What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
I don’t know how much Bernie Gurr has to do with the club these days but in a podcast interview with TCT he didn’t seem to think we’d be spending big money on a winger. He seemed to indicate that the club were happy to go into the season with Sivo and Dunster as the wingers and having Russell deputise when necessary. He also pointed out that Waqa could play there with Opacic in the centres if needed. He was talking about how we need to lock up our big name players before other clubs swoop in but he seemed very confident we would keep the players we wanted to keep.

I think Cotric may of made sense before Dunster and Penisini started playing regular NRL. SIVO not being ready is unlucky for us. But fact remains he would benon 350k+ and signed for 2022 amd 2023. We want to hope he comes good otherwise its a huge stain on our cap.

Gronk

Staff member
That makes no sense. Cotric was terrible at centre and Waqa is untried on the wing
Well that’s your opinion re Cotric. Ricky used him there often in 2019, the year they made the GF.

7A8A4CE4-14F1-4795-AD59-A91E64453B1D.png

Pennys used Waqa on the wing in the past, as we have when we’ve had injuries during games.

hindy111

Post Whore
we need to re-sign Smith, the best damn utility player we have and he has come along this year pretty well

I'm guessing he is not a big earner which makes him very good value

I'm 50/50. Yeah he is handy. He is also ok as a utility. A lot depends on cost. If not much more then min then fine.
He kind of lost me in the finals with some stupid plays. I reckon we will see Stone at that 14 spot tbh. He can give Rheed a 15 min rest each game and also play lock.
If we have Bryce,Marata and Matterson we can cover a lot of the backs and halves.

lingard

Coach
We could do with a replacement for Fergo. Our centres look good for now, with Waqa, Penisini, and Opacic. Do we really want to go into the season with Dunster and Russel (who is virtually untried)? I hope BA sees what most of us here see: that Sivo has now become dead space. We need an injection of experience on the wing now; just like we did when Fergo first came.

yy_cheng

Coach
I'm 50/50. Yeah he is handy. He is also ok as a utility. A lot depends on cost. If not much more then min then fine.
He kind of lost me in the finals with some stupid plays. I reckon we will see Stone at that 14 spot tbh. He can give Rheed a 15 min rest each game and also play lock.
If we have Bryce,Marata and Matterson we can cover a lot of the backs and halves.
B4 the finals he was doing some good stuff

But during the finals, he was back to being erratic

Gazzamatta

Coach
We could do with a replacement for Fergo. Our centres look good for now, with Waqa, Penisini, and Opacic. Do we really want to go into the season with Dunster and Russel (who is virtually untried)? I hope BA sees what most of us here see: that Sivo has now become dead space. We need an injection of experience on the wing now; just like we did when Fergo first came.
Maybe but if one of our halves were missing, would Brthur go into the season with Jruthur?

The Eel

Juniors
EELS HAVE EYE ON BULLDOGS STAR

The Parramatta Eels are in talks with Canterbury Bulldogs star Nick Cotric as a potential replacement for departing winger Blake Ferguson.

Cotric is under contract at Belmore until the end of 2023 but the Bulldogs are open to discussions around a possible early release.

He is on $600,000 a season and a switch to Parramatta would substantially ease pressure on Canterbury’s salary cap.

The Eels are desperate for more attacking strikepower out wide and coach Brad Arthur has a huge opinion of the former Test winger.

———

Ferguson had options to continue in the NRL but faced a hefty pay cut.

“Brad (Arthur) said he’d love to still have me but the offer would be a lot less than what I was on,” Ferguson said. “So I’ve played my last NRL game.

Yes please

The Eel

Juniors
I think you will find that if we do indeed jag Čotrić, players like Rankin, Roache and Will Smith will also be released. Easily well over $1m there when you include the departing four announced the other day. I reckon a big name forward will also be released early. My guess is it will be either Matterson or Marata because struggling clubs would take them at full freight. It would be great if it was the handbrake or Lane but I think they would not be in demand as much.
Matto can go for mine. He has been underwhelming imho

yy_cheng

Coach
yeah, I am happy to lose Matto and keep Marata coz he'll be cheaper.

Has rodwell played on the edge or is he a middle? But I guess that doesn't really matter coz alot of our middles can cover the edge.

I think we have a good blend of youth and experience in our pack already.

Gazzamatta

Coach
All the discussion when BA didnt bring him back after his suspension may have been answered. I saw an interview by Fletch and Hindy of Drown and Fergo. Drown mentioned that Matto had very recently split with his woman. It could well be his head space wasnt right. Women will do that to ya.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Gus also said Griffen was going nowhere before he stuck the knife in.
His input in last nights game was pretty bad. Forgets things that happened earlier in the game. Even called a player by the name of a player at another club. He was a great match for Rabs last night.I think he continually talks himself up as hes achieved nothing since Penrith punted him. Lets face it, the Pennys maybe benefiting from his initial work but in reality they had to move him on to go the next step. Getting Cleary back wasnt his decision if you recall he had Bennett locked in. Ciraldo has improved their defence immeasurably since Gus stopped interfering. Looks like hes already putting his foot down at The Dogs. Odds on how long Barrett will last?

Latest posts