What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Chipmunk

Coach
I really can't see why people would have an issue with Mahoney taking the Dogs deal. He'd be stupid to do any different.

A Daily Telegraph article this evening says he tossed and turned on it all last night...surely the only thing he was tossing and turning over was "Why do Parra feel I am only worth $500k? They even offered Papali'i more than that in the end!"

Mahoney has got a right to be filthy at the club as far as I am concerned. He's worth no less than what the Dogs have paid.

If the club didn't want to match the offer, then that is their choice, but they can't expect him to sign for what they offered either.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If it was the 650k over 4 years do you think it was overs? Should we really not offered something similar instead of losing a player and most likely having to replace him with a worse one?
I think $600k (or less) is low risk for the player, with the risk rising from there. And if we replace him with someone worse we will also be replacing him with someone cheaper, meaning we can put a stronger team around him. How much do you think the premiership winning hooker got paid this year?

I wouldn’t read to much into that tweet. In case you havent noticed, the guy who does all the tweeting on the Cumberland throw is a massive f**kwit and knows sweet f**k all.

Well, that's a mature summary of the situation. They might be a bit gungho, but blokes like Forty_20 (I don't know if he does the tweets) have had more constructive things to say than many.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
and another thing we have that grub ennis who played for the scumdogs helping out with that No 9 who is going to play for them How is that going to work
They are both getting paid to help us win games next year. That's what matters. 2023 is in the future.

Incorrect

Coach
If Rheed played for us in the finals this year, do we go further in the finals or same result?
2 days ago the answer was "f**king oath mate, if he was in the side we'd have won the comp, no doubt about it"

Since the announcement earlier today, the answer is "wouldn't have made f**k all difference. In fact, we'd have been lucky to beat the Knights in week 1 of the Finals"

Happy MEel

First Grade
Yay GIF by YoungerTV
I’m sure some of those savings will be disbursed to Bea Junior

King-Gutho94

Coach
If Rheed played for us in the finals this year, do we go further in the finals or same result?
We will never know but we might not have spent a 15 min period in that 2nd half against penrith defending our own try line off ray stone mistakes. So more opportunities we could have had attacking the try line.

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
In a way, I'm excited to see mahoneys style and involvement at the dogs. I'm sure the dopey bush coach has him stifled in attack.

Realising and accepting that we are stuck with bushy for life, I wish all the players leave eels for the dolphins so I can start supporting them.

eels_fan

First Grade
That's a little archaic...

It's a business, and players are independent contractors - why wouldn't they go to the highest bidder?

They only get 15 years - at most - to milk footy dry.

Why waste time earning less, when some desperate club will pay you stupid amounts of money?
I’m aware it’s archaic, but good culture and passion for your jersey makes moving to your current clubs bitter rivals harder.

if you look at the 120+ year history of Liverpool and Man Utd in the EPL, a competition where players transfer constantly and loyalty is extremely rare - only 8 players who played for Liverpool have ever then pulled on a United shirt, and of that only 5 of them were direct transfers from one club to another - the last one being 83 years ago. Why? Because the culture is if you’re a red, you hate Man U. It’s ingrained. Even for players who only spend a season or two at Liverpool.

eels_fan

First Grade
Why punt players just because they've signed elsewhere? All you'd be doing is a) making next year's team weaker (anw with less time to fix it than the 2023 team) and b) encourage other teams to try the same routine on us.

The bloke is allowed to decide to play for a different club. He'll get the Bronx cheer for a while, but his job is to play football, and there's no reason he can't do it well for us next year.
If a player we have developed, who came to us as nothing, would rather play for our most hated rivals for the same coin he can get from us - then his heart and mind are not with our club.

lucablight

First Grade
I think $600k (or less) is low risk for the player, with the risk rising from there. And if we replace him with someone worse we will also be replacing him with someone cheaper, meaning we can put a stronger team around him. How much do you think the premiership winning hooker got paid this year?
I have no idea how much Koroisau got paid but he was an origin standard player. I hope you’re right about having a stronger team in other areas with no Mahoney but that’s no guarantee.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If you don’t believe the figures then you’re just blindly believing the Dogs blew our offer out of the water without any evidence to hold that position other than what you want to be true.
Well why else would he choose the Dogs? To learn from Trent Barrett? Who do you think Kikau went there? Or JAC?