What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyrone May

Iamback

Coach
It's not about pointing at other clubs dickheads, it's an objection relating to the level of control the media has over the game. It's a much bigger issue than whether May is "showing contrition" or whether we'll be able to land a better player at 14 next year. It's also a bigger problem than how it pertains to a Rugby League competition, albeit one that serves to trap most people in the fake political divide.

Still the best advice about all this crap was @Smug Panther's all those pages ago. Give them nothing. Don't click any links. Don't share any links. Don't buy any papers. Don't watch any programming other than game day. Encourage others to do as you do.

This is it. Take Canberra with their Dickheads off the field. If Ricky wasn't friends with Paul Kent and a few others in the media then it be blowing up deluxe and tbh I think Drink Driving isn't given the outrage it should.

That is the issue in the game. The NRL are too scared to make the tough decisions to not be the bad guys and leave it to the clubs to sort out

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I'm thinking he might get targeted in park football. The only good thing about media frenzy is it dies down quickly and moves onto something else.

Yeah I hear what you're saying. Frankly it's a mess.

If May is allowed to stay (with punishment) cause the NRL I fear will demand this. Is to take the what I call the 'Duchess of Cornwell' approach. Head down bum up for May. No social media, no-one showing him on other players social meda either.

No comment from anyone within the organisation, the don't explain, don't complain rationale. Do charity stuff without fan fare et al.

It has worked for her.. Would it work for May ?

ACTPanthers

Bench
It's not about pointing at other clubs dickheads, it's an objection relating to the level of control the media has over the game. It's a much bigger issue than whether May is "showing contrition" or whether we'll be able to land a better player at 14 next year. It's also a bigger problem than how it pertains to a Rugby League competition, albeit one that serves to trap most people in the fake political divide.

Still the best advice about all this crap was @Smug Panther's all those pages ago. Give them nothing. Don't click any links. Don't share any links. Don't buy any papers. Don't watch any programming other than game day. Encourage others to do as you do.
But people ARE pointing at other clubs dickheads and using that as a reason why May should be absolved. Media is media mate, it's never going to change. It's the calls of postcode hate and agendas against Penrith that I don't agree with (and find slightly annoying). I mean up until last season, it was a struggle to find anything about Penrith in the media. Now they apparently hate us and want to see us fall? I just don't buy it. Without May, there's no where near the amount of negative press.

Yes I agree with your second paragraph. @Smug Panther is a God among men ;)

Iamback

Coach
But people ARE pointing at other clubs dickheads and using that as a reason why May should be absolved. Media is media mate, it's never going to change. It's the calls of postcode hate and agendas against Penrith that I don't agree with (and find slightly annoying). I mean up until last season, it was a struggle to find anything about Penrith in the media. Now they apparently hate us and want to see us fall? I just don't buy it. Without May, there's no where near the amount of negative press.

Ch9 has a deal with a few Panthers so they appear regularly but when is the last time a Panthers player or coach appeared on NRL 360?

You only need to go back to the Gameday Thread leading up to the GF to get peoples thoughts on the media coverage at that stage. That was pre May's brain fart.

Does anyone here know a person who buys the DT or anything? Yet they still haven't died the cockroaches

ACTPanthers

Bench
Ch9 has a deal with a few Panthers so they appear regularly but when is the last time a Panthers player or coach appeared on NRL 360?

You only need to go back to the Gameday Thread leading up to the GF to get peoples thoughts on the media coverage at that stage. That was pre May's brain fart.

Does anyone here know a person who buys the DT or anything? Yet they still haven't died the cockroaches
But why do you care if there are Panthers players on NRL360 mate? From your posts I assume you don't watch it, so who cares?

Do you genuinely believe that the media are against us because of the post code?

Like I said, media is the media and they are NEVER going to change. Getting upset over things you have no control over will send you insane.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

When Kent was going full blast on NRL360 about Cleary senior and his 'lack of fan engagement pre Grand final. Kent dropped this gem. Ivan Cleary has declined when asked to come on NRL360......He's declined to be raked over the coals by Kent, Hooper and Rothfield, and frankly I don't blame him.

Personally I'd be more than happy with the club only dealing with Western Weekender. Never going to happen, but it's a lovely fantasy.

age.s

First Grade

I think the postcode hate is absolutely a factor. Of course the media didn't give a shit about us prior to last year, we were garbage, loveable losers, poor bogans who knew their place fighting for the scraps of their betters. Now that we're good and confident we're arrogant upstarts who celebrate too much after scoring tries. It's very obviously bullshit. What other club gets treated like that? Now whether the people writing these stories actually hold us in contempt or they're just playing to a stereotype/perception present in their readers is a different question, I tend to suspect the latter but who knows.

