What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If not Madge, then who?

Fordy20

Juniors
Pretty spot on there I reckon- Madge has the right vision but not the right execution. The pathway he and club have set up can be continued, with new coach undertaking to continue the way, but unfortunately I just cant see Maguire surviving. For the plan of his and WT to mature their youngun's with a levy of key experienced players just hasnt been possible - his recruitment ability / charisma just isnt there. JAC nope, DWZ nope, Lomax nope, TPJ nope. He cannot attract the experienced core WT needs to guide the others along. That is the be all and end all of WT getting through this.

It's not clear to me that our inability to attract players to the club will be solved by punting Madge. To take your specific examples, Melbourne were willing to take swap JAC for Talau but the club refused. DWZ went to the Bulldogs because we couldn't pay him. Mary had to offer Lomax the starting fullback role to keep him away from us, even if it was only just for one game. The club organised a delegation to meet with TPJ and couldn't get him to sign. To keep running with examples, Madge wasn't even allowed to call Paul Vaughan until he'd left. All of this smacks of an administration that doesn't have their shit together and are too timid after being burned by their poor mistakes in the past.

BrotherJim05

Bench
It's not clear to me that our inability to attract players to the club will be solved by punting Madge. To take your specific examples, Melbourne were willing to take swap JAC for Talau but the club refused. DWZ went to the Bulldogs because we couldn't pay him. Mary had to offer Lomax the starting fullback role to keep him away from us, even if it was only just for one game. The club organised a delegation to meet with TPJ and couldn't get him to sign. To keep running with examples, Madge wasn't even allowed to call Paul Vaughan until he'd left. All of this smacks of an administration that doesn't have their shit together and are too timid after being burned by their poor mistakes in the past.
You may very well be right, but the way I interpreted the events you've mentioned is that player agents have tried to bully us into paying overs and we have simply said "no." No half-decent 100+ game player in their right mind would want to come to Tigers unless they are paid ridiculous overs. It f**ked out salary cap once, and it appears management have simply said "never again".

I've said this for years, we have to play hard ball and just keep blooding/signing talented juniors until the perception of the tigers changes. We are now coming into the phase where we have a clear salary cap and the perception that we will pay overs has all but gone (to the point where we look timid as you mentioned).

This is why I really want Madge to see out the next two years. What if suddenly 3 of our young guns have complete break-out seasons and we sneak into the 8? What if the COE is actually a marvel of NRL facilities and the players start loving coming to training every day? What if the players who couldn't stand Madge bail and the ones left standing are willing to die for him? There will be a knock on effect and good players will start accepting their market rate to come to Tiger then BANG...our huge war chest that Hartigan has been cultivating kicks in and our entire roster looks good.

It's a long term strategy and I'm willing to sacrifice the next two years to see it happen. I'd love to see Madge see it out, and if it doesn't work then fine...time for another coach.

Tiger05

First Grade
I've said this for years, we have to play hard ball and just keep blooding/signing talented juniors until the perception of the tigers changes. We are now coming into the phase where we have a clear salary cap and the perception that we will pay overs has all but gone (to the point where we look timid as you mentioned).

It's a long term strategy and I'm willing to sacrifice the next two years to see it happen. I'd love to see Madge see it out, and if it doesn't work then fine...time for another coach.

This is the way I see it as well.

Fordy20

Juniors
@BrotherJim05, I really hope your interpretation is correct. After everything that has happened, like Tartak screwing us into letting go of Thompson to get Saab only for Saab to go to Manly instead, it would be good draw a line in the sand. The media did report that player agents said the club was difficult to deal with and agents would say that if the club had stopped putting up with their shit.

BrotherJim05

Bench
@BrotherJim05, I really hope your interpretation is correct. After everything that has happened, like Tartak screwing us into letting go of Thompson to get Saab only for Saab to go to Manly instead, it would be good draw a line in the sand. The media did report that player agents said the club was difficult to deal with and agents would say that if the club had stopped putting up with their shit.
Me too mate, although I could be completely wrong.

The ideal scenario in my mind is that any players who are trying to knife Madge are shown the door and we let Madge sign whoever he wants provided they are maximum 2 year deals (unless 3rd is club option). That way if it goes tits up then we can say that we gave Madge an honest chance, but the new incoming Coach will have an almost completely clear salary cap to start building their roster from scratch

Tigerm

First Grade
Me too mate, although I could be completely wrong.

