What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys game.

BBTB

Juniors
D

If we didn’t make the finals, a large proportion of our supporters were going to call for his head. Even though in reality in paper no coach in the comp had us making any serious dent in the comp. We have players that for years haven’t been coached the basic fundamentals. That can’t be undone in a season. He has Hunt, Ravalawa in career best form finally. Some of his positional changes are head scratchers but I guess with the squad he inherited if things weren’t working there was always going to be some experiments to figure out what works and what doesn’t. We got rid of some dead wood. Bought some handy players, will have a full off season of JDB rather than mid season signing after a long layoff. We know Bird doesn’t work at 1, we know Norman doesn’t work at all. The one thing I do want though now that he’s done his experiments is to pick and stick.
After today we know Bird is definitely not a centre. To slow.....

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Agree, noticed the medical staff were checking his arm as well so might have suffered an injury
I noticed that too.

People neglecting that the 3 consecutive tries that happened after Sullivan went off we didn't touch the ball, so I doubt he being on would've stopped those anyway.

Was purely players switching off at half time and defence turned in to melted butter.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I’m an outsider looking in. My now passed on father in law was a Dragons tragic so I have empathy with you guys. I just think Hook is worth preserving with for at least 2022 before you cast him aside because whether you like it or not he really was on a hiding to nothing this season.
I agree, we just don’t have the squad. Throw in injuries, Suspensions and BBQ gate to an already below par squad and it isn’t easy.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I posted the same comment after the Penrith game.

If anyone is unsure about Griffin listen to the post match press conference. He’s got absolutely nothing.

Griffin is an idiot masquerading as a first grade coach. We are never going to Achieve anything with this fool in charge.

kit66

Bench
Im like everyone else on this forum. Felt good to be a dragon at halftime and impressed by what the next generation were capable of. Alas the next 40 minutes summed up the year. Couldnt believe the non involement of norman . If Hunt was out there we win pure and simple . thought our plays were once again dumb and non existent close to line thought norman would be hooked with sullivan to half but n o lets bench a kid that we hunted as a loan player . I like what I see with Bud at hooker so lets leave him there and he becomes our utility OR pension mcullough off and have Bud and Mbye in the team as hookers / utilities. we are desperate for burgess molo su'a for next year with Ford , fui alvaro making up the numbers . these new forwards should give simms a new lease of life as he is only a shadow of his soo form . Now does hook leave the kids in against a red hot souths or does he do a mary and let hunt/ jp / ellis / norman run around so us fans can "appreciate" them one more time

Sullivan is a half and a very talented one, a real gun in fact, I'd hate to see him wasted at hooker. I'm sure he'd be happy to play wherever we needed him but he must be given time alongside Amone in the halves. Hunt is a great Hooker and a better option there than McCullough.

kit66

Bench

If anyone is unsure about Griffin listen to the post match press conference. He’s got absolutely nothing.

Griffin is an idiot masquerading as a first grade coach. We are never going to Achieve anything with this fool in charge.

He's had a lot of distractions that need to be taken into account- lengthy suspensions, BBQ suspensions, injuries to key players etc. These forced his hand where selections were concerned at times. I know a lot of fans have taken issue with his selections, especially Norman - me included - but you go with the players with experience when you're short on troops, not throw rookies in the deep end - well until it doesn't matter any more.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Sullivan is a half and a very talented one, a real gun in fact, I'd hate to see him wasted at hooker. I'm sure he'd be happy to play wherever we needed him but he must be given time alongside Amone in the halves. Hunt is a great Hooker and a better option there than McCullough.
Amone has really kicked on this year so I’d expect Amone at 6 & Hunt at 7 Sullivan to be a utility unless Hunt is out injured.

Given Sullivan’s utility value makes you wonder why we bought Mbye? Another genius decision by the master coach.

Illusion

Bench

I tend to agree the guy doesn't inspire me ..... So does he inspire the team ? ..... Time will tell ....

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I hope that in 2023 when Hunt comes off contract if we re sign him it is as a hooker. By then Sullivan and Amone should be well ready.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Amone has really kicked on this year so I’d expect Amone at 6 & Hunt at 7 Sullivan to be a utility unless Hunt is out injured.

