is disgraceful. I can see him being totally exposed in the centres and have no impact at all with ball in hand.

I'd take Pereira's effort and energy over Norman any day of the week

But most of all, i am just sick and tired of the sight of the guy. We've all had to put up with him floating around the field with the enthusiasm of a drunken sloth, and at this point, with everything that has happened this year, I just want to see the back of him.

He should never have been allowed to don our jersey in the first place and i wouldn't have him run the water let alone take the field in any capacity.

Personally i think that his pathetic attitude to everything has probably rubbed off on everyone else in the playing group, and the result is what happened at Vaughan's place.

The sooner he is gone the better

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
This is an excellent selection from Hook.
1. He has dropped Dufty for Sloan.
2. He has stuck with Sullivan at 6.
3. This team will now allow us to play a near full strength team against Raiders
Well done Hook, respect what he has done this week.
I would say he has finally realised what we all had last week that the season is basically over barring miracles and the old firm isn't going to produce miracles. Build for the future now and if a miracle is going to come it is more likely to come from this young group than a disinterested group of old boys. Great to see Sullivan in particular back it was his first game in a long while and I thought he defended well, put in some nice kicks and was really firing some good ball out to Ramsey. Once he gets up to speed and we get a stronger side back around him, I see him really having a lot more impact than Norman. He had his chance to get a contract, never took it. I wouldn't be shocked to see him forced into retirement to be totally honest or grabbed on the super cheap.

Gareth67

First Grade
tl_web.jpg

TEAM LISTS
Breaking

Presented By TripADeal

NRL team announcement: Round 20 v Rabbitohs​

Author Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au Timestamp Tue 27 Jul 2021, 03:57 PM

Share on social media​

St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin has named his mandatory 21-man squad ahead of the Dragons' Round 20 clash against the South Sydney Rabbitohs at Browne Park, Rockhampton on Saturday, July 31 (3pm).
Jack Bird, Jack de Belin, Blake Lawrie and Josh McGuire's one-game suspensions will be accounted for this weekend following their role in the Shellharbour incident in early-July.

Poasa Faamausili, Billy Burns, Jaiyden Hunt, Kaide Ellis and Jackson Ford are the new faces in the team as a result. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown has also returned to the Warriors prematurely given their recent injury toll.
Matt Dufty and Cody Ramsey have been replaced in the 17 by Tyrone Sloan and Corey Norman respectively. Talatau Amone has been named in the centres with Gerard Beale shifting to the wing at the expense of Jordan Pereira.
Zac Lomax and Daniel Alvaro remain unavailable as they continue their individual quarantine.
Tariq Sims will celebrate his 200th NRL game when he runs out for Rockhampton's maiden opportunity to host an NRL fixture.

NRL squad for Round 20 v South Sydney Rabbitohs –​

1. Tyrell Sloan – sponsored by EFEX
2. Mat Feagai– sponsored by Aspec Masonry
3. Corey Norman – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
4. Talatau Amone – sponsored by Floormania
5. Gerard Beale – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
6. Jayden Sullivan – sponsored by Carinya Village – Jindabyne
7. Ben Hunt (c) – sponsored by Narellan Pools Illawarra
8. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Sneaky Burger
9. Andrew McCullough – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
10. Poasa Faamausili – sponsored by Gym Solutions
11. Billy Burns – sponsored by Fox and Jones
12. Tyrell Fuimaono – sponsored by Modus Projects
13. Tariq Sims – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual
Interchange:
14. Adam Clune – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
15. Jaiyden Hunt – sponsored by TLE Alexandria
16. Jackson Ford – sponsored by Manna from Heaven
17. Kaide Ellis – sponsored by TripADeal
18. Cody Ramsey
19. Matt Dufty
20. Jordan Pereira
21. Brayden Wiliame

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/07/27/nrl-team-announcement-round-20-v-rabbitohs/

Corrrr - Corrrr - Corey Norman in the centers ! Horror movies have always scared me ever since I saw Brutus put Popeye’s head in the spokes of the helm wheel on the good ship Lollipop . ( I suppose that many of you gentlemen have no idea whom those characters are , but trust me it scared the pants of me 😳)

But back to the present , Corey is a human turnstile at five eighth so what will he be like in the centers ? Please tell me that Latrell Mitchell will not be playing .

Then again I suppose that Griffin realizes that our season has indeed gone and the man is doing what we expected of him in such a situation as this and that is to blood as many of our young guns as possible.

