What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"It’s very realistic to say that we’ll have a second team in Brisbane in 2023": V'landys

How many active fans, ie attending, would a QRL cup team have? The game sI have seen on Tv have hardly anyone at them, certainly not 10k foundation levels for a new club t take up to NRL with them.
The bigger clubs like Wynnum Manly and Redcliffe regularly sellout or get close to sell out crowds on Sundays. Less so on the Saturday night time slots, which makes sense because QCup is much more family focused which i think they have worked out given most games this year have been arvo instead of night games.

The crowds and following is certainly there

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The ARLC needs to be smart and let Brisbane 2 run its home games at fan friendly times so that they have a chance to draw in young families who cannot get to a game on a Thurs/Fri night. If they do that them they could have a solid fanbase from day one.

That's a very good idea and would stick it to the likes of Eddie Maguire and Jeff Kennett. They would hate RL being the talk of the town for an entire weekend before AwFuL kicks off its season.

Which ground would host it?

MCG or the indoor ground?
I'd go big on the MCG and sell it as an event. There would be no AFL on and it would make a statement as a yearly event on the Victorian sporting calendar like the Boxing Day Test, Melbourne Cup and the various big AFL events.

Re: your comments on the ARLC and scheduling of Brisbane 2 matches, couldn't agree more.

mongoose

Coach
Agr

agreed
1. don’t hold it on valentines night
2. Hold it on a saturday afternoon/evening and sunday, not a Friday 4pm KO!
3. actually spend some money advertising it
4. set up a beer and food village
5. Make star players available in an autograph marquee
6. dont charge $75 for a ticket
7. make the whole stadium GA not seat allocations. When your at the stadium for hours and hours it’s nice to move around and get different views.
Let me get this straight. The NRL scheduled the Nines on Valentines Day?
it boggles the mind how stupid this sport is sometimes...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Let me get this straight. The NRL scheduled the Nines on Valentines Day?
it boggles the mind how stupid this sport is sometimes...
yes lol. Why the crowd on the Friday night was Dissapointing.
We got 14.5k on the Saturday, and if had been on the Sunday would have been close to full. That decision would have cost the NRL around 1/2million $'s! Our sport is blessed with such great leadership lol.

I can only speak for my local club but on a game day, you can't park your car anywhere near the ground, I have to walk to the game from my house (which isn't that far thankfully), I can't give you a figure but they pack the place in (referring to Wynnum-Manly).
I always park my car on Blackwood Rd as there's no spots left at Kougari Oval. Some times there are cars of Wynnum fans parked half way up Blackwood Rd. I haven't been in a few years due to health problems, but I imagine it's still the same.

I'd go big on the MCG and sell it as an event. There would be no AFL on and it would make a statement as a yearly event on the Victorian sporting calendar like the Boxing Day Test, Melbourne Cup and the various big AFL events.

Re: your comments on the ARLC and scheduling of Brisbane 2 matches, couldn't agree more.
They should spend a fortnight in Melbourne leading up to the event running school clinics and promoting the game around town. It would be the ideal time to get kids to sign up to play junior RL.

Jamberoo

Juniors

Not sure the MCG is the right venue for any RL game let alone two teams that aren’t Melbourne Storm. Why would anyone in Melbourne go to a non-Storm game? Could work at AAMI, but would need to be funded by tourism $$$. How many people might travel from NSW/Qld to Melbourne for round 1? You would need 20k+

flippikat

Bench
So, is it safe to assume we'll get a decision in mid-late October (after the Grand Final)?

That timing seems about right to me, as it won't overshadow the playoffs but give whoever is chosen as much prep time as possible.. especially if 2023 is still the target. (Though I strongly suspect that's cutting it extremely close)

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
It just hit me - relocate Wests Tigers to Brisbane - the Easts Tigers (aka Firehawks) keep their brand, and so do WT…!
Fantasy time relocate the balmain tigers to Brisbane and merge the magpies and bulldogs to form the western bulldogs/west Sydney bulldogs.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Not sure the MCG is the right venue for any RL game let alone two teams that aren’t Melbourne Storm. Why would anyone in Melbourne go to a non-Storm game? Could work at AAMI, but would need to be funded by tourism $$$. How many people might travel from NSW/Qld to Melbourne for round 1? You would need 20k+
Firstly wouldn't Melbournites attend because it's an event and there is nothing else on that weekend? Isn't it the ''sporting capital of the world''? Why would they not attend?