I think saying "the media is the media" is a bit like blaming other players dickheads for our problems too. If you agree they're that bad then what are we arguing about? They're filthy garbage and the only thing to do is lay the boot in and/or attempt to minimise their impact.

ACTPanthers

Bench
I think the postcode hate is absolutely a factor. Of course the media didn't give a shit about us prior to last year, we were garbage, loveable losers, poor bogans who knew their place fighting for the scraps of their betters. Now that we're good and confident we're arrogant upstarts who celebrate too much after scoring tries. It's very obviously bullshit. What other club gets treated like that? Now whether the people writing these stories actually hold us in contempt or they're just playing to a stereotype/perception present in their readers is a different question, I tend to suspect the latter but who knows.

I think saying "the media is the media" is a bit like blaming other players dickheads for our problems too. If you agree they're that bad then what are we arguing about? They're filthy garbage and the only thing to do is lay the boot in and/or attempt to minimise their impact.
Ok. I find that position strange. Not liking people because of their postcode? That's just weird to me. I don't remember any media hate for us in 91 and 03...

Sorry, I'm not saying that posters pointing to other teams is blaming them for our problems, I'm saying it's being used as a way to say that May should be blameless because other teams have dickheads.

Media are dicks, but I find it hard to believe there's some kind of agenda against just our team. What makes our team, out of the 16, the ones who the media hate? This is what I don't agree with. The media are merkins to everyone, not just those in Penrith.

Iamback

Coach
When Kent was going full blast on NRL360 about Cleary senior and his 'lack of fan engagement pre Grand final. Kent dropped this gem. Ivan Cleary has declined when asked to come on NRL360......He's declined to be raked over the coals by Kent, Hooper and Rothfield, and frankly I don't blame him.

Personally I'd be more than happy with the club only dealing with Western Weekender. Never going to happen, but it's a lovely fantasy.

I have no issue with it but lets not pretend every club gets the same treatment. It is who you are friends with in NRL. That includes the media and how they spin stories

Iamback

Coach
But why do you care if there are Panthers players on NRL360 mate? From your posts I assume you don't watch it, so who cares?

Do you genuinely believe that the media are against us because of the post code?

Like I said, media is the media and they are NEVER going to change. Getting upset over things you have no control over will send you insane.

I have oztag on but you see snippets on Fox sports etc. It is all about fairness really, Because of who you are mates with shouldn't give you puff pieces or taken easy on when you stuff up

ACTPanthers

Bench
I have oztag on but you see snippets on Fox sports etc. It is all about fairness really, Because of who you are mates with shouldn't give you puff pieces or taken easy on when you stuff up
No I do understand that point of view mate, I really do. But getting upset about it does nothing but raise your stress levels ;)

But anyway, enough about TMay, how good are you at Oztag brother?

Iamback

Coach
To a point. They do unfortunately depend on public opinion more than many industries. pplayerstake advantage of that exposure to make big $$ but need to be aware of the other side of that coin.

I will use the current Canberra issues. They have 2 guys face charges in the last week because there is no uproar on Social Media/Normal media. Does it make them any less of an offence?

Need to do each on merit not what gets the biggest outrage

WestyLife

First Grade
The last sentence was all you needed to say. It's all about "optics". Our game is owned and controlled by media interests, which mould public opinion to the point of determining our Government. Whatever is in their interests is in the game's interests. I hope the club realises what it's doing and why, and pays him out without him having to fight for it, and thereby creating a further media circus.

I honestly can't comment on that stuff and how it'd relate to May just due to ignorance on the topic.

I’m still stunned at how many people think this is simply about an Instagram post. May is being judged on his last two years, not a single post. All these things add up, at a certain point it becomes impossible to ignore someone’s constant stuff ups.

I will use the current Canberra issues. They have 2 guys face charges in the last week because there is no uproar on Social Media/Normal media. Does it make them any less of an offence?

Need to do each on merit not what gets the biggest outrage

I’ve seen countless posts on social media about the raiders poor culture.

But if they were a sydney team it would get even more notice.

Iamback

Coach
I’m still stunned at how many people think this is simply about an Instagram post. May is being judged on his last two years, not a single post. All these things add up, at a certain point it becomes impossible to ignore someone’s constant stuff ups.

He was re-signed while facing court.
He was then re-signed after the Tiktok ban

So yes it is just the instagram. The club clearly had no issue with the other incidents

Latest posts