Another good point is we will no longer have to watch Duffy let the ball bounce on our try line . At least Ramsey makes an effort whereas the Duff just did not want anything to do with it.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
All I want is the coach to make smart decisions and the players do their best.
This week Hook has given us every chance vs Raiders and at the same time shown guys like Dufty that what he dished up is unacceptable and won’t be tolerated.
We will suffer a heavy loss this week but hopefully there are some glimpses of brilliance from guys like Sloan, Fegai, Sullivan and then next week when the senior players come back we have a real crack at Raiders.
As a Dragon supporter
I hope so too !

blacksafake

First Grade
Fair bluddy dinkum for months plenty on here have been calling for the inclusion of these youngsters. They get picked & plenty are now whinging it’s the worse team in history blah blah blah.
For weeks some have been asking for Amone to be picked. He does & some are still not happy.
I’m personally looking forward to watching & hoping the youngsters go out & give it their all, win or lose.
Well done Hook.
As for Norman he’s slowly moving out but we do need some experience out there this week.
C’mon fellas & gals get behind them, they’re the future.

Crush

Coach
As a Dragon supporter
I hope so too !
Haha, pretty sure we are all very strong dragons fans in here mate. The fans who get desperately upset and talk about never watching another game are some of biggest diehards. The more invested the fans are the more upsetting it is to see the team do so poorly, hence the recent negativity.
These facebook fans that say support your team and be positive regardless of the results are the fake fans IMO.
True fans get angry.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Yep, on the face of it , it looks like a reserve grade side. And yep, we might get flogged, but this is what we've been asking Hook to do, give the youngsters a go. Their instructions will be simple, play out of your skins & show us what you can do.

I'm kinda looking forward to seeing how they go.

BLM01

First Grade
Haha, pretty sure we are all very strong dragons fans in here mate. The fans who get desperately upset and talk about never watching another game are some of biggest diehards. The more invested the fans are the more upsetting it is to see the team do so poorly, hence the recent negativity.
These facebook fans that say support your team and be positive regardless of the results are the fake fans IMO.
True fans get angry.
Nothing wrong with losing hurting, being angry and any other adjective you can think of
It puts a dagger through me
But at the same time people need to be realistic and look at the bigger picture where we are and how we got here and look through the broken glass.
I look at the bright side. Imagine supporting a handful of teams below us on the ladder
But really ATM there is only a handful of clubs who have it together and have strong squads and are riding on top of the wave while the rest flounder
It will swing around but we can’t instantly go from 2020 back to 2010
When Bennett took over he had a good squad but needed a few outsiders to compliment the potential and ability we had.
Hook took over mostly a poor squad with a lot if experience being overpaid
Merrin was just one classic example of this

Crush

Coach
Nothing wrong with losing hurting, being angry and any other adjective you can think of
It puts a dagger through me
But at the same time people need to be realistic and look at the bigger picture where we are and how we got here and look through the broken glass.
I look at the bright side. Imagine supporting a handful of teams below us on the ladder
But really ATM there is only a handful of clubs who have it together and have strong squads and are riding on top of the wave while the rest flounder
It will swing around but we can’t instantly go from 2020 back to 2010
When Bennett took over he had a good squad but needed a few outsiders to compliment the potential and ability we had.
Hook took over mostly a poor squad with a lot if experience being overpaid
Merrin was just one classic example of this
I don’t want us to go back to 2010, I want us to go back to round 5 this season where we win our 4th game on the bounce and steamrolled Parramatta.
Maybe that’s why it so annoying to see the season unravel so badly, that false hope that they gave us.
Anyway, looking forward to better days ahead in coming seasons and hopefully a few little nice highlights at least in the last 6 weeks of footy this season.

Maddragon99

Juniors
If there is a silver lining here it is that Hook is getting a good look at some the 2022 squad in different positions and how they cope. This year is a goner so better to trial and prepare players in real games. If we Jag a win all the better.
There’s no silver lining, Hook won’t be our Coach in 2023 so we’re in for another rebuild. All this pain will be for nothing.

thebigredv

First Grade
I feel I am ok at looking at the bigger picture and others on here are much better than me as garnered from their posts over time. In my very honest opinion, our bigger picture is not great right now. It's just not no matter how you want to paint that picture. If we are trying to avoid the spoon each year I reckon we will be fine. If we wish to compete for the trophy in the near future then I am not really seeing it. There's no grand Penrith like plan at our club.

