What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official: Redcliffe Dolphins to join NRL in 2023

MugaB

Coach
Dated 12th May, chances are they reserved a few options. IMO Sunshine State is the worst of the potential choices that have been put out there, too generic, gives me "Greater Western Sydney" vibes.
But that's exactly what they want, a "GREATER BRISBANE/SEQ" team to rival the inner city bronx..
Sunshine State Dolphins, is bigger than Brisbane, or Moreton LGA and Sunshine Coast, yet it represents all of them. The northern corridor of SEQ

Would you prefer "Greater SEQ Dolphins" hawhawhaw or remain "THE"

Timbo

Staff member
View attachment 55089

Strange.

OK - in addition to ‘Sunshine State Dolphins’ the following names have been registered with ASIC:

- Brisbane Dolphins
- Rivercity Dolphins
- Moreton Bay Dolphins
- Sunstate Dolphins

The following names have [not] been registered with ASIC:

- Queensland Dolphins
- East Coast Dolphins
- River City Dolphins
- South Queensland Dolphins
- South-East Queensland Dolphins
- Northern Dolphins
- The Dolphins

Probably means nothing, but given the near universal backlash they’re copping I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s one of the five names that have been registered.

MugaB

Coach
View attachment 55089

Strange.

OK - in addition to ‘Sunshine State Dolphins’ the following names have been registered with ASIC:

- Brisbane Dolphins
- Rivercity Dolphins
- Moreton Bay Dolphins
- Sunstate Dolphins

The following names have [not] been registered with ASIC:

- Queensland Dolphins
- East Coast Dolphins
- River City Dolphins
- South Queensland Dolphins
- South-East Queensland Dolphins
- Northern Dolphins
- The Dolphins

Probably means nothing, but given the near universal backlash they’re copping I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s one of the five names that have been registered.
East Coast has a great ring to it, but not definitive to only QLDs coast, east coast could also be byron bay for example.
Queensland Dolphins is basically Sunstate or Sunshine State Dolphins.
Sth QLD is a repeat and will carry the crushers v.2.0 stigma with it.
Northern Dolphins? Northern what? More northern than the cowboys... is it?
River City is in every city, plus they aren't looking at being a "river city" or brisbane only team...
They are trying to be the Northern Corridor of SEQ.. (SC to MB to Brisvegas)
The only one i see that works is sunshine State Dolphins

rabbitohs

Juniors
As a Port Adelaide fan I can assure Redcliffe fans that the club will absolutely regret dropping Redcliffe from the name and changing the colours once the 'shiny' wears off.

myrrh ken

First Grade
East Coast has a great ring to it, but not definitive to only QLDs coast, east coast could also be byron bay for example.
Queensland Dolphins is basically Sunstate or Sunshine State Dolphins.
Sth QLD is a repeat and will carry the crushers v.2.0 stigma with it.
Northern Dolphins? Northern what? More northern than the cowboys... is it?
River City is in every city, plus they aren't looking at being a "river city" or brisbane only team...
They are trying to be the Northern Corridor of SEQ.. (SC to MB to Brisvegas)
The only one i see that works is sunshine State Dolphins
South East Dolphins is my pick.

As SE is synonymous with Queensland, not NSW, the Queensland bit is superfluous .

What type of following do we expect the new team to get? I know bugger all about QLD demographics so is there some big pool of fans in Brisbane that hate the Broncos and will jump on board or is this more a case that whatever fans they get are currently Broncos fans who feel more of a kinship for the Redcliffe region like when Western Sydney entered the A-League?
There are so many Sydney expats up here that hate the broncos, we will all support Redcliffe and attend games, including Australia’s faster growing regional are in the Sunshine Coast is a smart move too.

siv

First Grade
In the old Bulimba Cup

We had Brisbane, Ipswich, Toowoomba

Later there were Gold Coast regional team

There would be no issue with sticking to the name Redcliffe

Wonder who their Qld Cup feeder teams will be?

Anyone who has a "second team" is not a real fair dinkum supporter of their "main team" and no-one can convince me otherwise
What about me I’m from Cronulla and been to 350 sharks games, moved to the Sunshine Coast eight years ago.
I miss live footy, should I not support rugby league in my new home?
I never though I’d support anyone but Cronulla but I’ve always believed in supporting the local team.

Latest posts