What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 v Rabbits

Brutalitops

Juniors
Worth noting NRL players have not been in a bubble for the last few days. They are members of the community and should be treated as such. I want games to go ahead too but it is what it is, and likely the right call in the end.

George Dragon

Juniors
The NRL plans to reschedule all games from today to either tomorrow or Monday – and play the matches in regional Queensland.
A snap lockdown in south-east Queensland has impacted today’s three games — Souths v St George Illawarra in Rockhampton, along with a Suncorp Stadium double header — Knights v Canberra and Storm v Panthers.

Plans are underway to reschedule the games on Sunday or Monday in front of empty stadiums.

NRL sources have told The Daily Telegraph that the games will be in either Townsville or other regional areas outside of the south-east Queensland lockdown zones.

In a developing story:

* The Raiders and Knights game has been postponed. The NRL was attempting to shift the game to Canberra’s GIO Stadium, but the logistics have proven too difficult.

* South Sydney players arrived in Rockhampton for their scheduled 3pm clash with the Dragons but were told they must not leave the plane. They were then told they would be flying back to Brisbane.

* Dragons players remained at their Brisbane hotel as they awaited word of today’s match

jeffdragon

Bench
The NRL plans to reschedule all games from today to either tomorrow or Monday – and play the matches in regional Queensland.
A snap lockdown in south-east Queensland has impacted today’s three games — Souths v St George Illawarra in Rockhampton, along with a Suncorp Stadium double header — Knights v Canberra and Storm v Panthers.

Plans are underway to reschedule the games on Sunday or Monday in front of empty stadiums.

NRL sources have told The Daily Telegraph that the games will be in either Townsville or other regional areas outside of the south-east Queensland lockdown zones.

In a developing story:

* The Raiders and Knights game has been postponed. The NRL was attempting to shift the game to Canberra’s GIO Stadium, but the logistics have proven too difficult.

* South Sydney players arrived in Rockhampton for their scheduled 3pm clash with the Dragons but were told they must not leave the plane. They were then told they would be flying back to Brisbane.

* Dragons players remained at their Brisbane hotel as they awaited word of today’s match

We play raiders on Friday.
So it's either tomorrow or reschedule next week as well.

Crush

Coach
I don’t understand why they couldn’t use a little commonsense here. I mean they have had 6 cases. Why the hell couldn’t they play these games today In front of zero crowds? Why wouldn’t they let Rabbits off plane to play game in Rockhampton?
What is the difference between letting them play today or postponing until tomorrow?
What’s going to change in 24 hours? Am I missing something?

Dragon David

First Grade
What if the cases double/triple in the next 24 hours? Will these postponed games be deferred indefinitely? I feel for the people of Rockhampton and Hunt and Griffin. If this game is played elsewhere, Rocky misses out to what would have been a great occasion for the area. Will the people who organised this game be compensated for any costs incurred already?

In 2020, the competition was shortened to 20 games each team. Will this happen again?

The QLD Health Minister has to do the right thing for the community so how will all of this affect the NRL - a lot I'm thinking.

matPORTS

Juniors
NSW 'one week snap lockdown' (limited LGAs) has turned into what is looking like a two month total lockdown for the most populous parts of the state.

VIC 'five day snap lockdown' turned into just a tad over two weeks.

QLD 'three day snap lockdown' is currently TBA on it's actual end date - the shops apparently packed to the rafters with panic buying as soon as the announcement was made...

Depending on how the transmission numbers trend tomorrow, it wouldn't surprise me if the NRL moves to change the location of it's bubble completely.

Back on NSW - in case you might not have realised Gladys - getting back to 'zero' is not going to happen I'm sorry. What's your plan to get us out of this? Some news outlets reporting leaks from the crisis cabinet that extensions into September already being planned for. That's not good enough I'm sorry.

As much as we are up the clangor, I'm also glad we're not like all the other states... for every one of NSW lockdowns it seems they all have three or four (from little things big things grow - VIC has had over six of the last eighteen months worth of them).

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
NSW 'one week snap lockdown' is still going.
QLD 'three day snap lockdown' is currently TBA on it's actual end date - the shops apparently packed to the rafters with panic buying as soon as the announcement was made...

Depending on how the transmission numbers trend tomorrow, it wouldn't surprise me if the NRL moves to change the location of it's bubble completely.
Move it to ACT.
Play every game there for the rest of the year including GF. Don’t give QLD another game regardless if they open back up in 3 days.

Dragon David

First Grade
NSW 'one week snap lockdown' is still going.

Maybe. If they change locations of the bubbles, do you think it could be another State other than the eastern ones? Lots of dramas with costs, air fares, families, quarantines, and would take quite a few days to organise accommodation and what not. This is not looking good at all.

st.phil

Bench
I don’t understand why they couldn’t use a little commonsense here. I mean they have had 6 cases. Why the hell couldn’t they play these games today In front of zero crowds? Why wouldn’t they let Rabbits off plane to play game in Rockhampton?
What is the difference between letting them play today or postponing until tomorrow?
What’s going to change in 24 hours? Am I missing something?
It’s QLD

matPORTS

Juniors
Maybe. If they change locations of the bubbles, do you think it could be another State other than the eastern ones? Lots of dramas with costs, air fares, families, quarantines, and would take quite a few days to organise accommodation and what not. This is not looking good at all.

I guess North QLD, ACT and VIC would be the options. Not sure how feasible the other states are given time zone differences in terms of broadcasting. V'Landys and the NRL will move heaven and earth to keep this comp alive I'm sure.

See, further to my now edited post... I'm sure the biosecurity team that forms part of NRL Project Apollo have always worked on the notion that COVID will forever be existent in the community (and the Australian community as a whole, including our stupid politicians, need to wake up and realise pretty quick smart as well).

The level system protocols are in place to adjust on the fly as needed. This is also why V'Landys pushed so hard to not only get the comp back underway last year, but to also get teams back at their proper home grounds and have crowds rolling back through the gates as soon as possible.

Basically, there shouldn't be any reason why the games today have suddenly been called off. Sure - have no crowds, move our game from Rocky back to Brisbane or the Gold Coast. But there is no reason to call off these matches completely.

V'Landys should be PM or Premier of NSW !