What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe Dolphins recruitment targets

some11

Referee
Notable players off contract at the end of 2022

Who would you sign?

Angus Crichton
Alex Johnston
Apisai Koroisau
Reed Mahoney
Ryan Matterson
Joseph Manu
Brandon Smith
Siosiua Taukeiaho
Martin Taupau
Cody Walker
Christian Welch

some11

Referee
Big problem is halfbacks, there's none off contract around then. However Cherry-Evans and Sam Walker are in 2023.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Targets and fill the rest with cheap options
1. Gutherson
4. Manu
6. Nikorima
7. C Johns
8. J Bromwich
9. Koroisau
10. Welch
11. Kikau
13. B Smith

The_Frog

First Grade
Notable players off contract at the end of 2022

Who would you sign?

Angus Crichton
Alex Johnston
Apisai Koroisau
Reed Mahoney
Ryan Matterson
Joseph Manu
Brandon Smith
Siosiua Taukeiaho
Martin Taupau
Cody Walker
Christian Welch
Every one of 'em. And Kikau too.

1. Manu
6. Munster / Cody
7. Hunt
9. Mahoney

Full side based on off contract NRL players and likely salary cap constraints:

1. Manu
2. Corey Thompson
3. Billy Smith
4. Waqa Blake
5. Ronaldo Mulitalo
6. Munster
7. Brooks
8. Flegler
9. Robson
10. Fonua-Blake
11. Liam Martin
12. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
13. Nathan Brown

Valheru

Coach
I feel certain Munster will be there.

They won't be getting Manu. Not saying he definitely stays with us but if he leaves it will be to go to the warriors but I suspect he will re-sign.

I can't see them getting Angus either, he will either re-sign or go to Rugby Union.

SST is a good chance IMO. He won't be re-signed by the chooks after 2022 so whether he goes to Redcliffe, super league or another NRL club who knows.

Mahony being a Queenslander seems a good shout and then you have to be looking at players that Bennett has a relationship with i.e. Walker and Johnston

A definite sleeper that hasn't been mentioned is Ponga. His contract expires end of 2022 with the option to extend for 2 years in his favour.

Danish

Referee
Rather than try and make some shitty halfback work, they should play the long game and wait for a proper half to come off contract and go hard at them in 2023 or 2024.

in the meantime, throw a short term big money deal at Maloney for 1-2 seasons rolling into a coaching gig. He’d be great in the media, and the bloke is just a natural born winner. Every club he goes to improves 4-5 levels and most importantly maintains that improvement after he leaves.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Rather than try and make some shitty halfback work, they should play the long game and wait for a proper half to come off contract and go hard at them in 2023 or 2024.

in the meantime, throw a short term big money deal at Maloney for 1-2 seasons rolling into a coaching gig. He’d be great in the media, and the bloke is just a natural born winner. Every club he goes to improves 4-5 levels and most importantly maintains that improvement after he leaves.
Hasn't been a first grader since 2016

Choppy91

Juniors
Spine i'd go considering the options would be -

1. Dylan Edwards
6. Cody Walker
7. CHT for goal kicking reasons. Slim Pickings at halfback.
9. Reed Mahoney

yobbo84

First Grade
I can definitely see them signing Cody Walker. He'll be 33 at the start of 2023, no way we'll match the money they would throw at him at that age.

Munky

Coach
I can definitely see them signing Cody Walker. He'll be 33 at the start of 2023, no way we'll match the money they would throw at him at that age.

He's only played less than 150 first class matches.

While old for a player his body isn't as destroyed as others his age who have played at NRL intensity since they were 18.

yobbo84

First Grade
He's only played less than 150 first class matches.

While old for a player his body isn't as destroyed as others his age who have played at NRL intensity since they were 18.
I agree and I hope we keep him, but stupid money is stupid money and good clubs don't get into bidding wars for players at the back end of their careers.