What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Are we all missing something here with all the stories about the dragons the last few days. The investigation into the merger, a player who is on the up a potential signing elsewhere. What’s with the sensational headlines with us. The massive investigation by the telegraph should be about the McGregor years and how was he appointed and the WIN buyout should have ICAC knocking on the leagues club doors. I’m not sure why such headlines

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Same old story as so many other members have spoken about before. The clubs that actually bring the juniors through their systems - Jersey Flegg and onward to the C.Cup , until finally reaching the NRL are constantly targeted by other clubs and what is their reward ?

Nothing whatsoever , it’s bad enough to lose such promising juniors , but the clubs should be reimbursed , say a transfer fee .

I realize that would be going back to the 60’s & 70’s when transfer fees were par for course , however something needs to be done so as to stop the constant plundering of the struggling clubs juniors .

Only the NRL can remedy this situation, they need to take action to prevent this constantly occurring to the clubs that really take care of their youngsters .

The gap between the have and the have-nots is wide enough as it is without having this open wound festering .
Nicely said Gaz- the other way would be to offer clubs a staggered discount for locally produced players depending on their age at the start of their contracts. Offering a local junior a three year extension on their contract when they are 30 rather than 25 is obviously a lot more risky and the discount for a 30+ player should be much higher. Not that I have much sympathy for Souths-but I do for their supporters. To lose a local junior as important as Reynolds so that they could keep other important local juniors like Walker is a dilemma no club should be presented with.
We've been through similar situations in the past with the Morris twins- we might have kept Brett if such a system had been in place.

Dragon David

First Grade
It is only natural and obvious that the best spine combination is needed on the field. Just because we already have McCullough doesn't mean we use him. Just because we bought Mbye doesn't mean we use him either and so on. Hook has got to put on the best combination from Game 1 no favouritism to be given to any player.

How each player comes through the pre-season and the trials will be a big factor in Hook's decision making.

Hook has really got to determine who the starting 13 will be and who will be on the bench - the best players for the bench is essential.

The Warriors won't be easy beats in our first game. We only just beat them last season which I wish we didn't because by winning that game, they celebrated with the bbq at Vaughan's house resulting in us losing the next 8 games.

So, I'm looking forward to seeing who will be picked and hopefully our spine will be Sloan, Amone, Sullivan and Hunt.

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
Has anyone got access to the Daily Telegraph?

There are a few interesting articles up there about Saints which are behind a pay wall.

Cheers

BIG RIG

Juniors
Supposedly some uk media have reported that we are set to sign Gareth Widdop on a 1 year deal to play backup to Amone

I don’t know if there is any truth to it

blacksafake

First Grade
Supposedly some uk media have reported that we are set to sign Gareth Widdop on a 1 year deal to play backup to Amone

I don’t know if there is any truth to it
I can understand Hook not wanting to burn the youngsters out so early in their careers & managing them correctly is a priority but I can’t see the club signing Widdop.
Not sure he’d be happy playing reserves & wouldn’t the NRL have a minimum value on him? If so he wouldn’t be cheap.
Besides we have Mbye & Bird to fill in should Amone need a rest.

Gareth67

First Grade
So young Gareth is back in town eh ? You never know with Griffo , he is starting to remind me of my missus whenever there is a sale on .

Her hand just keeps going into her purse and buys , buys , buys whether she needs it or not , I think that Griffin may have that same nasty habit . 🤔

Last edited:

Dracarys

Juniors
Nah. It’s like leaving the Ferrari in the garage while puttering around in an old Austin Healey. One Pom’s enough.