Given Sullivan’s utility value makes you wonder why we bought Mbye? Another genius decision by the master coach.
He's had a lot of distractions that need to be taken into account- lengthy suspensions, BBQ suspensions, injuries to key players etc. These forced his hand where selections were concerned at times. I know a lot of fans have taken issue with his selections, especially Norman - me included - but you go with the players with experience when you're short on troops, not throw rookies in the deep end - well until it doesn't matter any more.
Very interesting post, persisting with Beale, Bird at Fullback, bringing Dufty back for a single game, bringing back Sloan and of course his unhealthy obsession with Corey Norman. The facts tend to differ.

Griffin is old fool. Mark my words Anthony Griffin won’t be our coach in 2023.

thebigredv

First Grade
I tend to agree the guy doesn't inspire me ..... So does he inspire the team ? ..... Time will tell ....
Let's be real guys. The place was a mess before him. No one can deny this and as I say this ain't personal or meant to be malicious, he or whoever took the gig was caught between a rock and hard place. He was given two years to work his magic and deserves to see those through, especially on account of little to zero better alternatives at the moment. Having said that, if we look at the cold hard facts, half way through it's a big fat fail. It is now to a point where you could argue that last year was a better year for us, coach and all. Now that's scary. I just really hope the club is looking closely at a succession plan in the interests of contingency.

Next year we will all be pumped for a new year come March - a couple decent recruits upfront and some great young backs who, although yet to have what i'd call 'break out' games, show signs of being first rate players.

Now some forum posters, including those who have scampered off into the ether and go very quiet on nights such as this, will try to convince you that it takes years to get results. It does take years to take Mary's mess and turn it into a premiership, but considering we are talking about a professional sport, you can't possibly say that the club is heading in the right direction yet. It isn't. There are some worrying signs, there are some positive signs but overall there's not going to be huge expectation or hype for 2022 given how much ground we must make up to be a finals team. Look at the continual character of the group...there's just not the grit, connection and cohesiveness, nor the footballing smarts or composure a competitive team needs. And if that doesn't ultimately land with the coach... well I'll be.

It's been 12 months and 26 games since Griffin's appointment. His acquisitions on the player front have been mixed. He has severed ties with two highly controversial players which I support. Other than that there are some very troubling signs that can't be denied. We, as a supporter group, are getting pretty good at spotting duds.

I am critical of these red flags:

- horrendous team selections that smell a lot more of old stubborn man than wiseman
- not having the respect or management of the playing group (see BBQgate, players gave themselves up on that one and we are still paying for it)
- zero marquee player signings to this point
- dismal post halftime responses from players
- the absence of strong defensive ability that he would have undoubtedly heralded during his interview process
- team's looks ready to fold like a cheap suit at the slightest pressure

He is a great person with a knowledgable rugby league brain but unless he has something big up his sleeve this off season he is a sitting duck about to be blown out of the water. He will have to continue to make some major calls on some of our underperforming players (Sims, Kerr etc) and I just think his career will now be somewhat dependent on being that coach who can land a big fish or two. If we can't win games like the one today then I just am not able to vouch for his credentials.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I noticed that too.

People neglecting that the 3 consecutive tries that happened after Sullivan went off we didn't touch the ball, so I doubt he being on would've stopped those anyway.

Was purely players switching off at half time and defence turned in to melted butter.
yes, funny that, there’s two sides to this game and you’ve got to tackle. Whole squad just not psychologically hard enough yet. At times like Roosters first twenty last week they grind it out, but then they’d shoot ourselves in the foot. Pretty soft defensively up the middle (again) and in the centres but exciting signs in attack. Keep recruiting those forwards Saints!

Last edited:

be55

Juniors
Let's be real guys. The place was a mess before him. No one can deny this and as I say this ain't personal or meant to be malicious, he or whoever took the gig was caught between a rock and hard place. He was given two years to work his magic and deserves to see those through, especially on account of little to zero better alternatives at the moment. Having said that, if we look at the cold hard facts, half way through it's a big fat fail. It is now to a point where you could argue that last year was a better year for us, coach and all. Now that's scary. I just really hope the club is looking closely at a succession plan in the interests of contingency.