The ideal scenario in my mind is that any players who are trying to knife Madge are shown the door and we let Madge sign whoever he wants provided they are maximum 2 year deals (unless 3rd is club option). That way if it goes tits up then we can say that we gave Madge an honest chance, but the new incoming Coach will have an almost completely clear salary cap to start building their roster from scratch
If there were players trying to get rid of Madge, we’ll know soon enough? Just more cancer to cut out.

tiger102

Juniors
Wonder if there will be any major shake-ups in the squad? He can't go into next year with the squad, it's clear some players are not responding to him and are not putting in.
I Hope Jason Ryles or Dean Young is one of the new assistant coaches next year.

gordsy

Juniors
The smartest thing I have read about the shit show is the 1.6 mill we available is for four players. Not 1 big name that we pin all the weight of expectation on but four players. Hopefully four players that are tough, gritty and do the job with no bullshit. Sims would be ok but not for the 650 - 700k it's been reported he's on.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
The smartest thing I have read about the shit show is the .6 mill we have left over is for four players. Not 1 big name that we pin all the weight of expectation on but four players that are gritty and do the job with no bullshit. Sims would be ok but not for the 650 - 700k it's been reported he's on.
I think it’s $1.6m left to spend?

I’m not sure who is available, but everyone is just speculating atm?

But agree, a good forward and back are priorities.

For me, Taupau or Sims would be good possibilitie?

Backs are a bit more complicated, I think Madge and Lomax are mates, but he has a long contract, not sure where he stands with the Dragons though?

But I think whatever, Madge will want some decent signings to be made?

WA Tiger

Bench
What you say makes a lot of sense but for me it also doesn’t prove that Madge with his reputation, and the equally unimpressive standing of the club due to lack of results, didnt contribute to missing out on each of these players…

Wonder if there will be any major shake-ups in the squad? He can't go into next year with the squad, it's clear some players are not responding to him and are not putting in.
I Hope Jason Ryles or Dean Young is one of the new assistant coaches next year.

Jason Ryles is heading to the Roosters to replace Craig Fitzgibbon.

Personally I think your clubs needs a better CEO than Justin Pascoe. From the outside looking in seems like he has NFI what he is doing from a rugby league sense.

gordsy

Juniors
Leave Pascoe where he is for now. What we need is smart operators on the board. We need our version of the night of the long knives. Once that's done then we get rid of loudmouth Lee and Pascoe

Tigerm

First Grade
Jason Ryles is heading to the Roosters to replace Craig Fitzgibbon.

Personally I think your clubs needs a better CEO than Justin Pascoe. From the outside looking in seems like he has NFI what he is doing from a rugby league sense.
I don't think he ever came here for his footy nous, he came here for his admin ability? Which is substantial imo.

He hires the people who should have the footy brains.

Last edited:

Mario chalmers

Juniors
I think it’s $1.6m left to spend?

I’m not sure who is available, but everyone is just speculating atm?

But agree, a good forward and back are priorities.

For me, Taupau or Sims would be good possibilitie?

Backs are a bit more complicated, I think Madge and Lomax are mates, but he has a long contract, not sure where he stands with the Dragons though?

But I think whatever, Madge will want some decent signings to be made?
Dragons just signed Suli so that would indicate that someone from the Dragons outside backs might be on the move?

Mario chalmers

Juniors
It seems like the club is getting pretty chummy with Sam Ayoub so if you want to know where the club might be shopping for players jump on to his website.

I say that because we have Hastings and Gildart coming who are both on Ayoubs books.

Leave Pascoe where he is for now. What we need is smart operators on the board. We need our version of the night of the long knives. Once that's done then we get rid of loudmouth Lee and Pascoe
On the board.. so lets have a look,

In corporate Australia getting onto a board is or can be a great life on the gravy train, some board members are on multiple boards and do very well in the club. You's want your board members to be successful business peole in various fields are they:
Lee Hagipantelis - you'd have to say yes.
Tony Andreacchio - nah, he's a real estate guy,we all know what they are like,
Dennis Burgess - nah, looks like a professional board member,
Simon Cook - maybe but I'd like to see where else he has worked rather than the club at Ashfield
James Myatt - I'd say yes
Julie Romero - no,
Danny Stapleton - no
Rick Wayde - well has been around club land for a long time but nah.

Thoughts?

Latest posts