What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Squad: Gains, Losses & Re-signings.

Yow

Juniors
I admit that I was one who groaned and posted negatively when we signed Woods (and earlier when we signed Mbye) but, in fairness to Hook, he was betrayed badly by the playing group over "BBQgate" and you couldn't blame him for valuing character over ability in at least some of his new signings. Both Woods and Mbye, whatever their playing shortcomings, have reputations as loyal clubmen and leaders of men and if they can assist Hunt in turning the culture of the Dragons around, they may play an important role in 2022.
Well said

kit66

Bench
NRL Rd. 1

1 Tyrell Sloan
2 Mat Feagai
3 Moses Suli
4 Zac Lomax
5 Mikaele Ravalawa
6 Moses Mbye
7 Ben Hunt (c)
8 Francis Molo
9 Andrew McCullough
10 Tariq Sims
11 Jack Bird
12 Jaydn Su’A
13 Jack de Belin

14 Junior Amone
15 Tyrell Fuimaono
16 Josh Kerr
17 George Burgess

I wonder who in that forward pack do you think is going to bend or get over the advantage line ever or over 100 mtrs a game ??? Su'a could but with no momentum from his stablemates it's unlikely.
Sims isn't a prop, Molo spent most of the year as a bench prop in the team that came 15th. Kerr isn't a prop or shouldn't be, he's proven that and that he's better used out wide. George Burgess, if he actually plays next year should start in reserves to get some game fitness and to see how his hip holds up. Lawrie will start, probably with McGuire or even Woods and the spare on the bench, not ideal but we've no-one else ( unless there are more signings.....god I hope so ). We need Sullivan or Amone to start the year at 5/8 ( preferably at 6 & 7 with Hunt at 9 but we know the chances of that, sfa ) If we start with Mbye at 6 it'll be like we never lost Norman and it'll all go down hill from there, Hook will keep picking him no matter what.

BIG RIG

Juniors
With the more than certain signing of Aaron Woods ( Confirmation most likely tomoz ) that leaves us with 3 spots left for 2022

So who do u guys think will be next

I personally believe we will probably gain another prop ( I’ve got a hunch it might be Dylan Napa )

A backup dummy half is an ABSOLUTE priority right now and only one on the market I can think of is Mitch Rein ( not sure about the rumours of us trying to get Freddy Lussick from the Roosters )

An I reckon one more depth outside back may be needed with Curtis Scott’s name being thrown around

Maddragon99

Juniors
I admit that I was one who groaned and posted negatively when we signed Woods (and earlier when we signed Mbye) but, in fairness to Hook, he was betrayed badly by the playing group over "BBQgate" and you couldn't blame him for valuing character over ability in at least some of his new signings. Both Woods and Mbye, whatever their playing shortcomings, have reputations as loyal clubmen and leaders of men and if they can assist Hunt in turning the culture of the Dragons around, they may play an important role in 2022.
I’m prepared to give the Burgess, Suli & Mbye signings the benefit of the doubt but the Woods signing looks like Griffin is dumpster diving again. Admittedly Woods is still pretty young (31 in March) but his best years were a long time ago. If Griffin can get him to rediscover his form then that’s great but I’m sceptical.

Maddragon99

Juniors
With the more than certain signing of Aaron Woods ( Confirmation most likely tomoz ) that leaves us with 3 spots left for 2022

So who do u guys think will be next

I personally believe we will probably gain another prop ( I’ve got a hunch it might be Dylan Napa )

A backup dummy half is an ABSOLUTE priority right now and only one on the market I can think of is Mitch Rein ( not sure about the rumours of us trying to get Freddy Lussick from the Roosters )

An I reckon one more depth outside back may be needed with Curtis Scott’s name being thrown around
Lussick does seem to be on the outer at Easts I don’t think he played in either Semifinals. He’d be cheap & could learn a lot from McCullough, he could potentially be the long term solution at dummy half.

