What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Clive Churchill Performances

The_Frog

First Grade
The guy who ankle tapped Byrne deserves all the credit for that tackle. He doesn't do that Sattler gets no where near him.
I tried to make the argument a while back that Lewis checked him, but the truth is he'd run another 30 metres and the lock forward at the back end of his career was travelling faster than the winger in his prime, which is quite remarkable.

Lewis aged 20 would surely have got him if he'd given chase and not gone for the ankle tap, so Sattler saved his arse.

Last edited:
Fittler in 2002 was just as good as Keary in 2018. Perhaps even better.

He set up 4 of our 5 trys and kicked the match turning 40/20. He also indirectly inspired the troops afterwards by copping Villasanti's vicious headbutt which led to Morley firing up and destroying the Warriors.

Aside from Priddis in 2003 I haven't seen a more influential GF performance.

Mystifying how he didn't win the CCM. Fifita would be up there too. What an incredible GF winning try; steamrolling the entirety of the Storm's desperate middle 3rd to score.

Morley was not alone in "seek and destroy" mode after that incident. Peter Cusack also got Villasanti with a belter of a tackle later that half also. Just about the entire pack fired up after that hit and made it a mission to avenge Freddy.

Edwards performance was deserving of the Clive Churchill Medal in my opinion. He did just about everything during that game, and I'm sure he'd have also run the water out if he'd been allowed too.

Where would I rank it compared to others? I wouldn't put it in the top tier. That's not because he is a Panther or any such rot, its more that as a team the Panthers were so dominant all over the park, and Parramatta so poor, that his impact comparative to players like Keary in 2018 and Priddis in 2003 was not quite as influential in the overall result.

Nuke

Staff member
Ben Kennedy was 100% the best player in the 2001 GF. I've had a saying in League for many years that's more a reflection on things than a personal preference, but it's: 'When in doubt, give it to the halfback'.

These days, since Robbie O'Davis in 1997 (he was the first), a number of fullbacks have also won it, so the trend is 'When in doubt, give it to the half / fullback', given the influence fullbacks have these days in both attack and defence.

Someguy

First Grade
Churchill medal is made political by the NRL everyone knew that Fifita won it 2016.

wait wat!? He didn’t win it!?

It’s no Farah missing out to Bird(some dodgy pre game betting involved) in origin bad but none the less he was utterly dominant and deserving of the CC

Canard

Immortal
Brad Mackay being awarded it in 1993, was pure salt from the NSWRL.

To win it in a side that loses 3 tries to nil, give me a spell.

Chimp

Juniors
Andrew Fifita 2016…… if FKL hadn’t been a thing…..

No disrespect to Lukey Lewis (particularly as I had backed Lewis for it and won over $1k), I LOVE him, as a bloke and a player…. But that trophy belonged to Fifita!

Latest posts