Secondly, I don't have the figures for the number of people that travelled to the Brisbane Magic Rounds but you would imagine that there were a fair few travellers. To boost that number, market the shit out of it with travel and ticket packages. Then you have the local RL fans, then you have the casual sports fans, then you have the ''event goers''.

Thirdly, the Victorian Govt would absolutely fund it with tourism dollars just like they do for Origin and any potential GF up for grabs.

Finally, the MCG is a shit ground for watching RL sure, but AAMI doesn't make the statement you'd want to make with this event. With a bit of effort, we could have a massive annual RL event with huge attendances at the country's biggest stadium, right in the middle of AFL heartland. It just takes vision and effort and it wouldn't be that hard to pull off.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Firstly wouldn't Melbournites attend because it's an event and there is nothing else on that weekend? Isn't it the ''sporting capital of the world''? Why would they not attend?

Secondly, I don't have the figures for the number of people that travelled to the Brisbane Magic Rounds but you would imagine that there were a fair few travellers. To boost that number, market the shit out of it with travel and ticket packages. Then you have the local RL fans, then you have the casual sports fans, then you have the ''event goers''.

Thirdly, the Victorian Govt would absolutely fund it with tourism dollars just like they do for Origin and any potential GF up for grabs.

Finally, the MCG is a shit ground for watching RL sure, but AAMI doesn't make the statement you'd want to make with this event. With a bit of effort, we could have a massive annual RL event with huge attendances at the country's biggest stadium, right in the middle of AFL heartland. It just takes vision and effort and it wouldn't be that hard to pull off.
Magic doesn't draw big crowds though as the fanbase is split between games. Suncorp is rarely more than half full for any individual game and mostly less than. It works in Brisbane as half of Brisbane supports an out of town team. Other cities dont have that so it would be a big ask to get 60k non RL fans to attend in an AFL city. It doesn't have the kudos of origin or test football and is spread out over a long period of time. Leave it in Brisbane where it can draw a crowd is a good destination for sports tourism and has an appropriate sized stadium for it.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Magic doesn't draw big crowds though as the fanbase is split between games. Suncorp is rarely more than half full for any individual game and mostly less than. It works in Brisbane as half of Brisbane supports an out of town team. Other cities dont have that so it would be a big ask to get 60k non RL fans to attend in an AFL city. It doesn't have the kudos of origin or test football and is spread out over a long period of time. Leave it in Brisbane where it can draw a crowd is a good destination for sports tourism and has an appropriate sized stadium for it.
I would like the NRL to try it and see how it goes with clear air from the AFL. Remember this is an 'event' not a bunch of RL matches. If it falls flat on its face then it can always return to Brisbane.

I can only imagine that this was copied from the SL to sell as part of a suite of events the NRL can shop around for State Govt money... surely they'd want to test the market.

BTW do you think it would work in Sydney? Maybe at the new SFS?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I would like the NRL to try it and see how it goes with clear air from the AFL. Remember this is an 'event' not a bunch of RL matches. If it falls flat on its face then it can always return to Brisbane.

I can only imagine that this was copied from the SL to sell as part of a suite of events the NRL can shop around for State Govt money... surely they'd want to test the market.

BTW do you think it would work in Sydney? Maybe at the new SFS?
I think Sydney is probably the only pther place it would work, and if the GF ever goes on the road then would be another good event to alternate between Sydney and Brisbane. One of the furstrating things about the NRL's lack of interest in International RL is that these are also great events to have on other cities. The Aus v NZ test in Perth sold out HBF park weeks before the game.
Doubke headers can also be good ways of boosting games to event status. the double header in perth got 39k attending. The all stars game would be a good one to test in growth cities.

NRL Nines
Magic weekend
All stars
World Nines
Internationals
Origins

these are our signature event opportunities at the moment.

Latest posts