What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many weeks for Latrell?

In all this… anyone know how Joey Manu is doing considering?

All the focus is on Mitchell, Bunker etc. but heard nothing much on Manu.

Suffering that kind of injury must be awful… you could see it in his eyes, especially when he held his nose and the pressure popped his cheek out.

Richie Barnett suffered savage facial injuries in a headclash with Wendell Sailor years ago and it basically ended his career…

Corey Norman copped a similar injury to manu from a Sivo hit, and when he eventually came back, he was very very reticent to run to the line. Can see why.

Hoping he comes back ok enough.

Zadar

Juniors
All week the promotion has been history, rivalry and hate.

Is it any wonder there was friction and agro? It’s been getting worse each year over the past decade.

Latrell should get minimum 10-12 weeks. He’s basically on his last chance now, really. If that was ‘your team’s’ player hurt…then you’d bay for blood.

Wayne will just have to get Taaffee at FB and Que sera sera.

I actually like Manu. It was pretty bad to see him in distress. I’m not a huge Robbo fan but FMD the in game reffing, touchies, bunker and admin has been inconsistent and woeful all year. Unloading was justified imho.

I reckon NRL deadset will love this. Headlines and passions flaring in the fan base and media.
To be honest, if Latrell had gone up to Manu and showed any form of concern or apology, it would of shown that there can be a tough rivalry, but also that there is a respect for playing a tough game.

Latrell may well come out today and apologise, but that will be just to save face and get some sympathy.

The soft spot I always had for Latrell has now completely gone.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The injury is irrelevant. I feel for the bloke but that should never be taken into consideration when worse hits can lead to no damage. Latrell wasn't off his feet and Manu was falling. Players jumping clear off the ground and getting someone high have only been hit with a grade 2 so this is a grade 1.

Generalzod

Immortal
The injury is irrelevant. I feel for the bloke but that should never be taken into consideration when worse hits can lead to no damage. Latrell wasn't off his feet and Manu was falling. Players jumping clear off the ground and getting someone high have only been hit with a grade 2 so this is a grade 1.
Geez it was a careless stupid act , if it happened in society he'll be in front of judge now...

That's more laughable than the fact that it was only a sin-bin

mave

Coach

It's a bit early to be on the turps, isn't it?

Valheru

Coach

He was falling because he was being tackled by 2 others not because he slipped or ducked which makes things actually look even worse for latrell. Latrell is completely and utterly responsible for the high contact there and should face 6 weeks minimum for the hit alone

soc123_au

Staff member
If the mrc is serious the charge will begin with the word Reckless. Anything other than that is a farce. Latrell's actions when he gets the red mist are the very definition of Reckless and until he gets that through his skull nothing will change.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Geez it was a careless stupid act , if it happened in society he'll be in front of judge now...
Every single upper body tackle takes the risk that the ball player will drop 6 inches at the last second either from falling or being tackled by someone else and a good impact on a shoulder becomes a nasty high shot. That does not mean there is any intent. Some of the social media nonsense has been absolutely ridiculous. People arguing Latrell was targeting his head are off their head.

If this is treated like a worst category tackle when it clearly isn't solely because of how severe the injury is then there is absolutely no justice in the system.

And about "in society" you can kill someone with your car and not get any jail time at all if your actions weren't deliberately dangerous.

Generalzod

Immortal
Every single upper body tackle takes the risk that the ball player will drop 6 inches at the last second either from falling or being tackled by someone else and a good impact on a shoulder becomes a nasty high shot. That does not mean there is any intent. Some of the social media nonsense has been absolutely ridiculous. People arguing Latrell was targeting his head are off their head.

If this is treated like a worst category tackle when it clearly isn't solely because of how severe the injury is then there is absolutely no justice in the system.

And about "in society" you can kill someone with your car and not get any jail time at all if your actions weren't deliberately dangerous.
I understand what you are saying there are risk playing football, but this was not a normal tackle....

soc123_au

Staff member

It was reckless bro. Intent is irrelevant.

BunniesMan

Immortal
He was falling because he was being tackled by 2 others not because he slipped or ducked which makes things actually look even worse for latrell. Latrell is completely and utterly responsible for the high contact there and should face 6 weeks minimum for the hit alone
He can't be blamed for what the situation is at the point of impact because players aren't bloody robots, they don't make instant decisions and can't freeze themselves. He should only be judged based on what the situation was when he made the decision to make the tackle. Manu wasn't getting lowered at that point. He can't predict the future and tell how effective the other tackler will be before it happens. It's natural instinct for a defender to proceed as if the ball player is a risk to break through and score.

Valheru

Coach

You are a prize moron

Tyrell Fuimaono wasn’t off his feet and Papenhuyzen was falling.

Fui got 5 weeks.

Valheru

Coach
He can't be blamed for what the situation is at the point of impact because players aren't bloody robots, they don't make instant decisions and can't freeze themselves. He should only be judged based on what the situation was when he made the decision to make the tackle. Manu wasn't getting lowered at that point. He can't predict the future and tell how effective the other tackler will be before it happens. It's natural instinct for a defender to proceed as if the ball player is a risk to break through and score.

You won't be seeing him again this year, best get used to it.

some11

Referee
Cleary's wasn't that much different and he didn't even have a case to answer, Latrell was making an arm wrapping motion, they can at least use that in their defense

Latrell is about 30 kg's heavier, got him flush and I think more importantly caused an injury. If he doesn't injure him is it even a talking point? I'm going to say no
Mitchell had 0 control over that tackle.

He came flying in targeting Manu at an angle destined to flatten him with no wrapping motion at all.

beave

Coach
So the in game punishment for Latrell was 10 mins in the bin.

Lachlan Burr got the same punishment for an innocuous incident where Tedesco fell into him at Magic Round earlier in the year....... Tell me what was f**king worse?? Latrell should have been marched for the rest of the game. The NRL ruined Magic Round and the following 5-6 weeks of footy with the bullshit 'crackdown' and then allowed that shit last night just makes me shake my head.

Let's be entirely honest, the NRL is an abortion of a sport in 2021. The only consistent thing about it is the inconsistency. Changing rules for ridiculous reasons (last year mid season as well) other than watching Melbourne and Penrith play at a high level, there is not a lot to like about the NRL this year.

If there wasn't a team from my home town in the comp I think I would be done with it. 35 odd years I've followed this sport and probably spent a house deposit following NQ and I've never been more disinterested and disillusioned with where the game has headed.

Last edited:

Latest posts