What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

lucablight

First Grade
Well when we were shit they joined us for money but now that we're on the rise they join us for opportunity to improve their game. Case in point is Papali'i.
You forgot Matterson. He’s gone from origin 18th man to…..oh wait. He’s also gone from rejecting his player option to putting himself on the open…..oh wait again. He was also a guaranteed selection in the team at business end of the season…..oh wait. What?

Bandwagon

Staff member
You’re not arguing in good faith. I never said our club is shit. I said most clubs that lose their rising stars due to salary cap pressure have players with recent grand final/origin appearances. Why don’t you refute the argument instead of creating that strawman?

If that post was meant as a comment on your post, and yours alone, I'd have quoted your post.

T-Boon

Coach
Mate if you don't think he was running the show and had his fingers on everything at all the clubs he was coaching or associated with you are delusional.
What are you talking about though? He didnt coach (or anything) between the Roosters and Panthers as far as I am aware. There was a 15 year gap.

You forgot Matterson. He’s gone from origin 18th man to…..oh wait. He’s also gone from rejecting his player option to putting himself on the open…..oh wait again. He was also a guaranteed selection in the team at business end of the season…..oh wait. What?

Never the same since Packer tiptoed over him.
He’s a cretin.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Has an official announcement been made in regards to Reed? If not, is there still a chance he isn't going and negotiations might be on going?
Yep. There's still a chance that we will fold and match the Bulldogs' stupid offer. The fans will be happy but it won't necessarily be a good thing that we keep him on overs. Same with Gutherson.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pou seems to think that "market value" isn't a thing for Parra, but any player that leaves Parra for a better contract must be going to a shit club.
No I'm saying that strong clubs like the Roosters and Storm pay less for players than weak clubs like the Bulldogs and Tigers. Where does Parra fit on that continuum? Somewhere in between. But we were once closer to the Bulldogs/Tigers (e.g. paying overs to take players from stronger clubs) and now are moving toward to Storm/Roosters end of the smarts continuum. Smart clubs let players go rather than matching stupid offers for them. Dumb clubs make huge signings in November to placate their fans and try and reshape the narrative that they're shit.

The Predictor

Juniors
Guys are seriously over rating these players.

Papali'i is our biggest loss. A machine and a heart of a lion.

Marata is not a dynamic second rower. And at prop he is hardly in the Jnr of RCG class.

If Kafusi steps up next season remembering he wasn't part of our best 17 then one of these guys role is filled.

We than have Greig and Hollis who both have the potential to take the other spot. Problem with people crying is they do not know what the coaching staff think of these two. They are watching them in gym and can see their power, fitness and strength. If they are matching the others BA will know he can give them their roles.

Hooker is harder to fill. But again Rheed is not a superstar. He is however very good. But he will always be small and his goal line defense will always be a weaker point. He also now has had a shoulder reco. I'm unsure how serious these are. But he has to pass the ball how many times a game and tackle 40+
💯!!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't feel like 650k is overs for a top 4 hooker
It's probably the upper limit of what Mahoney is worth, but we also don't know if that is the Bulldogs final offer, if if it even ever was their offer. It's a figure reported in the media. All it takes is for one person to pluck a figure and then everyone reports it (this is called circular reporting) and suddenly it's a 'fact'. But it's a fact that rests on the untested assumption that the initial figure reported was correct. We have no way of knowing and so it's stupid to pretend it's a fact.

Pazza

First Grade
It's probably the upper limit of what Mahoney is worth, but we also don't know if that is the Bulldogs final offer, if if it even ever was their offer. It's a figure reported in the media. All it takes is for one person to pluck a figure and then everyone reports it (this is called circular reporting) and suddenly it's a 'fact'. But it's a fact that rests on the untested assumption that the initial figure reported was correct. We have no way of knowing and so it's stupid to pretend it's a fact.

Yeah absolutely. In the world of rugby league media reports is all we got.

But let's assume 650k is the number for 4 years. If I'm in the eels hierarchy, I'm matching that offer. Now if the dogs go north of 750k I'm rethinking.

I like the clubs cap philosophy atm, finding Value cheapies, taking players off other clubs hands for a discount etc but I feel like they could have been more flexible this case. Reed imo is a very good young player and was really coming on before his injury.

If the reports are to be believed, dylan Brown is on 650k....... surely Reed is at that level.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I understand your argument of course, but it's not a matter of smart clubs and dumb clubs; it's more a matter of stages of development within the salary cap cycle. If the Tigers decided to play hard ball right now, and never pay overs for anyone, they would be stuck in their current rut forever. There is a time when almost every club has to pay overs for some players - otherwise they will have a team full of average players (which doesn't win you finals games in this day and age). Obviously East's and Melbourne are a bit different, but there are other factors that make it easier for them to stay in the positive part of the cap cycle almost indefinitely.
Of course, and when I say 'smart clubs' and 'dumb clubs' I'm really talking about strong and weak clubs. But for us, we are somewhere in between, and heading in one direction or the other. I believe we're at the point where it is smarter for us to behave like a strong club than like a weak club. That means not paying overs for players. We don't have to any more. I think our on field results prove that.

gaffer

Juniors
i see the latest reported to be hunted is D Brown were these media grubs reared in a parra hating household