What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

John Hamblin

Juniors
A bit of a surprise but a year is a long time in RL. We now have a war chest.

Money talks, Kikau and Korisau are proof of that. Will be interesting to see who we end up poaching.
Ryley Smith is a talent but we also have Connor Mason another local junior who is held in high regard.

Smug Panther

First Grade
A bit of a surprise but a year is a long time in RL. We now have a war chest.

Money talks, Kikau and Korisau are proof of that. Will be interesting to see who we end up poaching.
We now need to see Staines at fullback to see if he's the one, if not we splash out on a fullback

murraymob

Coach
The retention committee had 3 target .so far two gone 1 left .there now no reason for Edwards to not be signed in the next few days
If they can’t do that then surely it’s time to change the members on the committee
Api signed for 650k a season that’s not overs for a origin hooker.kenny is not a 80 minute player.we need even a standard hooker to fill in or go into the market

DinkyDi

Juniors
The retention committee had 3 target .so far two gone 1 left .there now no reason for Edwards to not be signed in the next few days
If they can’t do that then surely it’s time to change the members on the committee
Api signed for 650k a season that’s not overs for a origin hooker.kenny is not a 80 minute player.we need even a standard hooker to fill in or go into the market
There is more to the story about Api's non retention that meets the eye. That is my opinion.

Pantherjim.

Referee
I am referring to his antics during origin, and his anti vaccination stance. These actions indicates that Api is not a team player.
Yeah, his credibility plummeted with me after sneaking girls into his room during Origin considering he’s married and I loathe anti-vaxers at the best of times.

mxlegend99

Referee
What some people are forgetting are these:

1. the spine, minus Api, will be together.
2. only six players, will be missing in 2023.
3. Api will be 30 at the conclusion of his contract
4. Our club is a development club.
5. Api, and Kiks, started of as rookies, and both turned out great.
6. Matt Cameron, Ivan Cleary, and co. knows what they are doing.
What many people seem to be missing is just how much difficulty we have had finding quality players in these positions. Especially centres and hooker.

I can see reason to be hopeful of a strong 2022 season. But the 2023 season however has a lot of holes to try filling from our premiership side.

1. Edwards
2. To'o
3. Crichton
6. Luai
7. Cleary
8. JFH
10. Leota
11. Martin
13. Yeo

15. Scott Sorensen
16. Spencer Leniu

Crichton moves to centre. Meaning we have to fill a wing and centre position. Staines is an option for one, but most people here think he's shit now. Not me personally, but if the haters are correct he's just another issue rather than a solution. Tiny May is another option... but he is an anti vaxer and makes it look like Tyrone was the smart one from that family. I think he's an issue, not a solution. Tago is a centre option... but many people are quick to point out he has barely played centre. So maybe he's a second row option... except many have pointed out he is very small for a second rower. I think he's too small for second row and hope he's a centre first up. But he could absolutely be a flop for all we know.,

Those positions from what we have are far from solved. There's possible solutions but even our own fan base are split on them all as to whether they can deliver for different reasons. Tago/Staines is IMO our best bet. But it's far from a certainty.

Hooker? Well this is the one I have no faith in us filling from within. Zero. I don't care how much talent it looks like our guys have. We have had so many guys that looked like future super stars at hooker flop spectacularly. Masada Iosefa (RIP) was looking like he had the makings of an elite hooker. Never kicked on. Wayde Egan looked like he was a future Cameron Smith, but he never really kicked on either. Sione Katoa... well I never thought he was a star as such but still looked like a promising candidate early on. But again. We just couldn't take an above average reserve grader and make a good first grader.

Hookers can make an entire team look better and a poor one can be such a handbrake the entire team can look worse. They improve the forward packs, they make the halves jobs easier. They do so much work that is crucial to how teams play. Equally as important, possibly moreso than a good #7.

Second row I think we can comfortably make solid first graders. But finding someone who offers what we lost will again be tough. Viliame Kikau is an absolute beast and he made the job of those around him easier whether he was playing well or not. He scared defensive lines and they didn't want to take their focus off him. Capewell we can probably find someone to replace, but doing so at the quality he delivered will be tough.

I think we will go from premiers, to fringe top 4 in 2022 to 6th to 8th in 2023. With Kiks and Api we are still a top 4 team if we stay healthy in 2022. But in 2023 I think we are back to the middle of the table. Even with the best halfback in the game.

DinkyDi

Juniors
What many people seem to be missing is just how much difficulty we have had finding quality players in these positions. Especially centres and hooker.

I can see reason to be hopeful of a strong 2022 season. But the 2023 season however has a lot of holes to try filling from our premiership side.

