What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

That's what 2020 was for, he had many chances, stubbornly selecting Norman every week that made my club a laughing stock was enough for me.
Yeah ok if you think that.

I think he inherited a mess. He’s since got rid of some deadwood. Recruited pretty well in my opinion. Got some good juniors coming through.

If by this time next year we’re in a similar state I’m with ya. But in the meantime happy to give him a chance.

Maddragon99

Juniors
The Wayne Bennett myth takes another hit. 6 premierships with a gifted Broncos’ team and another with a gifted Dragon’s team but nothing since.

He should never have left the Dragon’s he would probably have won again in 2011.

He left the Broncos, Dragons, Knights & probably Souths in a decades long mess.

Time to step aside Wayne & enjoy retirement unless you want to commit long term to a rebuilding team like us.

Trifili13

Juniors
The Wayne Bennett myth takes another hit. 6 premierships with a gifted Broncos’ team and another with a gifted Dragon’s team but nothing since.
While I agree that you need good players to win a comp, but calling Bennett a myth is a bit harsh. Hassler had a very good Manly team with the Stewart bros, Lyon, Watnough, etc and won a couple of comps but couldn't at the Dogs or since he returned to Manly, does that also make him a myth? Jack Gibson had a great Rooster's team in 74/75 and Eels 81/82/83 but couldn't win with several other teams he coached, is he a myth also?

I also agree that following Bennett leaving clubs they have struggled but I put that down to bad choices by the people in charge.

If Bennett said he wants to come to coach the Dragon's next year, I for one would be happy as he wins more than he loses.

Dragon David

First Grade
While I agree that you need good players to win a comp, but calling Bennett a myth is a bit harsh. Hassler had a very good Manly team with the Stewart bros, Lyon, Watnough, etc and won a couple of comps but couldn't at the Dogs or since he returned to Manly, does that also make him a myth? Jack Gibson had a great Rooster's team in 74/75 and Eels 81/82/83 but couldn't win with several other teams he coached, is he a myth also?

I also agree that following Bennett leaving clubs they have struggled but I put that down to bad choices by the people in charge.

If Bennett said he wants to come to coach the Dragon's next year, I for one would be happy as he wins more than he loses.
You can bet he would get any team into the top 8 most times. I'd take him back for sure.

Wolfgang90

Juniors

He should never have left the Dragon’s he would probably have won again in 2011.

Time to step aside Wayne & enjoy retirement unless you want to commit long term to a rebuilding team like us.

This is one of the most stupid posts I've ever read 😂

TruSaint

Referee
You can bet he would get any team into the top 8 most times. I'd take him back for sure.

Mate, he nearly got the Tinkler Knights into a GF, lost the GF to the Cows with a JT field goal, got Souths to a GF ( in a year when most had Mel/Pen as cert's), but yeah he's a fraud. :)

Any mess he left behind is on the boards at that Club.

He wasnt employed as CFO / CEO, he was employed to coach. He is the best whether people want to admit it or not.

Gonna be a long off season if we start seeking for truly sports icons to unload our baggage on.

Illusion

Bench

Nah don't want him back sneaky bugger he is not what everyone thinks he is ..... The teams he has won with have been teams that have been ready to win a comp .....

Trifili13

Juniors
Nah don't want him back sneaky bugger he is not what everyone thinks he is ..... The teams he has won with have been teams that have been ready to win a comp .....
Weyman, Jeremy Smith, Costigan, Fien, Boyd all joined the club in 2009, same year as Bennett, don't know how many of them would have joined if not for Bennett. They were the hard nuts we needed to go the next step as everyone before that said we were soft but not after these players joined us. He also taught BMoz how to catch as I remember both brothers were dodgy handlers when they first came into the top team.

Did we have a good team before he came, yes, ready to win the comp, don't think so.

Illusion

Bench
Weyman, Jeremy Smith, Costigan, Fien, Boyd all joined the club in 2009, same year as Bennett, don't know how many of them would have joined if not for Bennett. They were the hard nuts we needed to go the next step as everyone before that said we were soft but not after these players joined us. He also taught BMoz how to catch as I remember both brothers were dodgy handlers when they first came into the top team.

Did we have a good team before he came, yes, ready to win the comp, don't think so.
Mate if you want him back good for you .... I was happy we won the Comp just like you .... Yes the team was building towards a Comp yes and Bennett did bring in those hard heads ..... Then Bennett leaves with his endorsement his ok that Price is the man to continue the job ..... Just my opinion I have gone right off Bennett Anyway lets see how next year pan out lets hope we see improvement ......

Como Connection

First Grade

Plus Saffy and Priddes.
CC

redVbull

Juniors
I think Griffin's hands were tied when it came to Norman. He probs had to play him each week, since benching him meant offending the BoD who signed off on Norman's mega-contract. Unwise for a 1st year coach.

Give Griffin a season without the lead in the saddle of an underperforming 5/8 and see how we go.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Any bloke that thinks Wayne is not what we need must be related to someone in the board. Cause old Clint would never have them hanging around the team or imposing on the team. He would tell them where they need to be and that’s not around the team. Which the board of morons would not be happy about.

Crush

Coach
I think Griffin's hands were tied when it came to Norman. He probs had to play him each week, since benching him meant offending the BoD who signed off on Norman's mega-contract. Unwise for a 1st year coach.

Give Griffin a season without the lead in the saddle of an underperforming 5/8 and see how we go.
Griffin pushed for Norman to be given an extension, it was Craig Young who stepped in and said no way.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Benn

Bennet’s master stroke was firstly bringing Darius with him then switching him to fullback. In 2yrs he went from a untried fullback to a Clive Churchill Medallist.

No Boyd = No Premiership

For the record, I might be one of the biggest Griffin critics on here but the chances of enticing Bennett back are zero.

My earlier post about the Myth of Bennett was about the fact he only wins comps with champion teams. We already had a very good squad in 2009 he just added a few key pieces.

Bennett has little interest in a long term rebuild which is where we are at. His record at Newcastle is proof of this.

It'll be interesting to see how Souths go next year without Bennett & Reynolds. Cody Walker isn’t a big match player, his GF & Origin shockers prove this beyond doubt.

TruSaint

Referee
Benn

Bennet’s master stroke was firstly bringing Darius with him then switching him to fullback. In 2yrs he went from a untried fullback to a Clive Churchill Medallist.

No Boyd = No Premiership

For the record, I might be one of the biggest Griffin critics on here but the chances of enticing Bennett back are zero.

My earlier post about the Myth of Bennett was about the fact he only wins comps with champion teams. We already had a very good squad in 2009 he just added a few key pieces.

Bennett has little interest in a long term rebuild which is where we are at. His record at Newcastle is proof of this.

It'll be interesting to see how Souths go next year without Bennett & Reynolds. Cody Walker isn’t a big match player, his GF & Origin shockers prove this beyond doubt.

Many coaches have had " champion teams " and not won titles.

To me, it seems you dont like Wayne, because when he leaves there is a vacuum left, when as I and many have said, his job is purely to coach.

If Clubs like us and Newcastle f**ked up, its not on the coach. Its on the boards of the Clubs.

The discussion is moot, as he wont return to us and will obviously have a hand in the new franchise in BNE.

To debate his success though is laughable.

Trifili13

Juniors
So based on your reasoning that he only wins comps with champion teams and is therefore a myth, you obviously then don't rate Jack Gibson as the mid 70s Rooster's and early 80s Eels were champion teams as he couldn't win a comp when coached the Dragon's, Jets, Rabbits and Sharks or Sticks Provan and before him Killer Kearney as the Dragon's were also champion teams of that era.