What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

lucablight

First Grade
I think we will be good in 2022. No idea about 2023. Need to see the side.
I wouldn’t be too concerned yet. We do not want to put to much money into our spine and be useless everywhere else.

I would let Jnr walk after 2022. Start the rebuild. Does anyone remember back in the late nineties when Parra lost a heap of experienced guys and then all these young kids come from nowhere. I think we pushed the Broncos in the finals after finishing 7th or 8th.

Penrith lost far better players when they let DWZ,WAQA,RCG,Maloney,Tamou all go in recent times.
When Penrith lose good players they make a grand final and eventually win one. If we lost our good players chances are we’d struggle to advance if we made it to the finals and the apologists would be saying we lack finals experience. That’s how it seems to work with us.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Chammas reporting Bulldogs offered 650k over 4 years as opposed to. 550k over 3 years by the Eels. I don’t see the Bulldogs offer as unreasonable at all for a spine player who is only 23.
The figures reported in the media are designed to benefit the media.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Do you think the reported amount that the Bulldogs paid at 650k over 4 years for a 23 year old spine player is overs? Are we swimming in elite hookers to the point where it’s not a vital position for us to cover?
I don't believe any of the figures and I also don't think there are many elite dummy halves in the comp. Mahoney is top five and he's not elite. I think our pack makes him look good.

lucablight

First Grade
I don't believe any of the figures and I also don't think there are many elite dummy halves in the comp. Mahoney is top five and he's not elite. I think our pack makes him look good.
If you don’t believe the figures then you’re just blindly believing the Dogs blew our offer out of the water without any evidence to hold that position other than what you want to be true.

TheParraboy

Staff member
2022 tactics/goals:

Play Mahoney 80min every week - Free Chinese meal if he plays well as incentive

Make 3rd week of the finals

He goes to Dogs 2023 battered and injury prone when there, loses interest in the game

Brad Arthur in 2027 (yes he is still here) signs Mahoney on base contract, and only then Reed becomes the premier hooker in the game as we chase that elusive premiership, window open again.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pou, you keep wanting to have your cake and eat it too. We’re either a strong club with a lot of players on unders who we’ll lose because of our success or we don’t have many great players and should be able to keep this merely above average side together. You can’t have it both ways.
We lost by two to the premiers in an elimination final. We're not a top four team but easily top eight. If your only points on the continuum are premiers and shit then we're shit. Personally I see it as a lot more granular than that.

This year we were a 10% chance of winning the comp. Next year we're a 15%-20% chance. That might be as good as it gets for a club like ours, but plenty of teams have won premierships with only a 20% chance. You just need some luck in the day. Stay patient. The problem for our club is that since 1986 we've been a 0% chance of winning the comp most years. You're conflating our current strength with that, probably because you only see the premiers/shit binary. Do you look at each year's premiers in hindsight and think they were the only team that could've won it? If so you're wrong.

Last edited:

Noise

Coach
We have a good side for 2022.

We will have cap space for the following season to open up or cheque books
Has a team ever had 3 of its top 17 players sign with rivals over 12 months prior all at once? It could potentially be 4 with Paulo. They already have a foot out the door and some of them haven’t even begun pre season.

hindy111

Post Whore
Or Rheed gets a few injurys and fails to ignite The Dogs so Gus starts shopping him around after declaring "Rheeds going nowhere ". Not such a stretch I reckon.

If it wasn't for Corona Rheed would of also missed over 2 tha in 2020.
Not suggesting he is injury prone but in 3.5yrs he has had 2 quite serious ones.

I'd also batter him now for 80mins a game and no rest unless its a finals game and it may benefit us.

hindy111

Post Whore
Has a team ever had 3 of its top 17 players sign with rivals over 12 months prior all at once? It could potentially be 4 with Paulo. They already have a foot out the door. and some of them haven’t even begun pre season.

Penrith lost Capewell,Burton, Kikau,Momorski,May so that is 5.

Incorrect

Coach
In all seriousness, I have to spare a thought for the coach.... Unless he has made it known to the retention committee that he's not overly fussed in keeping Rheed and he was keen to bring in someone else soon (which I think is unlikely), I would imagine he would be seething that the team charged with keeping some of the building blocks of our future success have allowed it all to be pulled apart so quickly and easily...