What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
If they had any balls they would relocate a Sydney team there.

I agree totally with this.

No one seems to ever mention them due to their strong financial status, but I would of thought the Bulldogs are in no mans land being predominately an inner western club. Sure people will say that they also represent the Liverpool area, but really do they? Have they moved there? Not yet from what I can see. Besides we would have 2 teams playing in the same area if the Liverpool Stadium were ever to get off the ground in the Tigers also being tenants there. So the Tigers could cater to that region anyway.

But sure the Roosters, Sharks or Bulldogs I would have thought should be given massive incentives to move to either South West Brisbane or Adelaide. The game is in desperate need of a strong dictator to rule with an iron fist for around 10 years to sort out all the crap that needs sorting otherwise our children and definitely grand children will be way more familiar with a Sherrin then a Steedan. The clubs need to be kicked in the head and taught who the master is, that being the GAME first otherwise they will just keep on fighting for a forever shrinking pie.

The AFL is now coming into its unstoppable years of catch and conquer. The ARLC are in their brag like idiots years, while RL posts are being torn down and replaced by AFL ones everywhere and we all know that people love a winner.

TheRam

Coach
Oh and what a joke, the team that gets the expansion node don't even have a freakin proper name.

Only the NRL could allow a team to do this and present itself so amateurishly at their unveiling.

Instead of excitement we are all left puzzled and laughing at them. Great start all involved.

Really, the AFL must think that they have been blessed and anointed by God himself by having such a useless and ridiculously comical main competitor. How pathetic.

I am really sick of our sport. Truly sick of them. If only I could get my head around AFL, I would leave the NRL in a flash like some of my family have already jumped to the Swans. Well the kids won't have that problem. Their minds are malleable and easily melded.

Avenger

Immortal
I agree totally with this.

No one seems to ever mention them due to their strong financial status, but I would of thought the Bulldogs are in no mans land being predominately an inner western club. Sure people will say that they also represent the Liverpool area, but really do they? Have they moved there? Not yet from what I can see. Besides we would have 2 teams playing in the same area if the Liverpool Stadium were ever to get off the ground in the Tigers also being tenants there. So the Tigers could cater to that region anyway.

But sure the Roosters, Sharks or Bulldogs I would have thought should be given massive incentives to move to either South West Brisbane or Adelaide. The game is in desperate need of a strong dictator to rule with an iron fist for around 10 years to sort out all the crap that needs sorting otherwise our children and definitely grand children will be way more familiar with a Sherrin then a Steedan. The clubs need to be kicked in the head and taught who the master is, that being the GAME first otherwise they will just keep on fighting for a forever shrinking pie.

The AFL is now coming into its unstoppable years of catch and conquer. The ARLC are in their brag like idiots years, while RL posts are being torn down and replaced by AFL ones everywhere and we all know that people love a winner.
Very good point re: Dogs. They are geographically in a messy area. There is no pedigree in the other two teams that missed out so they should join forces and entice a big Sydney Team to join. Or if the marriage between the Wests Tigers ended they could alternatively move the Balmain Tigers there and give the Wests Magpies the entire area in South West Sydney where they strategically should be anyway. Give them two games at Leichhardt for the nostalgia and be done with it. I think this would be more palatable anyway. I’d rather relocate then merge.

Gronk

Staff member
Oh and what a joke, the team that gets the expansion node don't even have a freakin proper name.

Only the NRL could allow a team to do this and present itself so amateurishly at their unveiling.

Instead of excitement we are all left puzzled and laughing at them. Great start all involved.

Really, the AFL must think that they have been blessed and anointed by God himself by having such a useless and ridiculously comical main competitor. How pathetic.

I am really sick of our sport. Truly sick of them. If only I could get my head around AFL, I would leave the NRL in a flash like some of my family have already jumped to the Swans. Well the kids won't have that problem. Their minds are malleable and easily melded.
I think that your little rant about them being known as the Dolphins is irrelevant. They will just drop into the draw / table quite easy as the NRL always use the nickname shortened version anyway.

1634103532628.png 1634103776795.png

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

My little fella loves AFL. He thinks of the Eels as his dad's team.

