What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 v Rabbits

be55

Juniors
Talking about the coaches getsmarty, did you listen to the red v podcast this week and the interview with Kaid Ellis? I thought it was interesting to hear more about the coaching structure from a players perspective.
According to Ellis, Hook isn’t really giving them instruction on attack and defence or doing work with them at training, that’s Peter Gentle and Matt Head.
Hooks main role is building the culture and motivation. He is big on making sure the families are all included etc.
I was a little surprised by this. I would have thought that the head coach would be more involved in the technical aspects, team structures, attack and defence.
I know our defence needs work but I am more concerned about our attack at the moment, we just don’t look likely to score points unless it’s a crash play or a kick.
I’d love to see some slick backline plays.
I know we have had a rotating backline all year but that’s no excuse, look at Sharks backline, they’ve had as many changes as us but have maintained some potency throughout the year.
Hook must be so frustrated. The culture stinks and both the attack and defence are rubbish.
Must say i am a little surprised by this but i suppose every coach does things differently...I know one thing, that it's common knowledge that Bellamy does hours and hours of video on the opposition teams, basically as soon as the current game is over. And if you've ever seen him walking around with those note pads he carries with him, I'm fairly sure they are not full of motivational quotes.

And if you've ever heard Robinson talking tactics and game plans, i guarantee he's not delegating those aspects of coaching to someone else.

But like i said, each coach probably does things differently.

The only comment I'll make as far as Hook goes is, if his major role is culture and motivational, even his staunchest supporters would have to admit that, at the moment, he certainly seems to be failing in those aspects, considering he himself, specifically warned the players not to get together and get on the drink after the warriors game and they went ahead anyway, resulting in the debacle at Vaughan's place.

Also during the Bulldogs game, we played terribly in the first half but were only down by 2 at halftime, and I remember thinking that Hook will give them a rev up at halftime and we'll see a different team in the 2nd half as far as effort goes. The opposite happened when we came out, we gave up a try from their first set of six with the ball in the 2nd half and then went on to get spanked 28-6.

My biggest concern with Hook at the moment is that even though he is talking. the team don't seem to be listening. And that is a big concern for me as Hook's reputation, when he came to the club, was one of a no nonsense, hard taskmaster, who only accepted the best from his players and nothing less.

I think it's safe to say, that unfortunately, he is not getting that at the moment...

Crush

Coach
Must say i am a little surprised by this but i suppose every coach does things differently...I know one thing, that it's common knowledge that Bellamy does hours and hours of video on the opposition teams, basically as soon as the current game is over. And if you've ever seen him walking around with those note pads he carries with him, I'm fairly sure they are not full of motivational quotes.

And if you've ever heard Robinson talking tactics and game plans, i guarantee he's not delegating those aspects of coaching to someone else.

But like i said, each coach probably does things differently.

The only comment I'll make as far as Hook goes is, if his major role is culture and motivational, even his staunchest supporters would have to admit that, at the moment, he certainly seems to be failing in those aspects, considering he himself, specifically warned the players not to get together and get on the drink after the warriors game and they went ahead anyway, resulting in the debacle at Vaughan's place.

Also during the Bulldogs game, we played terribly in the first half but were only down by 2 at halftime, and I remember thinking that Hook will give them a rev up at halftime and we'll see a different team in the 2nd half as far as effort goes. The opposite happened when we came out, we gave up a try from their first set of six with the ball in the 2nd half and then went on to get spanked 28-6.

My biggest concern with Hook at the moment is that even though he is talking. the team don't seem to be listening. And that is a big concern for me as Hook's reputation, when he came to the club, was one of a no nonsense, hard taskmaster, who only accepted the best from his players and nothing less.

I think it's safe to say, that unfortunately, he is not getting that at the moment...
You make some excellent points mate.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I’m looking forward to seeing Su’a play I haven’t seen a lot of him. That’s about as positive as I can be about this game. I’ll be watching & cheering the boys on regardless though.

Dragsters

First Grade
I’m looking forward to seeing Su’a play I haven’t seen a lot of him. That’s about as positive as I can be about this game. I’ll be watching & cheering the boys on regardless though.

Su'A was a weapon last week, best game I've seen him play.

Ran great lines, scored one or two tries and nearly scored another couple.

If he is consistent we are in big trouble this week and in good stead next season...

FlameThrower

Bench
So a right royal shellacking is on the cards. I’d say we will be in it for the first 7 minutes. They’ll get a few repeat sets early on from our constant six again infringement. We’ll then barely touch the ball for rest of 1st half. They’ll go into half time 18+ on us. The usual inspirational half time speech will then kick in. South’s outside backs will be climbing over themselves to score hat tricks . End game 50+ and we may jag 1 try at the death. Missed tackles and errors will set new Olympic records.
Go the Dragons.

Dragon David

First Grade
So a right royal shellacking is on the cards. I’d say we will be in it for the first 7 minutes. They’ll get a few repeat sets early on from our constant six again infringement. We’ll then barely touch the ball for rest of 1st half. They’ll go into half time 18+ on us. The usual inspirational half time speech will then kick in. South’s outside backs will be climbing over themselves to score hat tricks . End game 50+ and we may jag 1 try at the death. Missed tackles and errors will set new Olympic records.
Go the Dragons.
A good outline of the game FT. They will beat us convincingly in 2nd gear.

getsmarty

Immortal
Talking about the coaches getsmarty, did you listen to the red v podcast this week and the interview with Kaid Ellis? I thought it was interesting to hear more about the coaching structure from a players perspective.
According to Ellis, Hook isn’t really giving them instruction on attack and defence or doing work with them at training, that’s Peter Gentle and Matt Head.
Hooks main role is building the culture and motivation. He is big on making sure the families are all included etc.
I was a little surprised by this. I would have thought that the head coach would be more involved in the technical aspects, team structures, attack and defence.
I know our defence needs work but I am more concerned about our attack at the moment, we just don’t look likely to score points unless it’s a crash play or a kick.
I’d love to see some slick backline plays.
I know we have had a rotating backline all year but that’s no excuse, look at Sharks backline, they’ve had as many changes as us but have maintained some potency throughout the year.
Hook must be so frustrated. The culture stinks and both the attack and defence are rubbish.

I think this is pretty common these days @Crush. Coaching is generally done by a team of people...it was a great podcast this week. Maybe @George Dragon could chime in and give us some goss from training...he seems to have close sources to the paddock.

Pablooo

Juniors
While the Dragons are missing players and are well against the odds in this game, I wouldn’t be predicting any huge blowout scores. Souths are also missing some talent and have had points scored against them in most of their games this year. They are either missing or will be resting from their starting 17- Reynolds, Murray, Johnston, Tatola, Knight possibly Graham and Sele. I’d have a little faith in at least putting in a good show.

Dragon David

First Grade
While the Dragons are missing players and are well against the odds in this game, I wouldn’t be predicting any huge blowout scores. Souths are also missing some talent and have had points scored against them in most of their games this year. They are either missing or will be resting from their starting 17- Reynolds, Murray, Johnston, Tatola, Knight possibly Graham and Sele. I’d have a little faith in at least putting in a good show.
Nice to see someone with some positive dialogue. I hope you are right Pablooo.

getsmarty

Immortal

2010Dragons

Bench
If the Rabbitoh don't beat us by 60 point, I will consider that a good game for our lazy, useless dumb party boys f**kers !!