What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Clive Churchill Performances

butchmcdick

Immortal
I've already mentioned this.

When media darlings like JT get it for just showing up, the least they could do is give it to someone from the winning team.

2013 in particular, the roosters won the last 25 minutes 18-0. How on earth you find a winner from the losing team in that situation is beyond me.
I've watched our win over the broncos in 2015 so many times

I still get goosebumps when JT slots home the FG to win it for us (take that you bronco merkins !)

That said Milford was hands down the best player on the ground that night

JT and even Morgan may have had flashes of brilliance but the MILF was best on ground by a mile

Dodgy

Juniors
off topic but this is what I dont understand with the 6 again drama of that GF - the amount of possession and field position Canberra had that game, I cannot accept that Raiders were dudded in that game.
Canberra might be looked down upon to lessen the severity of the 6 again confusion. But while they didn't score, I've just looked up that Tedesco's try was in the 73rd minute was 66 minutes after Verrillis' try and 52 minutes since the Roosters had scored a point. Maybe the Raiders should've scored for the possession they had, but it's not the point. If nothing else, the Roosters were struggling as well.

The 6 against broke the ebb and flow of the play, and the ROoster scored off that when they otherwise wouldn't have. The try took away the possibility of a field goal for the Raiders to win, which was definitely a possibility had the game continued unabated.

anjado

Juniors
No one has mentioned it but Ricky Stuart in 1990 was a fantastic display of kicking Penrith defended really well and basically kept Canberra in their own half for the majority of the game only for Stuart to kick the ball 50-60 metres down field every time, he also played a huge part in their first two tries.

Priddis for me is the benchmark and gold standard I don't think I will ever see better.

The worst Clive Churchill medalist by a mile was Bradley Clyde in 1991. Mal Meninga saved about 4 tries and was comfortably Canberra's best player by a mile. Clyde made one line break off a Meninga pass that led to a try that was it.

Alexander, Paul Smith, Izzard, Fittler, Geyer and obviously Royce Simmons were all vastly superior to Clyde that day too and it's the biggest crock of shit man of the match award in the history of the game.

Valheru

Coach
Canberra might be looked down upon to lessen the severity of the 6 again confusion. But while they didn't score, I've just looked up that Tedesco's try was in the 73rd minute was 66 minutes after Verrillis' try and 52 minutes since the Roosters had scored a point. Maybe the Raiders should've scored for the possession they had, but it's not the point. If nothing else, the Roosters were struggling as well.

The 6 against broke the ebb and flow of the play, and the ROoster scored off that when they otherwise wouldn't have. The try took away the possibility of a field goal for the Raiders to win, which was definitely a possibility had the game continued unabated.
Anything could have happened if the 6 again call stuck. Maybe Canberra score a try, maybe they get a drop goal, maybe they get stopped like they did the previous 50 minutes, maybe they drop the ball on tackle 1, maybe they throw an intercept... we don't know.

What we do know is they had every opportunity to win in the 2nd half and couldn't get the job done. The 6 again would have actually been the wrong decision and not 1 person would have felt sorry for us had they scored off the back of it.

Pippen94

First Grade
I've watched our win over the broncos in 2015 so many times

I still get goosebumps when JT slots home the FG to win it for us (take that you bronco merkins !)

That said Milford was hands down the best player on the ground that night

JT and even Morgan may have had flashes of brilliance but the MILF was best on ground by a mile

Irony jt was pretty great in 2005

butchmcdick

Immortal
Hey hey hey... braindead flogs are smarter.
Now now

you’re talking about one of the self proclaimed best centres in the world

Joey Leilua has taken a clip at Michael Maguire on the way out of Wests Tigers, accusing the coach of only blaming his players at the battling club.

In a dramatic day for the out-of-contract centre, Leilua backed himself to fight on and claimed he was still “one of the best centres in the game”.

Munky

Coach
To be fair to BJ centre depth is pretty poor at the moment.

The reigning Dally M centre of the year never played the position before this season and the NSW centres have been fullbacks.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
2019 wighton was great but still couldn't create a single point in the 2nd half with overwhelming possession and against 12 men for 10 minutes.

Wighton is far too selfish as a player, while not as evident as it is now. He had more than enough opportunities so if he was good enough to win the CC he should have been good enough to win the game.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Now now

you’re talking about one of the self proclaimed best centres in the world

Joey Leilua has taken a clip at Michael Maguire on the way out of Wests Tigers, accusing the coach of only blaming his players at the battling club.

In a dramatic day for the out-of-contract centre, Leilua backed himself to fight on and claimed he was still “one of the best centres in the game”.

Maybe BJ has gone to rugby Union, in that case he might be right

off topic but this is what I dont understand with the 6 again drama of that GF - the amount of possession and field position Canberra had that game, I cannot accept that Raiders were dudded in that game.

They had chances to win, 100%, we will never know what would have happened had play gone on. The fact the Roosters immediately scored off the back of this made it hard to swallow. It was getting towards field goal time as well, and this was a gilt edged opportunity to do so. Although, as mentioned before, the Raiders could have dropped the ball on the next tackle or thrown an intercept.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Fittler in 2002 was just as good as Keary in 2018. Perhaps even better.

He set up 4 of our 5 trys and kicked the match turning 40/20. He also indirectly inspired the troops afterwards by copping Villasanti's vicious headbutt which led to Morley firing up and destroying the Warriors.

Aside from Priddis in 2003 I haven't seen a more influential GF performance.

Mystifying how he didn't win the CCM. Fifita would be up there too. What an incredible GF winning try; steamrolling the entirety of the Storm's desperate middle 3rd to score.

The_Frog

First Grade
Anything could have happened if the 6 again call stuck. Maybe Canberra score a try, maybe they get a drop goal, maybe they get stopped like they did the previous 50 minutes, maybe they drop the ball on tackle 1, maybe they throw an intercept... we don't know.

What we do know is they had every opportunity to win in the 2nd half and couldn't get the job done. The 6 again would have actually been the wrong decision and not 1 person would have felt sorry for us had they scored off the back of it.
8 minutes to go. I would have taken the point were I them. Anything could have happened after that but there is little doubt, having kept the Roosters at bay for over an hour, they were rattled by the reversal of the call and weren't prepared to defend.