What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18th club, whose next?

magpie_man

Juniors
Unfortunately I think #18 will be NZ but it really should be Perth.
Where would you even base another NZ team? Christchurch and Wellington have populations of only ~400 000 and are already dominated by Rugby Union.
Phil Gould seems to think it should be located in Auckland, but what point of difference does a second Auckland team bring to the Warriors? In stark contrast to the Broncos, aren't the Warriors already generally liked across their home city?

Colk

First Grade
Unfortunately I think #18 will be NZ but it really should be Perth.
Where would you even base another NZ team? Christchurch and Wellington have populations of only ~400 000 and are already dominated by Rugby Union.
Phil Gould seems to think it should be located in Auckland, but what point of difference does a second Auckland team bring to the Warriors? In stark contrast to the Broncos, aren't the Warriors already generally liked across their home city?

Exactly the potential problems with a second NZ side. Where would it be based and would it have the corporate support.

I think the only way it would work immediately would be if you got some big name Rugby converts to stoke some interest. The potential talent you could source would be a positive

Perth Red

Post Whore
Here we go again the money men and investors... coming out of the woodwork, this sounds awefully like the bears, ipswich, bombers and every other bid that is trying to spark up media fans of expansion, purely to grab an ear of the ARLC, which means shit really, yes perth is deserved of a team, but will it be the bid that has hearsay investors, and talk about 2 year headstart, dophins had been settings eyes on an expansion slot for decades, hoping and nurturing juniors/participation, building a nestegg and foundations to push hard for a spot...
Can't be just giving away licences to the only bid in the far far away city of perth just coz dots on a map, to a shonkey laury puddy.

Like i said i want a perth team just feel they are not competitive enough, to deserve one, i mean would we still persist with Melbourne if they weren't true born winners,
I'd probably say yes, mostly due to the 5mil population, and Perth deserve a team with its soon to be 3 million population, but not a shit team, from a shit bid, that has a license first mentality, howabout build the Joondalup Giants up to become a powerhouse for example, then get them to push for a licence, not this bring back the reds, and then we'll figure shit out on the run...most NRL clubs started as a lower tier club and were promoted up to 1st grade, with the dolphins expansion this has come back around, yes easts and ipswich were similar in being an existing product, but any one of the bids would be able to go toe to toe with most NRL clubs, can't say the same about anything currently in WA
Except the biggest club in the world is broncos and the most succesful club in nrl is Storm so this notion you have to have 50 years of grassroots existence to be succesful when you enter is total rubbish.

would be pretty easy for the nrl to confirm or disprove his claim of having major investors ready to go. No way in the world a NRLWA club could or should step up. We need a club for the state to get behind.

if the club has some serious backing there is no reason it couldn’t be a powerhouse and compete with existing clubs. No illusions it will be dam hard work and will need a long term strategy but the potential here is enormous. And that’s the thing, it’s new fans, new players, new audience. That’s what expansion should be looking for.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Only thing nz2 would have going it’s favour would be 1. Sky nz possibly paying for a new club 2. Vlandys stupidity in believing tribalism will drive major success by bringing in another nz club.
player development wise it would seem there is no shortage of direct pathways to the nrl for nz jnrs now.

Colk

First Grade
Whilst I am in favour of a Perth side I don’t know if you can count supporters too far outside of Perth as your usual supporter base (maybe Bunbury would be your outer point)

Nonetheless there is enough people to generate support for a side

Colk

First Grade
On the question of another NZ side, I think there is some potential but the aspect that I find so puzzling for those who advocate the second NZ side is why the clamour for a new side when the existing side haven’t been well supported by the NRL administration.

You hardly ever see the Warriors on FTA here in Australia and there has historically been very little support on TV over there. If there is support from the NRL and by people within the Rugby League community for a second side in NZ wouldn’t be germane to invest and support your existing brand in NZ first

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whilst I am in favour of a Perth side I don’t know if you can count supporters too far outside of Perth as your usual supporter base (maybe Bunbury would be your outer point)

Nonetheless there is enough people to generate support for a side
Majority of population live in that catchmment

Nuke

Staff member
[sarcasm] Maybe the 18th team could be the Perth Keas, with home games split 50:50 between Perth and Wellington.

There are heaps of ex-pat kiwis in WA, and the NRL will get the benefit of not one but TWO new timeslots (depending on which homeground they're at that week). You get the NZ rivalry, plus extra Sky TV money AND WA Government / mining companies sponsorship money.

Colours would be black and gold (Wellington's and WA's colours).

[/sarcasm]

Colk

First Grade

That is true but again you shouldn’t use WA’s whole population when discussing the merits of a Perth side. I couldn’t imagine much active support in say Broome due to distance - although I could be wrong. Again this is semantics as they clearly have the best bid

Perth Red

Post Whore

That is true but again you shouldn’t use WA’s whole population when discussing the merits of a Perth side. I couldn’t imagine much active support in say Broome due to distance - although I could be wrong. Again this is semantics as they clearly have the best bid
RL is pretty active in northern WA so we may well pick up some non ticketed members and sell merch in that area. That’s why they’ve gone with west coast rather than perth Pirates as they want to bring the entire states rl community together.

MugaB

Coach
RL is pretty active in northern WA so we may well pick up some non ticketed members and sell merch in that area. That’s why they’ve gone with west coast rather than perth Pirates as they want to bring the entire states rl community together.
Don't fall in the trap of alienating perth as a name....hehe

Colk

First Grade
It was in relation to how sky has its fingers in RU pie in NZ

No my reply was in relation to how Twiggy Forrest was in control of Rugby in WA. I don’t see how the person in charge of another code in WA would have any impact the chances of a Perth NRL side unless you are can determine a conflict of interest would arise like News Ltd with the second Brisbane side and who they choose.

Unless News Ltd owns a stake in the Western Force or one of the AFL sides, then I don’t see a conflict of interest

Latest posts