What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Eelementary

Post Whore
This is all fine and good. But a club has to earmark the players that they really want/need to keep. In my humble (and maybe not so knowledgeable) opinion,
Mahoney was one of those players. And, really, I think Parramatta will regret letting go Marata and Papalii. To me it looks more like the club was caught unawares, rather than displaying any judicious managing of the cap.

Admittedly, the Mahoney debacle came a bit out of left field.

But Niukore's style of play isn't all that hard to replace.

And Papali'i had a great season, and he is young - but he was quite average before joining us, and so at this point in time, the question is whether Isaiah's 2021 form is his new normal, or an outlier?

Time will tell.

The fact of the matter is that Mahoney, and Papali'i, were offered big deals; had we matched them, I think it is reasonable to assume that their respective bidders would have increased their offers to them again, meaning we would have lost them anyway.

And had we matched the offers, and suddenly seen their suitors pull out of the race, we would have kept them, at inflated salaries.

I completely understand people's feelings about losing Mahoney, Papali'i, and Niukore; it's very frustrating, and - without any context - amateurish.

But there is a plan in place - I don't know what it is, but I am confident that the people who are paid to know these things know what they are doing.

emjaycee

Coach
This is some Suity/Pharty level shit
gIZv6.gif
No way is it at that level...yet.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Admittedly, the Mahoney debacle came a bit out of left field.

But Niukore's style of play isn't all that hard to replace.

And Papali'i had a great season, and he is young - but he was quite average before joining us, and so at this point in time, the question is whether Isaiah's 2021 form is his new normal, or an outlier?

Time will tell.

The fact of the matter is that Mahoney, and Papali'i, were offered big deals; had we matched them, I think it is reasonable to assume that their respective bidders would have increased their offers to them again, meaning we would have lost them anyway.

And had we matched the offers, and suddenly seen their suitors pull out of the race, we would have kept them, at inflated salaries.

I completely understand people's feelings about losing Mahoney, Papali'i, and Niukore; it's very frustrating, and - without any context - amateurish.

But there is a plan in place - I don't know what it is, but I am confident that the people who are paid to know these things know what they are doing.
As long as there is a plan in place, that’s good to hear.

Stevie

Bench
Just spoke to a friend of mine who is staff at Parra. Their comments to me were Reed was never staying. Never! It wasn’t about the money at all, he wanted to go.
They also said they are near certain Junior WILL stay.
Lastly and the first I’ve heard of it but we are closely looking at Tariq Sims. Seems odd to me but just reporting it. For 2022.
Those who know me know I have no agenda, just passing on what I heard. This person is in staff.

King-Gutho94

Coach
would u have a crack at luke thompson ?
Probably not

Our last 3 english players we have signed in my lifetime were Chris Thorman and Lee mossop and that worked out well both only lasted 12 months and played SFA.

And the other Gareth Hock didnt make it on the plane.

So best stay away from the pommies

King-Gutho94

Coach
Just spoke to a friend of mine who is staff at Parra. Their comments to me were Reed was never staying. Never! It wasn’t about the money at all, he wanted to go.
Lastly and the first I’ve heard of it but we are closely looking at Tariq Sims. Seems odd to me but just reporting it. For 2022.
Those who know me know I have no agenda, just passing on what I heard. This person is in staff.
Tariq sims will want at least the money tigers offered papali'i and he is 32 in february.

I would pass on tariq personally.

Otherwise what was the point of letting a 23 year old in papa go about to hit his prime

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Merkins on here all thought by re-signing/extending BA we would be able to re-sign most of our off contract players. Besides RCG, Gutho might be the only one we re-sign and he was the one most of us were happy to f**k off.
There's plenty of off contract players yet to decide their futures. The three we've lost were in a massive hurry compared to the majority of players off contract for 2023. Maybe they were desperate to get away from Brad Arthur's. Or maybe they were super enthused about playing for Barrett, Maguire and Nathan Brown.

Or maybe it's all about the money for some players.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Having this many quality players off contract at the same time with a new club in the market has been a massive mistake. Was it unavoidable??? who knows

If Jnr goes as well ill dare say this will be the worst off season in my 20 years support the club.
But they're not leaving this off season, they're leaving at the end of 2022. Who knows who our most exciting players will be by then. We have a lot of cap space still free for 2023. I'm excited about the kids we'll be bringing into the 2023 squad. We will see plenty of them in action next year, including at other clubs.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah that’s what makes losing Papali’i and Mahoney sting so much. I thought they could become part of a nucleus we could build the team around.
That's because you're only seeing their performances on the field, not their influence off it. That's what the nucleus is about. Club culture.

Pazza

First Grade
But they're not leaving this off season, they're leaving at the end of 2022. Who knows who our most exciting players will be by then. We have a lot of cap space still free for 2023. I'm excited about the kids we'll be bringing into the 2023 squad. We will see plenty of them in action next year, including at other clubs.

Im glad you can see the positives to this situation. But you have to admit, losing jnr along with that others has the potential to be catastrophic

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Penrith have back to back grand finals and a premiership to show for it. No wonder they aren't slitting their wrists. We have multiple week 2 exits, a spoon and a good chunk of our roster walking out the door.
They were in the same position as us five years ago and were letting plenty of good players go.

lucablight

First Grade
We already have plenty of good players, and will develop plenty more. That's why we don't have to worry when they come off contract and won't stay for unders.
All successful sides have a nucleus they build the side around. Who do you think ours is? I’d say Moses and Gutherson and that’s it.

lucablight

First Grade
Were you told why he wanted to leave?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Storm were offering B.Smith to the tigers for Stefano

we should send papali’i to Melbourne and pick up B.smith for the year
Melbourne aren't the type of club that thinks short term. The Tigers are, which is why the Storm thought they could pinch a player by offering a better one for a single year.