What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

Nuke

Staff member
My issue with Laurie Puddy and his bid is: Where has he been for 24yrs? And I mean that in as far as groundwork goes. Once potential expansion is being talked about, that's when he comes out of the woodwork, saying he'll run it, he just needs 2yrs, and he'll organise for lots of development officers to go into schools, ect.
That's all great, but he's nowhere to be seen in all that time between expansion talks. NRL have development officers going into schools all over WA. Sure, more would be better, but it is already taking place. There is an academy system and pathways programme in place. Sure, the Pirates rarely get within 30 points of their opposition, let alone actually winning a game, but the number of WC Pirates players who have gained an NRL contract would have to easily outnumber that of Melbourne's ... and they've had a successful NRL team for 23yrs.

The biggest differences between the Pirates bid and the Reds bid is that the Reds want to build the club from the top down, while the Pirates work from the ground up.

I have a feeling that both respective parties would have too vastly a different outlook on things to actually work together harmoniously, but imagine if both came together...

RedVee

First Grade
Mr Puddle was just on 2SM TalkinSport.

He did quite a bit of self promotion (imo) and was dirty on the actions in the past, but was confident Perth would be ready to go at anytime the NRL want them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Momentum seems to be gathering again. Not overly excited as we had massive momentum in 2011 and it came to nothing. But I guess knowing there will be an 18th team soon it’s probably now or never for perth.

Rugby league great Greg Alexander thinks Perth should be the next city to receive an NRL side.

With the NRL recently expanding to 17 teams via The Dolphins, the competition say they will naturally expand to 18 teams when the time’s right.

While Perth has already had a first-grade rugby league side – with the WA Reds playing in both the ARL and Super League in the 90s – Alexander believes that’s where the league should look towards due to the opportunities it affords them in broadcasting.

“Perth, yep, let’s go back to Perth,” Alexander said on SEN 1170 Mornings.

“We should never have left Perth.

“I think there’s room, and I think that would open up different timeslots for broadcasters.

“Let’s go to Perth.”
With New Zealand being floated as another potential destination for an 18th side, Alexander explained why he prefers Perth to that option.

“There is love there (New Zealand),” Alexander said.

“But, I don’t know if there’s the support over there to go for two teams.

“If we still had the under 20s, which was what New Zealand hung their hat on and what was so important for them – they were on television and New Zealand kids loved it, they were able to get a lot of young rugby union stars across to play in their 20s sides.

“If there was still an under 20s competition that was a national or international side with New Zealand in it, I would go a New Zealand team.

“But, that’s not there, and I don’t know if that’s any chance of getting off the ground anymore.

“So, I’d miss New Zealand and I’d go to Perth.”

While no date has been placed on the NRL’s next expansion, it is believed it could come when the new TV deal is due to be renegotiated in 2028.

Perth Red

Post Whore
My issue with Laurie Puddy and his bid is: Where has he been for 24yrs? And I mean that in as far as groundwork goes. Once potential expansion is being talked about, that's when he comes out of the woodwork, saying he'll run it, he just needs 2yrs, and he'll organise for lots of development officers to go into schools, ect.
That's all great, but he's nowhere to be seen in all that time between expansion talks. NRL have development officers going into schools all over WA. Sure, more would be better, but it is already taking place. There is an academy system and pathways programme in place. Sure, the Pirates rarely get within 30 points of their opposition, let alone actually winning a game, but the number of WC Pirates players who have gained an NRL contract would have to easily outnumber that of Melbourne's ... and they've had a successful NRL team for 23yrs.

The biggest differences between the Pirates bid and the Reds bid is that the Reds want to build the club from the top down, while the Pirates work from the ground up.

I have a feeling that both respective parties would have too vastly a different outlook on things to actually work together harmoniously, but imagine if both came together...
Yeh at least Cummins has continued to pour millions of his own $’s to keep grassroots RL alive in WA with little return.

ideally I think a WC Pirates bid with a three way ownership between Cummins, NRLWA and a third investor would my preferred choice. Ensures the grassroots stays clearly connected to the nrl club so we avoid a Storm scenario.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mr Puddle was just on 2SM TalkinSport.

He did quite a bit of self promotion (imo) and was dirty on the actions in the past, but was confident Perth would be ready to go at anytime the NRL want them.
My understanding was he was one of the WARL board members who was very much against news ltd take over In 95. It was all very acrimonious between different board members, the gossip I heard was news ltd offering to be the main sponsor for a ridiculous amount of money was the decider to hand it over. Probably why Laurie is still burnt.

Santino Patane

Juniors
Yeh at least Cummins has continued to pour millions of his own $’s to keep grassroots RL alive in WA with little return.

ideally I think a WC Pirates bid with a three way ownership between Cummins, NRLWA and a third investor would my preferred choice. Ensures the grassroots stays clearly connected to the nrl club so we avoid a Storm scenario.
Here’s a question out of pure ignorance- why “Pirates”? It seems like a bit of a Raiders rip off (as outsiders coming in by ships to wreak havoc). Is there no appetite to reimagine the Reds? Is it just a purposeful differentiation of two entities, and are you happy with the moniker “Pirates”??