Das Hassler

Bench
Mbye - aging and let go by the Tigers, the Tigers! (28 years old and played rep footy, hardly ageing)
Hmm...yeah the same laughing stock tigers that flogged you twice this year if i'm not mistaken...might want to recalibrate the superiority guage there a bit....right now you're as much or more of a basket case as WT are. The only players WT would take off you might be Sims and Lomax....sure wouldnt take woods back that's for sure so that's about where you're at as well. Mbye was signed by Cleary for ridiculous money...WT are saving half his money for '22...he's a good utility and he wasn't gotten rid of as much as it was post Ivan disaster cap repair.

Edit...Mr Randomdragon...sorry...i think i replied to the wrong post. ..meant to reply to who you replied to

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
I wonder who in that forward pack do you think is going to bend or get over the advantage line ever or over 100 mtrs a game ??? Su'a could but with no momentum from his stablemates it's unlikely.
Sims isn't a prop, Molo spent most of the year as a bench prop in the team that came 15th. Kerr isn't a prop or shouldn't be, he's proven that and that he's better used out wide. George Burgess, if he actually plays next year should start in reserves to get some game fitness and to see how his hip holds up. Lawrie will start, probably with McGuire or even Woods and the spare on the bench, not ideal but we've no-one else ( unless there are more signings.....god I hope so ). We need Sullivan or Amone to start the year at 5/8 ( preferably at 6 & 7 with Hunt at 9 but we know the chances of that, sfa ) If we start with Mbye at 6 it'll be like we never lost Norman and it'll all go down hill from there, Hook will keep picking him no matter what.
* how do you know Simms can’t play prop ?
* If Kerr is anything it is a prop ( he ain’t a back rower )
* George has 5 months to test his hips , put him straight in.
* McGuire won’t start the season for. Obvious reasons.
* Nobody Will Be as bad as Norman &the tigers fans confirm that he played well last. Year but nowhere near his wage .

Agree that another Youngish NRL forward on the rise would be great.

Old Timer

Coach
* how do you know Simms can’t play prop ?
* If Kerr is anything it is a prop ( he ain’t a back rower )
* George has 5 months to test his hips , put him straight in.
* McGuire won’t start the season for. Obvious reasons.
* Nobody Will Be as bad as Norman &the tigers fans confirm that he played well last. Year but nowhere near his wage .

Agree that another Youngish NRL forward on the rise would be great.
Hopefully someone takes notice of your simply put but very succinct appraisal.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I think this is pretty close to the best combination, although I expect Burgess to be on the bench probably ahead of woods and not sure whether I would have Ramsay over Feagai.. lets see how they look after off season training. Ramsay currently is just too light for first grade
I think he performed pretty well defensively, and barely got a chance all year outside Bird. I think with Suli inside him there is a bit less need for him to be a meter eater. I know he’s a super hard worker and won’t give up. I just like his speed a bit more over Feagai. Would like to see what he has to offer getting put away from Suli.

kit66

Bench
* how do you know Simms can’t play prop ? - We've seen him play prop on a number of occasions and fail or at least have no impact. He can't make 100 mtrs in 80 minutes playing 2nd row so how will he go for metres playing 40-50 minutes in the middle while making more tackles.
* If Kerr is anything it is a prop ( he ain’t a back rower ) Check his stats in both positions, he clearly performs better out wide ( you only have to watch him to know that ) Then check his stats against our other 2nd rowers, he's no worse than anyone else for metres, tackles, misses, errors etc but far better at off-loads ( 27 for the year - Sims 5, Burns 4 ) and as I've pointed out a 1000 times he's great against big wide running opponents like Klemmer, Taumalolo, Fifita, and Solomona who he smashed etc, he stops those guys rampaging out wide.
* George has 5 months to test his hips , put him straight in. Too much risk and unnecessary. It's not like he's going to set the world on fire early on anyway.
* McGuire won’t start the season for. Obvious reasons. Yeah, sorry. How many weeks ?
* Nobody Will Be as bad as Norman &the tigers fans confirm that he played well last. Year but nowhere near his wage . Famous last words. $950K at Wests, what th' . Is he an upgrade on Norman ? He misses almost as many tackles, he's not really a ball running 5/8, he doesn't have much of a kicking game, certainly nowhere near Norman's ( his one good point ) and he's no great organizer either. He scored 1 try last year and has the odd error in him ( 8 in his last 5 games ). How much are we paying him ? And is he a better option at 5/8 than Amone or Sullivan - both of whom can kick, run (real fast) and score tries.

