What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

LeagueXIII

First Grade
RL has put up with crap stadiums in Sydney for close to 100 years it deserves some decent stadiums.
In victoria AFL gets what they want no questions asked.

Perth Red

Post Whore
RL has put up with crap stadiums in Sydney for close to 100 years it deserves some decent stadiums.
In victoria AFL gets what they want no questions asked.
Makes it easier when you only have to build two for them though. At this point Sydney is needing 8 decent stadiums, that’s a big ask for a state govt.

sFs tick
bankwest tick

still needed
manly
cronulla
panthers
dragons x 2
liverpool stadium for wests and bulldogs

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Makes it easier when you only have to build two for them though. At this point Sydney is needing 8 decent stadiums, that’s a big ask for a state govt.
The govt has built all sorts of facilities for AFL around the state not just 2 stadiums.

We dont need 8 in Sydney just another 4 or 5 20-25,000 Grounds. They were spending the money on ANZ anyhow.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The govt has built all sorts of facilities for AFL around the state not just 2 stadiums.

We dont need 8 in Sydney just another 4 or 5 20-25,000 Grounds. They were spending the money on ANZ anyhow.
So if your aim is 4 who misses out from the list of 6 above?

jim_57

Staff member
So if your aim is 4 who misses out from the list of 6 above?

Penrith - Upgrade.
Sharks - Seem happy doing their own thing.
Dragons - Hard to present a case for 6 game stadiums.
Bulldogs - New Stadium Liverpool or BankWest if Tigers don’t buy in to Liverpool Idea.
Tigers - New Stadium Liverpool or upgraded Campbelltown.
Manly - Meh, but if other 1 tenant stadiums get done they have a fair case.

The Great Dane

First Grade
well he was the treasurer so he'd know about all the financials of the deals

if perit... perot... peruat....the new NSW premier says its off the table,
then the NRL's grand final deal is off the table too & Vlandys should be very clear that the show will go on the road if the NRL doesn't get what it wants , deserves stadium wise in Sydney.
They didn't follow through on their threats the last couple of times the NSW government played at being Darth Vader, so what reason is there to believe they will now?

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
And rugby union TBH.

Look at the new SFS, roosters, waratah and Sydney FC as marquee tenants is a pretty compelling case for the government to invest. That is approx 35 uses of the stadium each year not including finals. Then you add various international teams, concerts etc. And you have something that is going to be used near on weekly and inject plenty of money in to the local economy.

I believe a similar triumvirate in Canberra would provide a compelling case and do wonders for the city. I know for me personally, I have been to Bruce twice in the 2 years I have been here, one for a chooks game and the other a waratahs game. Put a stadium in the city and I reckon I go to 5+ other events per year just for the socials.
I agree that it's a good strategy, in fact the rectangular sports should have been doing it for years, but it won't work in Canberra's case.

Labour's indifference to the new stadium isn't about the amount of tenants, it's about the cost and their priorities for that money. In other words, the crux of the issue isn't that Labour think that another tenant is necessary, that's just another excuse in a long line of excuses. It's that they don't want to spend the money on the stadium until they have absolutely no choice, so they are delaying it for as long as possible to keep that money free for other things, the main example being the light rail.
Ideally you would mimic the Moore Park set up and build an oval stadium next door for the cricket and AFL but don't think there is room for that.
Even with Parkes way being realigned the Civic pool plot will only just squeeze in a sub-25k seat stadium, which simply isn't big enough. So unless we're willing to knock some buildings down, there's not enough space in Civic anymore.

We (the rectangular sports) should give up on the Civic stadium pipedream and start pushing to get it built in one of the other city centres before they run out of space as well.

Woden is probably the best option as the next most central of the city centres, and it'd be a fitting home for the Raiders.

Last edited:
I agree that it's a good strategy, in fact the rectangular sports should have been doing it for years, but it won't work in Canberra's case.

Labour's indifference to the new stadium isn't about the amount of tenants, it's about the cost and their priorities for that money. In other words, the crux of the issue isn't that Labour think that another tenant is necessary, that's just another excuse in a long line of excuses. It's that they don't want to spend the money on the stadium until they have absolutely no choice, so they are delaying it for as long as possible to keep that money free for other things, the main example being the light rail.

Even with Parkes way being realigned the Civic pool plot will only just squeeze in a sub-25k seat stadium, which simply isn't big enough. So unless we're willing to knock some buildings down, there's not enough space in Civic anymore.

