What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

TheRam

Coach
This is what Manly wants.
screenshot-2021-02-26-at-1-09-39-pm-png.1135570

Nice little stadium, but I wish they would join the corners up properly. Makes it look and feel so much better as a proper stadium.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Must really cut you up that the Sharks received upgrade money Red. Along with the upgrade to Leichhardt maybe the penny will start to drop with you that the boutique grounds and the tribalism of the Sydney derby’s is what the punters want….not soulless empty mega stadiums.
Yeh if our ambition is 12k crowds lol. I’d rather see the money spent on new stadia that’s fit for 21st century and gives as many clubs as possible in Sydney quality venues for NRL for the next 40 years, not a bit of lipstick stuck on pigs, but that’s just me.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Yeh if our ambition is 12k crowds lol. I’d rather see the money spent on new stadia that’s fit for 21st century and gives as many clubs as possible in Sydney quality venues for NRL for the next 40 years, not a bit of lipstick stuck on pigs, but that’s just me.
Where is it stated the clubs ambition is to have crowds of 12K?

If you want people to take you seriously then think about the position Sydney clubs are in and actually factor in what is best for the club and what is actually achievable.

You have this “build it and they will come” mindset and it’s not realistic.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Where is it stated the clubs ambition is to have crowds of 12K?

If you want people to take you seriously then think about the position Sydney clubs are in and actually factor in what is best for the club and what is actually achievable.

You have this “build it and they will come” mindset and it’s not realistic.
Thats what will happen unless you give people a decent venue to enjoy the game at, and that needs new stadia. Its not just build it and they will come, its build it, have a great customer engagement strategy, price it right and deliver a great expereince and they will come.

yadamisha

Juniors
Thats what will happen unless you give people a decent venue to enjoy the game at, and that needs new stadia. Its not just build it and they will come, its build it, have a great customer engagement strategy, price it right and deliver a great expereince and they will come.
Don't need a full knock down and rebuild to do that, especially when it already has a reputation and sound basis of below:
"Shark park - Recognised in the independent EY Sweeney report (November 2015) for the NRL as offering the best atmosphere in the competition, the Stadium was also ranked best for value of food and beverage; number '1' for sense of occasion, and voted in the top three for pre-game and half-time entertainment."

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don't need a full knock down and rebuild to do that, especially when it already has a reputation and sound basis of below:
"Shark park - Recognised in the independent EY Sweeney report (November 2015) for the NRL as offering the best atmosphere in the competition, the Stadium was also ranked best for value of food and beverage; number '1' for sense of occasion, and voted in the top three for pre-game and half-time entertainment."
and the crowds that get drawn to this amazing experience each game? Thats same year with the club on the rise the crowd avg was under 12k. Proof of the pudding and all that....
Ive been to shark park lol If its 70's nostalgia you crave then yep it ticks all the boxes, unless its raining and you're not lucky enough to be one of the few with an undercover seat then its just sht. They'd be better not spending anything now and having a plan for a new stadia. Thats why it sucks that this $800mill plus isnt being better used. a roof wont make ANZ any better, bulldogs and tigers still have no decent home, sharks and dragons still dont have top class venues. After all the talk to only have 2 clubs come away with decent outcomes (and thats if Manly is a near total rebuild) seems a shame. I wonder what part the NRL is playing in decisions of where to spend it?

Ozzi_78

First Grade
You are missing the point from a member who actually attends shark park. I don’t want or need a bankwest type “boutique” stadium to enjoy the game day experience.

Nor does my extended family of around 15 paying members who all have young kids who enjoy the hill activities and freedom to spread out and play. Not a single person has ever said to me…. “I will be a member as soon as they put seats everywhere and cover me from the rain”.

They provide great engagement priced right and guess what it’s a great experience.

On this topic specifically at cronulla you are wrong so move your crosshairs elsewhere.

Iamback

Coach
You are missing the point from a member who actually attends shark park. I don’t want or need a bankwest type “boutique” stadium to enjoy the game day experience.

Nor does my extended family of around 15 paying members who all have young kids who enjoy the hill activities and freedom to spread out and play. Not a single person has ever said to me…. “I will be a member as soon as they put seats everywhere and cover me from the rain”.

They provide great engagement priced right and guess what it’s a great experience.

On this topic specifically at cronulla you are wrong so move your crosshairs elsewhere.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people out of state that think they know best

Perth Red

Post Whore

with all dues its not for you or your family, as you are happy to go regardless of quality of venue. But if you want to take your 12k people who are happy to go now and turn it into 20k in the future then you do need something that will attract those not currently willing to put up with shark parks amenities week in week out, new stadia have been shown to be able to do this (alongside other initiatives to leverage off the opportunity).

Iamback

Coach
with all dues its not for you or your family, as you are happy to go regardless of quality of venue. But if you want to take your 12k people who are happy to go now and turn it into 20k in the future then you do need something that will attract those not currently willing to put up with shark parks amenities week in week out, new stadia have been shown to be able to do this (alongside other initiatives to leverage off the opportunity).

And when Panthers crowds drop when they play at Parra? Let me guess you will still know best?

Ozzi_78

First Grade
I don’t know a single person that scoffs at going to the footy because of ageing grounds. Isnt Leichhardt packed each time?

I can guarantee you a 25K stadium at manly cronulla kogarah or Campbelltown would not increase avg attendance to 20k.

Again coming back to reality, spending 200m on shark park to give your perfect nrl world does not have the ROI, improving current state by fixing amenities and access is what is needed. Not a complete rebuild.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don’t know a single person that scoffs at going to the footy because of ageing grounds. Isnt Leichhardt packed each time?

I can guarantee you a 25K stadium at manly cronulla kogarah or Campbelltown would not increase avg attendance to 20k.

Again coming back to reality, spending 200m on shark park to give your perfect nrl world does not have the ROI, improving current state by fixing amenities and access is what is needed. Not a complete rebuild.
Are you saying you dont believe these clubs can ever achieve a 20k crowd Avg? That’s kind of sad for a game that claims to be the major sport in Sydney.

roi is very subjective when it comes to sports facilities and in pure financial terms makes no sense most of the time for using public funds!

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Are you saying you dont believe these clubs can ever achieve a 20k crowd Avg? That’s kind of sad for a game that claims to be the major sport in Sydney.

roi is very subjective when it comes to sports facilities and in pure financial terms makes no sense most of the time for using public funds!
Finally! That’s exactly what I’m saying. You do not understand Sydney at all. Building big stadiums will make very little difference to these suburban tribal clubs. Stop trying to force something that is not possible.