Agree that another Youngish NRL forward on the rise would be great. One or two would be awesome.

blacksafake

First Grade
I think he performed pretty well defensively, and barely got a chance all year outside Bird. I think with Suli inside him there is a bit less need for him to be a meter eater. I know he’s a super hard worker and won’t give up. I just like his speed a bit more over Feagai. Would like to see what he has to offer getting put away from Suli.
Tend to agree FCD
The added bonus is having competition for positions.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
See a few team list for next year already, so I thought I would just add a little bit myself with some extra data and I will focus only on our back 5 and edge forwards (as they stand right now).

Fullback
Tyrell Sloan - 19 yrs old, 185cm 84kg's - he is still 'growing' and with a full pre-season, I expect him to add another 5 or so kilos. Runs like a gazelle and will be a weapon next year.

Wings:
1. Mat Feagai - 20yrs old, 186cm 96kg's - like Sloan another who will add some muscle in the pre-season. I think he will be one the starting wingers.
2. Mika Ravalawa - 23yrs old, 184cm 93kg (mmm yeah right) - the 'beast' just has to fix his tackle style in the off-season. Absolute weapon.

Centres:
1. Zac Lomax - 22yrs old, 190cm 94kg's - goal kicker, let's hope he can fix his injuries this off-season and have a fully fit 2022. Definite aerial target.
2. Moses Suli - 23yrs old, 189cm 109kg's - when he's on, he's just about unstoppable.

These are our back 5. Notice the ages, with the oldest being Rava who will turn 24 next month. Good size about them. Maybe lack a really tall winger, but I'm happy with the 2 listed here.

A couple of back-ups - Cody Ramsey - 21yrs old, 185cm 82kg's - probably needs some more bulk, let's see what they can do with him in the off and pre-season. Max Feagai - 20yrs old, 186cm 98kg's - shame he suffered that bad concussion, a fully fit Max will definitely challenge for a spot.

Going to focus now on 2 edge forwards:
1, Billy Burns - 22yrs old, 191cm 104kg's - my prediction is that Billy will be an absolute weapon for us next year. Another who needs a full pre-season. Needs room to move and when he gets it you'll see something really special.
2. Jayden Sua - 23yrs old, 188cm 100kg's - grand final player, will add some good defense in an area we've been lacking.

Again some young guns with good size.

If we add in Ben Hunt and Amone (my pick to wear the #6), Hunt become the real elder statesman. Removing Norman will help our attack no end, and shifting Sims to another role will also help.

Our biggest area of concern is service of the ball from dummy half and the spread thereafter. This should be our mantra next year, get the ball out to these young guns asap, not let us linger with lumbering forwards with 1 out hit-ups.

thebigredv

First Grade
As I have said some people on here would find something negative to say even if it was Tom Trbojevic joining the club

By 'some people' I assume you are meaning me as one of those people so I will take my chance to respond.

Firstly, no, if Turbo signed with the Dragons that would be bliss even if he was the highest paid player in the comp. You wouldn't get a complaint out of a single soul because suddenly we'd be a chance again with a player unmatched in athleticism and skill, and who makes those around him twice as good players. Silly throw away comment there, only highlighting our ineptness to attract the classiest players. When Suli signed I didn't complain, I didn't read much that was negative. He's half decent.

If we want to hang our hat on Mbye and Woods type signings you will get a load of well deserved negative sentiment. This is a forum after all where all voices can be heard. So silent the ones who have grown tired of waiting for this club to get its act together. I feel for them.