To be fair, it's easy to play and very sanitised and well marketed. I think the NRL would lose a lot if it went down that path. It already has done. I'm sure you'll agree.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I think that your little rant about them being known as the Dolphins is irrelevant. They will just drop into the draw / table quite easy as the NRL always use the nickname shortened version anyway.

View attachment 55044 View attachment 55045
Maybe I'm old fashioned but for me it's about engaging the region the team comes from. Making team names generic alienate the most passionate fans and unless they have significant success, new fans will not choose them. If their identity is going to a Queensland team, give them a Queensland name. The Sharks and Bulldogs tried to become generic for marketing purposes, and all went back to their traditional roots. Same goes for playing at 3 different grounds IMO but I understand there's monetary considerations. It's not going so well for the Tigers though.

Its also for this reason that I don't support relocation either.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
My little fella loves AFL. He thinks of the Eels as his dad's team.

To be fair, it's easy to play and very sanitised and well marketed. I think the NRL would lose a lot if it went down that path. It already has done. I'm sure you'll agree.

I never suggested we sanitize it. In fact I would go the other way.

And of course your little fella loves it, we already have lost the war, we oldies just don't know it yet.

Kind of like the Nazis in 1942 after the Russian advance, they just didn't know it till 1945 when the allies finally raised their flag over Berlin.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I never suggested we sanitize it. In fact I would go the other way.

And of course your little fella loves it, we already have lost the war, we oldies just don't know it yet.

Kind of like the Nazis in 1942 after the Russian advance, they just didn't know it till 1945 when the allies finally raised their flag over Berlin.
To 'win' we would need to sanitise the game. You underestimate the signalling involved for the typical AFL supporter. Mums and corporate Wallaby supporters are THE target demographic. Similar to supporting the Roosters in the NRL. Even the Storm are marketed this way in Melbourne. They are just looking for an excuse to rissole Munster. He might be their best player but they will replace him in the space of an off season with Ponga or someone like that. It's similar to why the Chooks were happy for Latrell Mitchell to be somebody else's problem. Players like that get rubbed out of the AFL very early on. It doesn't matter how talented they are, mostly because 'talent' in the modern AFL is just about being a quick, hard-working little merkin and creating the most opportunities to run away from the opposition. Aggro and physical dominance just aren't important enough to getting results. If you can physically get the most players around the ball you'll win AFL games.

Apologies for the essay

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Good to see the NRL has failed miserably once again to protect and strengthen the game.

Add a franchise to the north of Brisbane, while the AFL setup camp and dine out on the number one junior area of the State in the south western corridor of QLD. The AFL's new football development and $100m spend by them is going to be money well spent.

You really think kids only want to play the code which is played in their local area?

I mean some HM kids are recruited from the country and play HM in the city, we recruited Dylbags from NZ at 15 ffs, yet you allege kids wont travel across town. Makes no sense to me.

The western corridor could not financially stump up for a new team yet you blame the NRL for not supporting a team that may fail financially, sounds to me like they did the right thing although I'm not privy to the decision making process.

And as for the western corridor become AFL heartland, just f**king lol. Nearly all the AFL fans up here are expat Mexicans because they are Victoria's biggest export.

The Brisbane Lions are now the number one team in Brisbane with 40K members, more then the Broncos.

May have a lot to do with the fact that the Lions are on top and the Broncos have been shit for years.

Also there is a lot of dislike for the Broncos up here and those fans who hate them will be all over the Dolphins regardless of which suburb they are located in.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You really think kids only want to play the code which is played in their local area?

I mean some HM kids are recruited from the country and play HM in the city, we recruited Dylbags from NZ at 15 ffs, yet you allege kids wont travel across town. Makes no sense to me.

The western corridor could not financially stump up for a new team yet you blame the NRL for not supporting a team that may fail financially, sounds to me like they did the right thing although I'm not privy to the decision making process.

And as for the western corridor become AFL heartland, just f**king lol. Nearly all the AFL fans up here are expat Mexicans because they are Victoria's biggest export.

May have a lot to do with the fact that the Lions are on top and the Broncos have been shit for years.

Also there is a lot of dislike for the Broncos up here and those fans who hate them will be all over the Dolphins regardless of which suburb they are located in.
Yep, the best thing going for the Dolphins is that they are the anti-Broncos. It's why the NRL wanted to expand to a city where they already have a team. Local derbies tap into what sport is all about.

Latest posts