1. Edwards
2. To'o
3. Crichton
6. Luai
7. Cleary
8. JFH
10. Leota
11. Martin
13. Yeo

15. Scott Sorensen
16. Spencer Leniu

Crichton moves to centre. Meaning we have to fill a wing and centre position. Staines is an option for one, but most people here think he's shit now. Not me personally, but if the haters are correct he's just another issue rather than a solution. Tiny May is another option... but he is an anti vaxer and makes it look like Tyrone was the smart one from that family. I think he's an issue, not a solution. Tago is a centre option... but many people are quick to point out he has barely played centre. So maybe he's a second row option... except many have pointed out he is very small for a second rower. I think he's too small for second row and hope he's a centre first up. But he could absolutely be a flop for all we know.,

Those positions from what we have are far from solved. There's possible solutions but even our own fan base are split on them all as to whether they can deliver for different reasons. Tago/Staines is IMO our best bet. But it's far from a certainty.

Hooker? Well this is the one I have no faith in us filling from within. Zero. I don't care how much talent it looks like our guys have. We have had so many guys that looked like future super stars at hooker flop spectacularly. Masada Iosefa (RIP) was looking like he had the makings of an elite hooker. Never kicked on. Wayde Egan looked like he was a future Cameron Smith, but he never really kicked on either. Sione Katoa... well I never thought he was a star as such but still looked like a promising candidate early on. But again. We just couldn't take an above average reserve grader and make a good first grader.

Hookers can make an entire team look better and a poor one can be such a handbrake the entire team can look worse. They improve the forward packs, they make the halves jobs easier. They do so much work that is crucial to how teams play. Equally as important, possibly moreso than a good #7.

Second row I think we can comfortably make solid first graders. But finding someone who offers what we lost will again be tough. Viliame Kikau is an absolute beast and he made the job of those around him easier whether he was playing well or not. He scared defensive lines and they didn't want to take their focus off him. Capewell we can probably find someone to replace, but doing so at the quality he delivered will be tough.

I think we will go from premiers, to fringe top 4 in 2022 to 6th to 8th in 2023. With Kiks and Api we are still a top 4 team if we stay healthy in 2022. But in 2023 I think we are back to the middle of the table. Even with the best halfback in the game.
The difference is the coach.

Iamback

Coach

1. Edwards
2. To'o
3. Crichton
6. Luai
7. Cleary
8. JFH
10. Leota
11. Martin
13. Yeo

15. Scott Sorensen
16. Spencer Leniu

$1.2m is a decent slab of cash to still have. I want to see the full 2023 squad before making a prediction

Iamback

Coach

The fact Api's manager kept leaking to the media wasn't a good sign
Throw in the anti vax and his age and the $200k pay rise seems overs

mxlegend99

Referee
The difference is the coach.
Ivan was our coach in 2019. Hooker was an issue for him until we signed Api. Katoa. Egan. Kenny. All just different styles of fringe first grade hooker.

When he coached us the first time around our most successful season was on the back of having another import hooker in great form too. Segeyaro.

I won't be holding my breath on us developing a premiership quality 9. I've seen too many players I was convinced were the next big thing barely be anything more than occasionally solid first graders. Under many different coaches.

All our success at 9 comes from importing them at just the right time. Guyss like Priddis, Aiton, Kingston, Segeyaro, Api etc.

Wallace is the only real exception. But his journey to be a decent 9 was pretty unusual.

Fangs

Coach
We now need to see Staines at fullback to see if he's the one, if not we splash out on a fullback

Its used to be one or the other but I'm not sure anymore. Its a very different team now.

Its probably moreso the fullback. Especially because we are losing Kikau which isn't going to help Luai. Plus we have just lost Burton who was part of that edge.

Pantherjim.

Referee

1. Edwards
2. To'o
3. Crichton
6. Luai
7. Cleary
8. JFH
10. Leota
11. Martin
13. Yeo

15. Scott Sorensen
16. Spencer Leniu

Personally, I’m not worried.

2023 is a whole season away.

With Api and Kik’s departures we would’ve freed up a shitload of cap space and developed more local juniors into first grade standard, so there will be options.

mxlegend99

Referee
The fact Api's manager kept leaking to the media wasn't a good sign
Throw in the anti vax and his age and the $200k pay rise seems overs
He was underpaid with us.

$650k is not overs for a guy who has won 2x premierships at 9 and was currently one of the best if not THE best players in the most important position on the field.

That's just absurd. His age is being blown out of proportion too. He was currently the best hooker in the game in career best form. He would be 33 at the END of his contract and hasn't had a career full of injuries or anything to increase chances he can't maintain his form.

If we applied this thinking to other players Isaah Yeo only has 2 or 3 more seasons left before we can toss him on the scrap heap

BossleyPanther

Juniors
Makes you wonder what happened last Wednesday at the meeting. If the rumours are true about the board telling Api he will be fined for the games he misses, how would you feel about your employer? The NRL was already going to compensate for clubs with unvax players

Pantherjim.

Referee
Makes you wonder what happened last Wednesday at the meeting. If the rumours are true about the board telling Api he will be fined for the games he misses, how would you feel about your employer? The NRL was already going to compensate for clubs with unvax players

I have no sympathy for him or any anti-vaxer. It should be “no jab, no play”.

The AFL have already mandated the Covid-19 vax for their players and the NRL should be no different.

Kudos to the Bulldogs for mandating the jab for their players