Next year we will all be pumped for a new year come March - a couple decent recruits upfront and some great young backs who, although yet to have what i'd call 'break out' games, show signs of being first rate players.

Now some forum posters, including those who have scampered off into the ether and go very quiet on nights such as this, will try to convince you that it takes years to get results. It does take years to take Mary's mess and turn it into a premiership, but considering we are talking about a professional sport, you can't possibly say that the club is heading in the right direction yet. It isn't. There are some worrying signs, there are some positive signs but overall there's not going to be huge expectation or hype for 2022 given how much ground we must make up to be a finals team. Look at the continual character of the group...there's just not the grit, connection and cohesiveness, nor the footballing smarts or composure a competitive team needs. And if that doesn't ultimately land with the coach... well I'll be.

It's been 12 months and 26 games since Griffin's appointment. His acquisitions on the player front have been mixed. He has severed ties with two highly controversial players which I support. Other than that there are some very troubling signs that can't be denied. We, as a supporter group, are getting pretty good at spotting duds.

- horrendous team selections that smell a lot more of old stubborn man than wiseman
- not having the respect or management of the playing group (see BBQgate, players gave themselves up on that one and we are still paying for it)
- the absence of strong defensive ability that he would have undoubtedly heralded during his interview process

He is a great person with a knowledgable rugby league brain but unless he has something big up his sleeve this off season he is a sitting duck about to be blown out of the water. He will have to continue to make some major calls on some of our underperforming players (Sims, Kerr etc) and I just think his career will now be somewhat dependent on being that coach who can land a big fish or two. If we can't win games like the one today then I just am not able to vouch for his credentials.
Thank god...a post based on fact and not some biased, delusional rant, that is centred around what side of the fence you come at things from

This is spot on...Great post 👍

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Very interesting post, persisting with Beale,
What have you got against Beale?

Who would you have had play centre at the time?

Picking up a premiership winning centre who has represented NZ on the cheap has been the least of our worries.

FFS look over his stats mate, he ran for less than 100 meters in 3 of his 9 games, scored 4 tries, tackle efficiency around 90%

The way you constantly undermine him you'd think he'd have scored no tries, ran for 50 meters or less a game and couldn't tackle, give it a rest, there were plenty of worse options to plug that hole.

randomdragon

Juniors
would McGregor of made the signings hook has made? no. people who give him a year to get his squad and perform or be sacked are just straight dickheads. his record speaks for itself and in games this year we have been so much more competitive than we were last year. the last few weeks we had chances to win games. last year we were never in games to start with. fact. give the guy another year then criticise him

Maddragon99

Juniors

A long post to say nothing.

Anthony Griffin hasn’t displayed anything to give any hope for 2022. I’m only thankful that he’s only signed fir 2yrs so next year we can put this nightmare behind us and move forward with a coach who can harness our potential rather than depending on players well past their prime.

redv13

Bench
A long post to say nothing.

Anthony Griffin hasn’t displayed anything to give any hope for 2022. I’m only thankful that he’s only signed fir 2yrs so next year we can put this nightmare behind us and move forward with a coach who can harness our potential rather than depending on players well past their prime.
Name some potential candidates in your eyes. Clearly you aren’t a hook fan. And none of these fanciful picks like Bellamy etc

kit66

Bench
Very interesting post, persisting with Beale, Bird at Fullback, bringing Dufty back for a single game, bringing back Sloan and of course his unhealthy obsession with Corey Norman. The facts tend to differ.

Griffin is old fool. Mark my words Anthony Griffin won’t be our coach in 2023.
Yeah, I can't account for some of those selections and others have left me confused I admit but it has been a weird year for us. Weird on the field, off the field, weird signings and selections and of course the whole Covid malarkey.
I have to add though that some of our senior and more experienced players haven't stood up this year - Lawrie, Sims, Vaughan, McGuire, Hunt, Lomax and Bird have all been guilty of underperforming and inconsistency and our newer signings like Poasa, Alvaro, J.Hunt and Burns have showed little to nothing - OK Burns may improve but his defence is shyte. I'm with you though if things don't improve markedly next year - piss Hook off for sure. I've marked your Words 😎