What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

BLM01

First Grade
Interesting that our top 30 squad has to be finalsed by Sunday. A lot of mystery around whether Mbye is on our radar, or anyone else for that matter.

However, before we start jumping to conclusions (aka the Lomax rumour), take a look at our current squad first.
We have 13 backs and 14 forwards (confirmed)

Backs:
Clune, Hunt, Williame, Ramsey, Norman, Bird, Sullivan, JP, Mat F, Max F, Dufty, Rava & Lomax.
Forwards:
Macca, Brittain, Burns, Lawrie, McInnes, Alvaro, JDB, Ford, Kerr, Maguire, Ellis, Poasa, Sims & Fui.
Total = 27

Now, what about Amone & Sloan who started the season as DS players. Have they, or will they, or should they been move to the top 30 now. If so, then we would have 29. So, what about Beale? Came on a T&T contract, has that already been turned into a full time contract player. If so, we now have our full compliment of players.

Now, back to the Mbye or/and anyone else rumour. If what I said above is true, then how do we squeeze Mbye in this year?

There were rumours that McInnes had already gone to the Sharks. However, unless we have cancelled his contract, he still counts on our list.
Maybe one or both of Amone or Sloan stay in the DS at least for the remainder of this year, or even Beale remaining on his T&T.
Any one of those would create a position.

The only other option would be Brittain, who has had his medical issues around concussions, so early retirement? Or moved to the DS (i do believe it's possible).

I await will anticipation, what will happen over the next 3 days.
People seem to be confusing training trial contract said by clubs as something separate to an NRL contract.
you cannot play NRL unless he has a registered NRL contract or one of those dispensations first development players
Beale is included in our numbers
the training / trial I am sure is a reference used by the club to say we just bring him in on a minimum for the rest of the year to see if there’s any thing worthy to offering more pass this year

be55

Juniors
To be fair the doomsayers will say Hook knew nothing about weekend at Vaughan’s so does that means Zac is going.
Of course Hook knew nothing about what happened or was going to happen at Vaughan's place. You don't have to be Einstein to work that out. But i think what the so called "doomsayers" are commenting on, is the fact that Hook spoke, and the playing group completely ignored him.

I'll ask you a question...

Does the fact that Hook specifically asked the group not to get together and get on the drink, and they chose to completely ignore him, show a lack of respect from the players towards the coach...yes or no ?

Coffs dragon

Bench
Does anybody know if Matt Elliott is still the assistant coach in charge of attack?
I haven’t seen him in any of the recent training pics & you only seem to see Peter Gentle sitting next to Hook in the coaches box.
Matt Head & Shaun Timmins also seem to have more involvement in the pecking order pigs trough.
Not sure if Matt Elliot has been caught up in the Covid shit or perhaps he is too much ex Saints aligned for Flush Gordon & the Illawarra rat pack.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Of course Hook knew nothing about what happened or was going to happen at Vaughan's place. You don't have to be Einstein to work that out. But i think what the so called "doomsayers" are commenting on, is the fact that Hook spoke, and the playing group completely ignored him.

Does the fact that Hook specifically asked the group not to get together and get on the drink, and they chose to completely ignore him, show a lack of respect from the players towards the coach...yes or no ?

I would answer no.
12 members of said playing group (out of 30ish players) does not give representation of everybody. Vaughan was well know as a 'ring leader' hence he was the one who organised this get-together. The fact these 12 went along for the ride doesn't reflect on the coach at all, or Haran or the Club for that matter.
We don't know what was said in the phone calls to come to the party, and it stated that some declined the invitation. So, in saying that, a greater proportion of the playing group complied with the Coach's orders.

Those 12 have been dealt with, both financially and through serving suspensions, and they are fully aware they have severely impacted the teams push to the finals.

Hook's position as coach is safe and to assume otherwise is just putting the cart before the horse.

Rogue elements within the club are being weeded out, we've seen 3 of these given their, for want of better words, marching orders already.

George Dragon

Juniors
Does anybody know if Matt Elliott is still the assistant coach in charge of attack?
I haven’t seen him in any of the recent training pics & you only seem to see Peter Gentle sitting next to Hook in the coaches box.
Matt Head & Shaun Timmins also seem to have more involvement in the pecking order pigs trough.
Not sure if Matt Elliot has been caught up in the Covid shit or perhaps he is too much ex Saints aligned for Flush Gordon & the Illawarra rat pack.

Matt remained in Wollongong with the players who didn't go to Qld

Maddragon99

Juniors
I would answer no.
12 members of said playing group (out of 30ish players) does not give representation of everybody. Vaughan was well know as a 'ring leader' hence he was the one who organised this get-together. The fact these 12 went along for the ride doesn't reflect on the coach at all, or Haran or the Club for that matter.
We don't know what was said in the phone calls to come to the party, and it stated that some declined the invitation. So, in saying that, a greater proportion of the playing group complied with the Coach's orders.

Those 12 have been dealt with, both financially and through serving suspensions, and they are fully aware they have severely impacted the teams push to the finals.

Hook's position as coach is safe and to assume otherwise is just putting the cart before the horse.