We (the rectangular sports) should give up on the Civic stadium pipedream and start pushing to get it built in one of the other city centres before they run out of space as well.

Woden is probably the best option as the next most central of the city centres, and it'd be a fitting home for the Raiders.
it'll be civic
they'll move parkes way or build a tunnel for the east bound parkes way to go under the sthn edge of the new stadium.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The plan changed from anz to suburban stadiums which the nrl preferred. So the threat was , is still there.
Nothing done at all will trigger a response.
No, the first time they changed the deal from rebuilding ANZ into a rectangle into an upgrade to ANZ and rebuilding the SFS, then after they'd begun construction on the SFS they changed the deal again to ANZ being left as is and the money being wasted on Suburban grounds.

Both those deals included the GF hosting rights, both times the NRL had promised to sell those hosting rights to somebody else if the NSW gov reneged on the deal, and both times the NRL let it slide.
It's actually the reason the NRL started doing the Magic Round; they gave Qld the MR to appease them because they were pissed because they'd been promised the GF rights if NSW reneged on the stadium deal.

Now you can argue that the second time there'd been an administration change at the NRL, and that PVL hadn't made that threat and got what he wanted anyway so it doesn't matter, but A. that doesn't address the first time, and B. threats are meaningless unless you follow through on them and the NRL has a pattern of not following through on their threats.

The Great Dane

First Grade
it'll be civic
they'll move parkes way or build a tunnel for the east bound parkes way to go under the sthn edge of the new stadium.
Then it'll be a shitshow because a sub-25k stadium is too small for a city that is the size of Canberra, especially one that is growing as fast as Canberra is. It wouldn't support bigger games, nor is it a competitive size to regularly attract rep footy and other larger events either. There also isn't enough room in Civic to build other infrastructure that would be needed to support the new stadium, parking being a big one.

Civic simply isn't feasible anymore, and all the benefits you'd get from building it in Civic would still be present if you built it in one of the other city centres anyway. If the government wanted to be really ambitious they could redesign Molonglo's town centre now that it's been delayed by covid, and plan it with the express purpose of supporting the new stadium and maybe a sports/entertainment district more broadly.

TheRam

Coach

sFs tick
bankwest tick

still needed
manly
cronulla
panthers
dragons x 2
liverpool stadium for wests and bulldogs

Yeah so? We have to start somewhere and we are now trying to address decades of neglect. I would also argue that any new franchise that wants to come into the NRL competition must have a starting point of a top end stadium like Parras at a minimum, and in a very user friendly location within easy access to trains and amenities.

None of these hand me down hotchpotch shitty stadiums anymore. The stadium determines the ultimate success of any franchise in modern day sport. To think that it doesn't is to live under a rock in the 1960's. Build it and they will come. We need all those stadiums you listed and we need to be actively working towards it until it becomes a reality.

As much as I think that Perth should have had a team years ago and should never have been cut from the NRL in the first place, I wouldn't award a franchise licence to Perth until the Government guaranteed a brand new built for purpose stadium in a city location first. The people of Perth now demand luxury and style. They wouldn't even think of going to game of RL if it is being dressed up in a hand me down ugly sister type of Stadium now that they have and are used to that beautiful jewel they watch AFL from. To think otherwise is just stupid and the team will be struggling forever to gain real traction and a wider acceptance within the local community.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah so? We have to start somewhere and we are now trying to address decades of neglect. I would also argue that any new franchise that wants to come into the NRL competition must have a starting point of a top end stadium like Parras at a minimum, and in a very user friendly location within easy access to trains and amenities.

None of these hand me down hotchpotch shitty stadiums anymore. The stadium determines the ultimate success of any franchise in modern day sport. To think that it doesn't is to live under a rock in the 1960's. Build it and they will come. We need all those stadiums you listed and we need to be actively working towards it until it becomes a reality.

As much as I think that Perth should have had a team years ago and should never have been cut from the NRL in the first place, I wouldn't award a franchise licence to Perth until the Government guaranteed a brand new built for purpose stadium in a city location first. The people of Perth now demand luxury and style. They wouldn't even think of going to game of RL if it is being dressed up in a hand me down ugly sister type of Stadium now that they have and are used to that beautiful jewel they watch AFL from. To think otherwise is just stupid and the team will be struggling forever to gain real traction and a wider acceptance within the local community.
Govt wont build a stadium without tenants. They wont build one in the hope of one day getting an NRL club, especially given our current chairmans comments. They spent $125mill on HBF Park stadium in 2011 thinking it would lead to a club, it didn't. No way they are, or should, spend $300mill in the hope of NRL one day committing to growth!