Our recruitment is yet to hit the mark and we are simply filling spots at this point rather than assembling a competitive team. I'm willing to stake it all to say McCulloch along with the recently signed Mbye and Woods will all flop next year. This is because the game has passed them by. Not because me or some other poster is a whining so-and-so but because as keen observers of the game we have watched each of them flounder in a fast physical brand of footy. They are simply unsuitable depth, second string players, not the calibre an ailing team needs, no matter what shade of lipstick the 'loyal' fans want to paint all over it. There was never any fight to get their name on the contract. Lousy signings for a club which has lost so much in player quality recently, for a club languishing at the bottom, already flooded with fringe footy players. The forwards need a refresh and this is anything but.

We don't typically land players in demand. Bullemor just went to manly, a young prop on the up. Nicholls from Souths is as old as those two but just played a season out of skin. We lost the Finucane battle, I was glad we fought for him at the very least. People want to say there's no one out there. Thompson from Dogs was/is rumoured to be on the outer, John Asiata was another prospect. How about Tevita Pangai Junior? Just to name a few. Excuses, excuses, excuses...

You call us complainers. Let's see what eventuates next year. Let's bump this up then if we must. What will be the new excuse of those who profess to be above the 'negative nellies'? I realise the coach can't get them all but at the end of the day it isn't good enough as it stands. For what it's worth, I will call the club out on it as they've already done enough damage to dedicated members and die hards. If criticising the mishandling of a thing I love is a crime then I suppose you should lock me up.

Last edited:
By 'some people' I assume you are meaning me as one of those people so I will take my chance to respond.

Firstly, no, if Turbo signed with the Dragons that would be bliss even if he was the highest paid player in the comp. You wouldn't get a complaint out of a single soul because suddenly we'd be a chance again with a player unmatched in athleticism and skill, and who makes those around him twice as good players. Silly throw away comment there, only highlighting our ineptness to attract the classiest players. When Suli signed I didn't complain, I didn't read much that was negative. He's half decent.

If we want to hang our hat on Mbye and Woods type signings you will get a load of well deserved negative sentiment. This is a forum after all where all voices can be heard. So silent the ones who have grown tired of waiting for this club to get its act together. I feel for them.

Our recruitment is yet to hit the mark and we are simply filling spots at this point rather than assembling a competitive team. I'm willing to stake it all to say McCulloch along with the recently signed Mbye and Woods will all flop next year. This is because the game has passed them by. Not because me or some other poster is a whining so-and-so but because as keen observers of the game we have watched each of them flounder in a fast physical brand of footy. They are simply unsuitable depth, second string players, not the calibre an ailing team needs, no matter what shade of lipstick the 'loyal' fans want to paint all over it. There was never any fight to get their name on the contract. Lousy signings for a club which has lost so much in player quality recently, for a club languishing at the bottom, already flooded with fringe footy players. The forwards need a refresh and this is anything but.

We don't typically land players in demand. Bullemor just went to manly, a young prop on the up. Nicholls from Souths is as old as those two but just played a season out of skin. We lost the Finucane battle, I was glad we fought for him at the very least. People want to say there's no one out there. Thompson from Dogs was/is rumoured to be on the outer, John Asiata was another prospect. How about Tevita Pangai Junior? Just to name a few. Excuses, excuses, excuses...

You call us complainers. Let's see what eventuates next year. Let's bump this up then if we must. What will be the new excuse of those who profess to be above the 'negative nellies'? I realise the coach can't get them all but at the end of the day it isn't good enough as it stands. For what it's worth, I will call the club out on it as they've already done enough damage to dedicated members and die hards. If criticising the mishandling of a thing I love is a crime then I suppose you should lock me up.
If one looks at the probable 2022 squad, how many X factor players are there? The top teams have quite a few. Dragons have very few.

Carlton

Juniors
If one looks at the probable 2022 squad, how many X factor players are there? The top teams have quite a few. Dragons have very few.
Sloan, Amone, Sullivan, Suli, Rava.