Perth Red

Post Whore
Here’s a question out of pure ignorance- why “Pirates”? It seems like a bit of a Raiders rip off (as outsiders coming in by ships to wreak havoc). Is there no appetite to reimagine the Reds? Is it just a purposeful differentiation of two entities, and are you happy with the moniker “Pirates”??
At the time of the change the bid team felt that the Reds brand had a bit of a tainted failure whiff about it and they also wanted to generate some media hype as Sage was in the papers talking about bidding with Elias leading the bid. The Reds consortium thought a new brand would push them over the line with the nrl.

in terms of do I like it, I think the Reds logo and jersey was very strong in its day. I’d be happy to see it back in the nrl. Having said that I can see the Pirates brand being a unique proposition in Australian sport, being really attractive to kids, being massive for merch sales and you could do a lot of fun things with it for game day experience. Tampa bay have some really cool game day experience stuff themed around it In NFL. At this point I’d be over the moon with either!

for those that don’t know this was the western reds rebrand as part of our bid in 2011. I was asked to lead the development of a supporters group which was gaining great support at the time.

FDD9A26F-3FE9-4022-BA4F-B0968D8957FD.jpeg27196413-F03C-4FBB-B07E-DA7A06E85E16.jpeg

Pippen94

First Grade
At the time of the change the bid team felt that the Reds brand had a bit of a tainted failure whiff about it and they also wanted to generate some media hype as Sage was in the papers talking about bidding with Elias leading the bid. The Reds consortium thought a new brand would push them over the line with the nrl.

in terms of do I like it, I think the Reds logo and jersey was very strong in its day. I’d be happy to see it back in the nrl. Having said that I can see the Pirates brand being a unique proposition in Australian sport, being really attractive to kids, being massive for merch sales and you could do a lot of fun things with it for game day experience. Tampa bay have some really cool game day experience stuff themed around it In NFL. At this point I’d be over the moon with either!

for those that don’t know this was the western reds rebrand as part of our bid in 2011. I was asked to lead the development of a supporters group which was gaining great support at the time.

View attachment 55322View attachment 55323

In interest of full disclosure you should place a disclaimer on ur posts stating ur involvement with Perth bids..

Perth Red

Post Whore
This was the supporters group a few of us got up and running. I bought 1000 flags from China to give out to fans at one game when we were thinking the nrl was going to expand lol we had caps done, bumper stickers, stands at games. Be nice to get another one up and running for proper at some point in future!

FB5A17F4-E4BD-42B4-A9FF-F03C8BC674E9.jpeg5997C69B-F49D-4898-9718-F7B49F6D21B5.jpeg1529E376-5B33-4414-BA7E-D7CF1EB54B61.jpeg04F2456C-7FB5-4CD4-8EDB-AA55A9C947A9.jpegBBB282FC-9B15-4316-8059-4A1CC401E16F.jpeg

Perth Red

Post Whore
All qld bids existed years before call. Let us know if or when u joined one of Perth bids were currently here about, so it can give context to ur slagging off the competition
Can someone translate this into English please?

Nuke

Staff member
I found my WA Reds Army cap just the other day! I'd forgotten that I did that logo back in the day.

As far as I'm aware, nobody here is involved directly or indirectly with any Perth expansion bids. Just a few very hopeful supporters of such an idea.

There are 3 mooted potential bids: West Coast Pirates (NRLWA are running that), Western Reds (Laurie Puddy & whoever else from back in the day), and Perth Quokkas (the Perth Glory fella).

Perth Red

Post Whore
From what we're hearing seems like none of these bids ever really go away - just like the qld bids. Puts a sinister twist on ur posts, particularly criticism of rival cities
Haha , the tin foil is showing mate, mind you half on here think I’m an afl fan so I suppose it’s a step up from that lol

Perth Red

Post Whore
I found my WA Reds Army cap just the other day! I'd forgotten that I did that logo back in the day.

As far as I'm aware, nobody here is involved directly or indirectly with any Perth expansion bids. Just a few very hopeful supporters of such an idea.

There are 3 mooted potential bids: West Coast Pirates (NRLWA are running that), Western Reds (Laurie Puddy & whoever else from back in the day), and Perth Quokkas (the Perth Glory fella).
Still wear mine in the garage :)

MugaB

Coach

View attachment 55322View attachment 55323
I love the logo, but the jersey needs more gold involved, i know when the Perth reds jumped to SL, they were predominantly red and black, with gold as the trim, but it needs to be equally between the other two main colors, i actually don't mind the pirates current jersey, although its bright, it stands out, and as WA has its roots in black and gold, i think thats the way to go...
Mind you the inaugural Reds jersey is pretty good, i kinda wish they stuck with it in 96-97.
The sevens jersey should have been the main home strip as they are called the Reds, that was mainly red, with the black and gold strip

Santino Patane

Juniors
This was the supporters group a few of us got up and running. I bought 1000 flags from China to give out to fans at one game when we were thinking the nrl was going to expand lol we had caps done, bumper stickers, stands at games. Be nice to get another one up and running for proper at some point in future!

View attachment 55324View attachment 55325View attachment 55326View attachment 55327View attachment 55328
Cheers mate.

I’d love to see the Reds back, strong brand and looks great! I’d dare say the Roo would need to be simplified for 2021, a la my team (Titans) and Wests. With Redcliffe in now, if they got up, do you think they would have to change colours a bit, like make black more prominent and ditch white??