Rogue elements within the club are being weeded out, we've seen 3 of these given their, for want of better words, marching orders already.
It’s been a lack of respect in the the club, the jersey, the coach & most importantly themselves. It’s a fiasco & this is showing in on field results. The huge drop in form happened well before the BBQ which shows that there are massive problems behind closed doors.

Hook has a epic challenge ahead of him to rally the playing group & save his job.

Only time will tell.

TruSaint

Referee
I would answer no.

Disagree,

All the reports post " BBQgate" suggested the players were TOLD to wait until later to engage in any get -together.

12 players decided to screw that recommendation, and let's be real, screw our season.

12 players is damning. Total disrespect to the coach, Club, sponsors and fans.

So our Club has had to endure a month of footy, without 4-5 key players per game, leading up to the finals series.

As much as we wont challenge for the title this year, I would love to see us playing in September. After all, thats what the season is all about. Getting to the playoffs, and lets see what pans out.

Hooks position being safe is a financial matter. And I will say, he deserves more time to see what pans out. However, he is the head coach and players absolutely shoved his advice where the sun dont shine.

The Club needs to address the rotten stench of entitlement from our playing group.

denis preston

First Grade

Has it been proven that Hook specifically said this ?

Maddragon99

Juniors
Disagree,

All the reports post " BBQgate" suggested the players were TOLD to wait until later to engage in any get -together.

12 players decided to screw that recommendation, and let's be real, screw our season.

So our Club has had to endure a month of footy, without 4-5 key players per game, leading up to the finals series.

As much as we wont challenge for the title this year, I would love to see us playing in September. After all, thats what the season is all about. Getting to the playoffs, and lets see what pans out.

Hooks position being safe is a financial matter. And I will say, he deserves more time to see what pans out. However, he is the head coach and players absolutely shoved his advice where the sun dont shine.

The Club needs to address the rotten stench of entitlement from our playing group.
Realistically Hook has until round 6 next year to turn it around otherwise the search will commence. 4 & 2 he keeps his job, 2 &.4 then he’s gone.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
The BBQ happened under Griffin’s watch which clearly shows a lack of respect in the coach & the jersey. Remember the playing group was clearly told to keep out of trouble on the bye weekend.

I watched the 2010 grand final again recently to cheer myself up, remember Dean Young kissing his jersey after he scored? Is there a player in our current team that would do the same? I don’t think so.
But couldn’t you say the same thing towards the NSW and Penrith coach regarding their hooker’s recent behaviour..? It’s not play school, they’re big boys. Can’t blame coaches for poor off- field decisions imo.

Last edited:

be55

Juniors
I would answer no.

So in your eyes, 12 players defying a direct order from the coach, doesn't show a lack of respect.

Okay... you keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

And who cares who the ring leader was. 12 grown adults decided to completely ignore a directive from the coach and did what they wanted anyway.

You say "a greater proportion of the playing group complied with the coach's orders".

That's great...12 didn't

Not 1,2 or 3, TWELVE senior players decided "you know what, f**k you Griffin and your orders, i'm off to Paul's place to get hammered". None of them were taking into account what the coach said when they made their decision to go.

If you don't think that doesn't reflect badly on the coach you're deluded.

And i never said Hook wasn't safe...i don't want him sacked. I endorsed him when we signed him and thanked him for our performance after beating the Eels. All i am doing is pointing out the obvious, that what happened the weekend of the bye, shows a lack of respect of the coach by the players

Anyway...

Something tells me that if it was Doust that gave the players the order to stay home, and they completely ignored it, your attitude to it all would be slightly different i think...

Last edited:

be55

Juniors
Disagree,

Spot on 👍

Old Timer

Coach
My comment was posted in the context of the rumour of Zac wanting a release. Maybe this true or maybe it’s not. But in any case he’s let his teammates down by attending the BBQ & then having to leave the bubble. I think he’s got something to prove as a result & he needs to bring his best form when he returns. So yes in that context I think he does need to harden up.
Like a few others I think you have given credence / legitimacy to secret whispers and a lot of wild conjecture.

IMO Lomax has always given his all on the field and from what I understand also on the training paddock and in the gym so he in fact has nothing to prove or harden up about.

Again IMO it is time for people to put their hands up and say they got way too testy over nothing.

I would go so far as to say that Lomax is owed an apology from a few in this place for the simple reason they are doubting his allegiance and are far too quick to give him the finger as they send him off for no apparent reason.

Re the BBQ affair yes he got it wrong but but so did the rest of them and just because he was cautious in relation to signing a set of quickly cobbled together quasi legal documents some people want to make that out to be a mortal sin.

All power to him for understanding what legal implications were involved and not being a lemming following those that hid in cupboards & under beds, ran off pretending they were out for a jog, let alone leaving a wallet and cars behind in a rush to get out of view.

But of course it is easy for some to post harshly & negatively on him but include the proviso of "if it is true" rather than saying well Lomax is a good young fellow and until proven otherwise he is part of the future of our club.

Maddragon99

Juniors
But couldn’t you say the same thing towards the NSW and Penrith coach regarding the hooker’s recent behaviour..? It’s not play school they’re big boys. Can’t blame coaches for poor off- field decisions imo.
We can’t complete with the powerhouse clubs like the Roosters or Storm so all we have is passion in the jersey to equal the playing field. 2009 & 2010 was a combination of passion focused by an elite coach.

Latest posts