The first thing the team needs is grit, to be able to lay a solid platform for them in attack and solid defence so that their brilliance isnt thrown away. X factor is the icing on the cake, its doing all the small things correctly and consistently that we have to get right. You cant rely on X factor alone to win you games.

You look at the top teams and that is where the real difference lies.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Sloan, Amone, Sullivan, Suli, Rava.
The first thing the team needs is grit, to be able to lay a solid platform for them in attack and solid defence so that their brilliance isnt thrown away. X factor is the icing on the cake, its doing all the small things correctly and consistently that we have to get right. You cant rely on X factor alone to win you games.

You look at the top teams and that is where the real difference lies.
Agree, and i’d also add Lomax and at times Simms. Our only issue that this bunch are a bit light on NRL experience and therefore possibly confidence and combination timing. At least last year some of these guys got some good game time under their belt. Also have some depth now which we had little of at the begin of last year. Just feel need another couple of ‘stronger’ forwards’ to balance out the squad to ensure that platform is laid!

Como Connection

First Grade
See a few team list for next year already, so I thought I would just add a little bit myself with some extra data and I will focus only on our back 5 and edge forwards (as they stand right now).

Fullback
Tyrell Sloan - 19 yrs old, 185cm 84kg's - he is still 'growing' and with a full pre-season, I expect him to add another 5 or so kilos. Runs like a gazelle and will be a weapon next year.

Wings:
1. Mat Feagai - 20yrs old, 186cm 96kg's - like Sloan another who will add some muscle in the pre-season. I think he will be one the starting wingers.
2. Mika Ravalawa - 23yrs old, 184cm 93kg (mmm yeah right) - the 'beast' just has to fix his tackle style in the off-season. Absolute weapon.

Centres:
1. Zac Lomax - 22yrs old, 190cm 94kg's - goal kicker, let's hope he can fix his injuries this off-season and have a fully fit 2022. Definite aerial target.
2. Moses Suli - 23yrs old, 189cm 109kg's - when he's on, he's just about unstoppable.

These are our back 5. Notice the ages, with the oldest being Rava who will turn 24 next month. Good size about them. Maybe lack a really tall winger, but I'm happy with the 2 listed here.

A couple of back-ups - Cody Ramsey - 21yrs old, 185cm 82kg's - probably needs some more bulk, let's see what they can do with him in the off and pre-season. Max Feagai - 20yrs old, 186cm 98kg's - shame he suffered that bad concussion, a fully fit Max will definitely challenge for a spot.

Going to focus now on 2 edge forwards:
1, Billy Burns - 22yrs old, 191cm 104kg's - my prediction is that Billy will be an absolute weapon for us next year. Another who needs a full pre-season. Needs room to move and when he gets it you'll see something really special.
2. Jayden Sua - 23yrs old, 188cm 100kg's - grand final player, will add some good defense in an area we've been lacking.

Again some young guns with good size.

If we add in Ben Hunt and Amone (my pick to wear the #6), Hunt become the real elder statesman. Removing Norman will help our attack no end, and shifting Sims to another role will also help.

Our biggest area of concern is service of the ball from dummy half and the spread thereafter. This should be our mantra next year, get the ball out to these young guns asap, not let us linger with lumbering forwards with 1 out hit-ups.
Impressive report, well done.
CC

Yow

Juniors
Hmm...yeah the same laughing stock tigers that flogged you twice this year if i'm not mistaken...might want to recalibrate the superiority guage there a bit....right now you're as much or more of a basket case as WT are. The only players WT would take off you might be Sims and Lomax....sure wouldnt take woods back that's for sure so that's about where you're at as well. Mbye was signed by Cleary for ridiculous money...WT are saving half his money for '22...he's a good utility and he wasn't gotten rid of as much as it was post Ivan disaster cap repair.

Edit...Mr Randomdragon...sorry...i think i replied to the wrong post. ..meant to reply to who you replied to
You say the only players WT would take would be Simms and Zac did you think they wouldnt want to go there and as bad as we are going neither would any others.