Not saying you are definitely wrong or deluded in anyway, but this has been going on and on and on with this club, and it gets to a stage that people reach the end of their tether, particularly with the board of this organisation.

I would say the only glimmerings for us are:

- we have a fresh CEO
- we seem to have a good coach (middle tier)
- we have a few junior backs who have shown promise
- we've recruited two rep forwards in our weakest area of the team

The negatives far outweigh these and are well documented. When you start comparing with some of the prospects of clubs both below and above us...well I can't help but be jealous. And I never used to feel that in amongst of all the club rivalry. I always had a strong sense of pride about my players but now fans are walking and I can understand why.

If I was an 80 years old Dragons fan. I would be pretty certain I would be a goner before our next trophy.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I feel I am ok at looking at the bigger picture and others on here are much better than me as garnered from their posts over time. In my very honest opinion, our bigger picture is not great right now. It's just not no matter how you want to paint that picture. If we are trying to avoid the spoon each year I reckon we will be fine. If we wish to compete for the trophy in the near future then I am not really seeing it. There's no grand Penrith like plan at our club.

Not saying you are definitely wrong or deluded in anyway, but this has been going on and on and on with this club, and it gets to a stage that people reach the end of their tether, particularly with the board of this organisation.

I would say the only glimmerings for us are:

- we have a fresh CEO
- we seem to have a good coach (middle tier)
- we have a few junior backs who have shown promise
- we've recruited two rep forwards in our weakest area of the team

The negatives far outweigh these and are well documented. When you start comparing with some of the prospects of clubs both below and above us...well I can't help but be jealous. And I never used to feel that in amongst of all the club rivalry. I always had a strong sense of pride about my players but now fans are walking and I can understand why.

If I was an 80 years old Dragons fan. I would be pretty certain I would be a goner before our next trophy.
Anthony Griffin is a fraud, he sold us all a pipe dream. The playing group is fractured and falling apart. Virtually no one is putting in which is why our defence is so terrible. So far our recruitment for next year is Su’a & Molo. Can anyone tell me where the improvement comes from next year?

We’ll be looking for a new coach for ‘23 & all this grief will be for nothing. We’ve missed out on Fitzgibbon so I honestly don’t know who a potential coach for ‘23 would be.

Looks like more years of mediocrity to me, a season that had so much hope & promise has become a nightmare.

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
Anthony Griffin is a fraud, he sold us all a pipe dream. The playing group is fractured and falling apart. Virtually no one is putting in which is why our defence is so terrible. So far our recruitment for next year is Su’a & Molo. Can anyone tell me where the improvement comes from next year?

We’ll be looking for a new coach for ‘23 & all this grief will be for nothing. We’ve missed out on Fitzgibbon so I honestly don’t know who a potential coach for ‘23 would be.

Looks like more years of mediocrity to me, a season that had so much hope & promise has become a nightmare.
Not sure where your hope and promise came from. Fitzgiibbon rejected us before we got hook if you thought just a change of coach and everything would be pretty wake up the club was in so much shit know one would be able to fix it in one year. The last coach had eight years if this guy gets half that we will be in a much better position. Chill out give the man some time.

thebigredv

First Grade

Too early to assess him as a fraud for mine. Needs a brief but reasonable period to reshape things and he just hasn't yet been given that time.

Not a fan of how he uses his Broncos connections but somehow his Penrith connections are not so forthcoming. Definitely some of his selections are up there with the Mary ones like Aitken and McCrone. However, our squad sucks and sucked before he got here and his teams do put in. Sometimes when you are losing, losing, losing, all the small things a coach does or doesn't do are amplified so trying to keep perspective. There's so much we don't see.

As I said, I won't be surprised if he walks at the end of his contract. You don't see that often in coaching. For as much as he defends his players, you just know underneath he can't believe their unprofessionalism and horrible lack of skill. After Norman, Pereira and Dufty, who he made the right call on I'd be going a lot further with a roster wipe which is wishful thinking (see ya Lomax you overrated cat, Kerr, Alvaro, Famausuli, Ellis, Beale, Ford just take a walk the lot of you Burns just looks like another Host to me). How the likes of Bird, JDB and McGuire make it up to him I don't know but the onus should be squarely on them. They are lucky they are good footy players.

The whole roster restoration appears to be happening too slowly but there's still time before round 1 next year. If I was sat in a room with Hook that'd be my first line of questioning.

I feel we are heading for mediocrity too. I just don't see an easy way out of this.

Latest posts