What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

SneakyEel

Juniors
EELS HAVE EYE ON BULLDOGS STAR

The Parramatta Eels are in talks with Canterbury Bulldogs star Nick Cotric as a potential replacement for departing winger Blake Ferguson.

Cotric is under contract at Belmore until the end of 2023 but the Bulldogs are open to discussions around a possible early release.

He is on $600,000 a season and a switch to Parramatta would substantially ease pressure on Canterbury’s salary cap.

The Eels are desperate for more attacking strikepower out wide and coach Brad Arthur has a huge opinion of the former Test winger.

———

Ferguson had options to continue in the NRL but faced a hefty pay cut.

“Brad (Arthur) said he’d love to still have me but the offer would be a lot less than what I was on,” Ferguson said. “So I’ve played my last NRL game.

Great signing if dogs chip in 100-200k

Avenger

Immortal
I think you will find that if we do indeed jag Čotrić, players like Rankin, Roache and Will Smith will also be released. Easily well over $1m there when you include the departing four announced the other day. I reckon a big name forward will also be released early. My guess is it will be either Matterson or Marata because struggling clubs would take them at full freight. It would be great if it was the handbrake or Lane but I think they would not be in demand as much.

I think you will find that if we do indeed jag Čotrić, players like Rankin, Roache and Will Smith will also be released. Easily well over $1m there when you include the departing four announced the other day. I reckon a big name forward will also be released early. My guess is it will be either Matterson or Marata because struggling clubs would take them at full freight. It would be great if it was the handbrake or Lane but I think they would not be in demand as much.

I Would have gone for him a few years ago but he has slowed right down. He is very slow. Would
Not touch him.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Why wouId signing a starting top 13 back cause us to release Smith/Roache/Rankin who aren’t even contracted????

additionally Roach was on a development contract and Smith is a pretty valuable squad member. He may not be a starting player. But is a cheapie cleanskin who can cover all the spine players at a fair level. A great squad member.

I can’t see us releasing Marata when we have him on decent unders, that’s just stupid!!

while matterson didn’t leave this year, thus didn’t get a better offer. So doubt he is leaving. And he is very underrated by fans. Very good player!!

hindy111

Post Whore

Do you understand guys like Rankin wont free up nothing. Neither will Roache. They'd be on min and need to be replaced.
W.Smith you may save a little but you'd also be able to re-sign him for not much over min. We have heaps of upgrades also.
Lane would still demand solid money. I reckon 300k. But we probably paid closer to 400k. I doubt it is worth us chipping i. I am not sure you'd get a better forward for 300k.

Avenger

Immortal

Avenger

Immortal
Do you understand guys like Rankin wont free up nothing. Neither will Roache. They'd be on min and need to be replaced.
W.Smith you may save a little but you'd also be able to re-sign him for not much over min. We have heaps of upgrades also.
Lane would still demand solid money. I reckon 300k. But we probably paid closer to 400k. I doubt it is worth us chipping i. I am not sure you'd get a better forward for 300k.
If he was in the top 30 it will.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Simon will be fine. He'll be 30 when his contract ends. What sort of nest egg does he need to retire at 30 in Fiji?
sitepandawhalecom GIF

lucablight

First Grade
I don’t know how much Bernie Gurr has to do with the club these days but in a podcast interview with TCT he didn’t seem to think we’d be spending big money on a winger. He seemed to indicate that the club were happy to go into the season with Sivo and Dunster as the wingers and having Russell deputise when necessary. He also pointed out that Waqa could play there with Opacic in the centres if needed. He was talking about how we need to lock up our big name players before other clubs swoop in but he seemed very confident we would keep the players we wanted to keep.

Latest posts