What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyrone May

Kilkenny

Coach
Sure, call it overboard but not "the media hates us". There's a difference and a lot of the articles were trash journalism so not sure why any fan would take them seriously or take offence.

IMO, if May's post had not occurred a lot of the media narrative is likely very different.
Again who has suggested the media hates us?

Myself and others have simply suggested the narrative around our post GF celebration was not fair and balanced.

Ive never suggested the media hates us.

For a while during 2020 and this recently completed season everyone loved us.

We didn’t deserve the hate, the negative press it was so undeserving and rightly should be called out for what it is IMO.

Kilkenny

Coach
Sadly we are all going around in circles here.

Tyrone Mays fate will be determined in a weeks time I hope from my perspective he gets a fair hearing.

Black Diamond

Juniors

Myself and others have simply suggested the narrative around our post GF celebration was not fair and balanced.

We didn’t deserve the hate, the negative press it was so undeserving and rightly should be called out for what it is IMO.
We were hated in 2020 onwards because we were successful

DinkyDi

Juniors
and so that makes it right .........

It was a no fault stand down by the NRL. Yes he was paid for that.

Was he paid for the actual suspension. Probably only a few folks know actual answer to that.
In the real world, Alice, most people who are stood down by their employer, does not get paid. Clearly that concept is lost on you.

soc123_au

Staff member
In the real world, Alice, most people who are stood down by their employer, does not get paid. Clearly that concept is lost on you.
The no fault stand down policy is an NRL initiative. Part of it is the player in question gets paid. It is a completely different set of circumstances than someone outside of the NRL being stood down from their employment. Although it is common to hear of police, teachers, hospital staff etc to be stood down from their positions pending an investigation on full pay.

Iamback

Coach
Sure, call it overboard but not "the media hates us". There's a difference and a lot of the articles were trash journalism so not sure why any fan would take them seriously or take offence.

IMO, if May's post had not occurred a lot of the media narrative is likely very different.

Ricky's mates on NRL 360 have been going hard ever since we broke Raiders. So much so that the Ref stuffing up in placing a conversion in Storm game was put on us. So doesn't matter what we do was always going to cop it

Abacus

Juniors

Numerous references to media agenda against the club and that it's unearned. May's post the morning after the GF was all the invitation the media needed to spin any bit of celebratory fun (e.g. Kikau) or accident (e.g. trophy).

I get your desire to see it called out - just seems as pointless as howling at the moon. Different strokes I guess.

Abacus

Juniors
Ricky's mates on NRL 360 have been going hard ever since we broke Raiders. So much so that the Ref stuffing up in placing a conversion in Storm game was put on us. So doesn't matter what we do was always going to cop it
It's generated from fear following a couple of years of success. The team already wears black, if they want us to be the bad guys, then embrace the hate. Most people see click bait for what it is.

Black Diamond

Juniors
The no fault stand down policy is an NRL initiative. Part of it is the player in question gets paid. It is a completely different set of circumstances than someone outside of the NRL being stood down from their employment. Although it is common to hear of police, teachers, hospital staff etc to be stood down from their positions pending an investigation on full pay.
Yes this has happened recently in my area of employment where a person has been stood down on full pay pending investigation.

Black Diamond

Juniors
Sorry you are
Sorry you are wrong, this is happening right now in my area of employment and the person being investigated has been stood down on full pay pending outcome of investigation. This is in the real world.

Iamback

Coach
It's generated from fear following a couple of years of success. The team already wears black, if they want us to be the bad guys, then embrace the hate. Most people see click bait for what it is.

Alot is also postcode hate. How dare people from poor backgrounds become good.

Even with May in the side the club is still growing its fanbase. To'o, Luai etc are popular with the kids.

I get that. While the board want the image changed is the only worry I have

DinkyDi

Juniors
Sorry you are
Sorry you are wrong, this is happening right now in my area of employment and the person being investigated has been stood down on full pay pending outcome of investigation. This is in the real world.
Well good for you. I also know of someone, who is also stood down from his job, without pay.

DinkyDi

Juniors
Not in all professions. I know of someone, who is being stood down from his employment. It is crap, as he has not done anything wrong.

Abacus

Juniors
Alot is also postcode hate. How dare people from poor backgrounds become good.

Even with May in the side the club is still growing its fanbase. To'o, Luai etc are popular with the kids.

I get that. While the board want the image changed is the only worry I have
I've seen this mentioned a few times and not sure I agree with it. The media has postcode hate? Maybe a misunderstanding/ignorance of the current generation coming through.

As a successful team we're going to get our share of negative articles - we're certainly not the media darlings. But I don't think it's because of where we live. The articles I've seen on our players and team during the year have been mainly positive.

The finals were a bit of a debacle media-wise with Bennett vs Ivan, then trainer-gate vs Parra. We rounded out by ruining the NRL fairytale of a Souffs premiership swiftly followed by May's post to really try to get people offside. If May had kept his post-match profile similar to that of his GF match performance, then the media would be over already.

Black Diamond

Juniors
Well good for you. I also know of someone, who is also stood down from his job, without pay.
Good for me? I haven't been stood down, I was just giving an example. You really don't like anyone having a different opinion than you do you, quite nasty actually about it at times.Your statement that in the real world people don't get paid when stood down is not correct in all sectors and organisations.

Settle down and allow adult conversations please.

I think Todd Carney got the Sharks for unfair dismissal a few years ago.

Just read up on it. It was an internal NRL appeals decision (because of the CBA), not a legal one. The NRL panel ruled because Carney wasn’t allowed to plead his case in front of the sharks board, he was denied a fair process. Carney eventually sued for the value of his contract, and settled for an undisclosed sum. It wasn’t included under the sharks salary cap.

Apparently he could’ve pursued unfair dismissal with the industrial relations commission, but it’s quite a slow process and the payouts aren’t very big.

Kilkenny

Coach
Numerous references to media agenda against the club and that it's unearned. May's post the morning after the GF was all the invitation the media needed to spin any bit of celebratory fun (e.g. Kikau) or accident (e.g. trophy).

I get your desire to see it called out - just seems as pointless as howling at the moon. Different strokes I guess.
Maybe we are on the same page, if reading things a little differently.

At the end of the day, it means nothing really, winners are grinners and the rest can please themselves.

The whole Tyrone May saga is rather sad given it detracts from what was a massive achievement on the part of our club.

Our GF win was not perhaps pretty, given it was achieved on the back of defence, grit and determination.

Anyway the media spin means nothing, we achieved our third premiership arguably our finest achievement given we did it the hard way.

Latest posts