HBF park is half way there already and they are about to spend a further $35mill on some upgrades including
  • replacing the halogen lights with a shift to modern LED lighting;
  • upgrading the pitch through removal, levelling and turf replacement;
  • new player races and bench areas; and
  • upgrades to the existing power supply, including a new switch room.
Nib_Stadium.jpgStill needs a new corporate western stand and the shed end sorting and it will be a very nice 25-30k stadium well serviced by public transport and a short walk from Perths nightlife area. It would be lovely to think we would get a new Bankwest quality stadium next to Optus stadium but in reality it wont happen given they have spent $150mill plus already so we need to lobby to get HBF park finished off.

I do agree though that the NRL should be saying to Perth Govt whilst we have a RL man in charge with a $5bill surplus in his pocket, finish HBF Park and fund a HQ/CofE for NRLWA/new club and you'll get a team in 2025!

Last edited:

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Penrith and Brookvale will be announced by the end of the year. The new stadium at Liverpool for dogs and tigers was expected to be announced after that but there will be some doubts as to whether that goes ahead.

Other than that there won't be much more for a while. Cronulla have their own plan for Shark Park. The Dragons won't get much more for Kogarah but its facilities are already reasonanble. Certainly the best of the surburban grounds. Future upgrades should be focused on Wollongong.

That covers it all really.

MugaB

Coach
Penrith and Brookvale will be announced by the end of the year. The new stadium at Liverpool for dogs and tigers was expected to be announced after that but there will be some doubts as to whether that goes ahead.

Other than that there won't be much more for a while. Cronulla have their own plan for Shark Park. The Dragons won't get much more for Kogarah but its facilities are already reasonanble. Certainly the best of the surburban grounds. Future upgrades should be focused on Wollongong.

That covers it all really.
As long as brookvale gets something, i feel thats enough, Penrith would be great, but its not urgent, tigers and dogs in liverpool is a must, but i hear it wont be larger than 22k, due to the space the land that the dogs have there, agree on WIN stadium getting any upgrade nessesary in regards to dragons over kogarah, simply baffles me that they don't play there at WIN 9 home games minimum

Last edited:
Then it'll be a shitshow because a sub-25k stadium is too small for a city that is the size of Canberra, especially one that is growing as fast as Canberra is. It wouldn't support bigger games, nor is it a competitive size to regularly attract rep footy and other larger events either. There also isn't enough room in Civic to build other infrastructure that would be needed to support the new stadium, parking being a big one.

Civic simply isn't feasible anymore, and all the benefits you'd get from building it in Civic would still be present if you built it in one of the other city centres anyway. If the government wanted to be really ambitious they could redesign Molonglo's town centre now that it's been delayed by covid, and plan it with the express purpose of supporting the new stadium and maybe a sports/entertainment district more broadly.
who said it'll be a sub 25K seat venue.
It'll be 25K minimum, maybe a bit bigger. Civic is the only place they're talking about regularly because thats where its going to be built. Civic has more restaurants & bars then all the other town centres combined not to mention hotels & all manor of accomodation & despite the weird way canberra was designed is still the central hub for the entire city. The lack of parking etc is also a furphy as civic hosts far larger events annually then 25K at a football game , like sky fire & floriade.
Its going to be built in civic.

No, the first time they changed the deal from rebuilding ANZ into a rectangle into an upgrade to ANZ and rebuilding the SFS, then after they'd begun construction on the SFS they changed the deal again to ANZ being left as is and the money being wasted on Suburban grounds.

Both those deals included the GF hosting rights, both times the NRL had promised to sell those hosting rights to somebody else if the NSW gov reneged on the deal, and both times the NRL let it slide.
It's actually the reason the NRL started doing the Magic Round; they gave Qld the MR to appease them because they were pissed because they'd been promised the GF rights if NSW reneged on the stadium deal.

Now you can argue that the second time there'd been an administration change at the NRL, and that PVL hadn't made that threat and got what he wanted anyway so it doesn't matter, but A. that doesn't address the first time, and B. threats are meaningless unless you follow through on them and the NRL has a pattern of not following through on their threats.
why would Vlandys address the first renege it had nothing to do with him , & until its confirmed there will be no suburban stadiums then we won't know how Vlandys will react.
He may have to do nothing as they may still be built

Latest posts