What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

Do you want Brad Arthur as coach

• Yes

Votes: 107 48.9%
  • No

Votes: 112 51.1%

• Total voters

Noise

Coach
Start of season W.Smith was our back up half.
Lussick and Roache back up hookers.
Timing meant Smith was injured. Arthur's got a shot. Hopefully we dint have to use him the rest of year. I think he'll be a lot better next year.

Shame NSW cups stopped. This is ruining the development of juniors who already where ruined last season. Could be a shortage of talent now.
Jordan Rankin was also a backup half.

lucablight

First Grade
I never heard of Filiga until he became synonymous with shit recruitment. I still don't know who Greg Waddell is. But SBW I heard of while he was still in Jersey Flegg. That's the hype I'm talking about. The same hype around Latrell Mitchell, Sam Walker and Joseph Suaali.

Everyone did, before he ever signed with the Roosters. He was off contract this year and had to be fast tracked into first grade or the vultures would've snapped him up. The first step was dumping Flanagan, the next was rushing Walker straight into reserve grade. Nobody rated Lachlan Lam, and they still don't. You think the Roosters are stupid? Lam was a warm body filling a jersey until Walker was ready. Lam barely touched the ball ffs.
Filiga was being called the next SBW and Waddell was touted as one of the best junior players ever.

How much was Suaalii hyped up? Did you see him dominating this season? There’s no such thing as a sure thing. Even if everyone thought Walker was going to be a star there was no guarantee it would be this season.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Filiga was being called the next SBW and Waddell was touted as one of the best junior players ever.

How much was Suaalii hyped up?
A lot more than Filiga or that Waddell bloke I'd never heard of.
Did you see him dominating this season?
He's 17 ffs. But he did dominate in reserve grade. Even in first grade he showed his physical gifts. He was just a bit intimidated, like you would have been at 17 playing against NRL players.

But he doesn't need to dominate at 17 to be a sure thing. Given the rest of Easts' roster he didn't even need to play first grade unless there was an injury.
There’s no such thing as a sure thing. Even if everyone thought Walker was going to be a star there was no guarantee it would be this season.
He only had to be a first grader this season. Given how far ahead of most first graders he already is as a playmaker is safe to conclude the Roosters knew he would be up to NRL standard as a half. The only question would've been over his defence (which is barely NRL standard, and not as good as Jake Arthur's).

Which brings me to the requirements of a backup player. They need to be able to contribute in defence, even as a half, because they won't be expected to carry the attack or the kicking game like a first choice halfback. This is why Jake Arthur is likely to be a perfect backup never year. He's already shown he can defend at NRL level. He just needs to bulk up and work on his technique over the off season to eliminate the lapses. Mitch Moses managed to do it. Arthur will too. His defence against the Chooks was excellent. He just happened to have his worst ever kicking game.

lucablight

First Grade
A lot more than Filiga or that Waddell bloke is never heard of.

He's 17 ffs. But he did dominate in reserve grade. Even in first grade he showed his physical gifts. He was just a bit intimidated, like you would have been at 17 playing against NRL players.
He only had to be a first grader this season. Given how far ahead of most first graders he already is as a playmaker is safe to conclude the Roosters knew he would be up to NRL standard as a half. The only question would've been over his defence (which is barely NRL standard, and not as good as Jake Arthur's).

Which brings me to the requirements of a backup player. They need to be able to contribute in defence, even as a half, because they won't be expected to carry the attack or the kicking game like a first choice halfback. This is why Jake Arthur is likely to be a perfect backup never year. He's already shown he can defend at NRL level. He just needs to bulk up and work on his technique over the off season to eliminate the lapses. Mitch Moses managed to do it. Arthur will too. His defence against the Chooks was excellent. He just happened to have his worst ever kicking game.
You do know that at the time Filiga and Waddell were not unheard of? Just because you haven’t heard of them doesn’t mean they weren’t hyped at the time.

So Suaali’i only had to be a solid first grader at 17 this season but Walker was guaranteed to be a superstar at 18 in a much more influential position? What?

I don’t know what games you’ve been watching but I can’t agree with you about Jake Arthur’s defence being NRL level at all. He has been shown up repeatedly and he’s a liability in the defensive line right now.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So Suaali’i only had to be a solid first grader at 17 this season but Walker was guaranteed to be a superstar at 18 in a much more influential position? What?
Now you're deliberately mistating my position. Suaali didn't need to do anything this year because the Roosters had their top 17 outside backs covered. He only needed to be a backup. Walker needed to step up because their only NRL quality halfback was Keary. And Walker didn't need to be a superstar, just a first grader. That's all that's required of a top 17 player. Stars are a bonus and the Chooks already have a few in their squad.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don’t know what games you’ve been watching but I can’t agree with you about Jake Arthur’s defence being NRL level at all. He has been shown up repeatedly and he’s a liability in the defensive line right now.
That describes nearly every half, and your focusing on Arthur comes across as disingenuous. While I agree he's had a couple of poor defensive performances (like any kid his age), he has bounced back from them well. I think he will be a solid first grader one day. He could be the perfect backup as soon as next year.

lucablight

First Grade
Now you're deliberately mistating my position. Suaali didn't need to do anything this year because the Roosters had their top 17 outside backs covered. He only needed to be a backup. Walker needed to step up because their only NRL quality halfback was Keary. And Walker didn't need to be a superstar, just a first grader. That's all that's required of a top 17 player. Stars are a bonus and the Chooks already have a few in their squad.
So how is that any different to our situation? Walker was Keary’s backup and Arthur is evidently Moses’ backup.

lucablight

First Grade
That describes nearly every half, and your focusing on Arthur comes across as disingenuous. While I agree he's had a couple of poor defensive performances (like any kid his age), he has bounced back from them well. I think he will be a solid first grader one day. He could be the perfect backup as soon as next year.
I don’t think I’m being disingenuous at all. Even if you want to push the narrative that nearly every half is a bad defender, Arthur’s defence is still well below NRL standard at this point in time. Even Sterlo was saying that it’s probably time to give Will Smith a turn rather than continue to persist with Arthur for now.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So how is that any different to our situation? Walker was Keary’s backup and Arthur is evidently Moses’ backup.
Walker wasn't Keary's backup. Given the low quality of Lam and Hutchison (actual backups), Walker was coming into the side as soon as his defence was ready.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don’t think I’m being disingenuous at all. Even if you want to push the narrative that nearly every half is a bad defender, Arthur’s defence is still well below NRL standard at this point in time. Even Sterlo was saying that it’s probably time to give Will Smith a turn rather than continue to persist with Arthur for now.
I thought so too, against Canberra, but against the Chooks he was impressive.