What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I never really believed the aussies hate djokovic thing. I have Mediterranean Descendant (not serb) inlaws and they love him and too believe aussies hate him. I always thought it was more that they just loved federer and djoko was a threat to him.

But i realise it IS a thing. And i think it probably IS a bit because he is a serb. Serbs got heavily tarnished in australia during the balkan wars - mostly cos the yanks decided they were the baddies (there were baddies on all sides) and australia just follow the yanks like little lambs.

I also used to think most of it was cos djoko was soft at several aussie opens early in his career, retiring from games. And aussies just dont like that.

But i think at the moment its the whole unvaxed thing. There is incredible hate over it. People are looking for people to hate. And i think vaxed people are struggling to accept they are spreading it like wildfire and are just as much a risk to the country's health as djoko is.
Agree that the hate towards the unvaxxed is far greater than that of any nation right now.

strider

Post Whore
Seems theres legal people having a hearing about it right now.
They just said they agree to not remove him until they have looked at it. Sunday morning gonna do something

Suitman

Post Whore
It's going to look pretty silly next AO when the covid hysteria is gone and the greatest player of all time isn't allowed to enter the country.
Why?
The merkin provided false information on his visa application.
I don't give shit how many AO's he has won. He should be treated like any other person who is trying to enter our country.

He has got what he deserved.
And my opinion has absolutely nothing to do with the fact he is Serbian.
The guy is a f**kwit.

Why?
The merkin provided false information on his visa application.
I don't give shit how many AO's he has won. He should be treated like any other person who is trying to enter our country.

He has got what he deserved.
And my opinion has absolutely nothing to do with the fact he is Serbian.
The guy is a f**kwit.
You don't get a three year ban for providing false information, or ticking the wrong box. You get it because people are so worked up about covid that a minister overrules the law to appease people and win political points.

strider

Post Whore
It seems all the shenanigans around tests and box ticking are not part of the reason he is being given the arse.

That’s all for tonight​

That’s it from us on the live blog tonight after a massive day.
To re-cap, Immigration Minister Alex Hawke cancelled Novak Djokovic’s visa once again, citing health and good order grounds, on the basis it was in the public interest, in a statement just before 6pm.
Djokovic’s lawyers are challenging the decision, telling the Federal Circuit Court this evening the basis of the cancellation was irrational.
The court heard Mr Hawke cancelled the tennis player’s visa on the grounds his presence in Melbourne would “excite anti-vax sentiment”, as Djokovic’s lawyer Nicholas Wood, SC, told the court.
Mr Wood said removing the Serbian tennis star would do exactly the same thing.
Also from tonight’s hearing, we learned Djokovic is not in immigration detention yet, but rather a “residential address”. He will be taken into detention after he is interviewed tomorrow morning at 8am.
The government has given an undertaking that it would not remove Djokovic from the country while the court challenge is afoot.
Djokovic’s lawyers will file a formal application to the court tonight and submissions tomorrow by midday.
The case will be transferred to the Federal Court, which will hold a hearing on Sunday at 10am.
Thanks for reading, and we’ll bring you all the developments over the weekend.

Avenger

Immortal
Go do some research you f**king idiot. It's not about ticking a box. It's about risk as I said all along. To the community.

Djokovic team previews its argument

In a lengthy exchange with Judge Kelly, Mr Wood revealed the core of the argument he intended to make on Djokovic’s behalf to contest the Minister’s decision.

He argued the reasons set out by Mr Hawke in support of his decision stood “in stark contrast” to those given by the Border Force officials for cancelling Djokovic’s visa on January 6.

Mr Wood said that initial cancellation was due to the prospect of Djokovic “infecting other people because he’s not vaccinated”.

“The present set of reasons is starkly different,” said Mr Wood.

“What the minister does is, in substance, to assume in Mr Djokovic’s favour every fact that might have been a factor previously.”

He said that, according to Mr Hawke’s reasoning, Djokovic “complied with the law” in all respects, posed “only a negligible risk to others”, was a person “of good standing”, and had a valid “medical reason for not being vaccinated”.

Mr Wood ridiculed Mr Hawke for, in his view, worrying that Djokovic’s presence at the Australian Open could inflame anti-vaxxer sentiment without considering the inflammatory effect deporting him might have.

“The Minister was making a binary decision. If he did not cancel Mr Djokovic’s visa, then Mr Djokovic stays in Melbourne, plays in the Australian Open,” he said.

“The binary alternative is that the Minister cancels Mr Djokovic’s visa. That leads to the forcible, mandatory removal of this man of good standing who has complied with law, who poses a negligible risk to the community.

“The Minister only considers the potential for exciting anti-vax sentiment in the event that he’s present.

“The Minister gives no consideration whatsoever to what effect (removing Djokovic) may have on anti-vax sentiment and indeed on public order.

“That seems patently irrational.”

Avenger

Immortal
It seems all the shenanigans around tests and box ticking are not part of the reason he is being given the arse.

IT'S ABOUT RISK TO THE COMMUNITY NOTHING ELSE WHICH IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING ALL WEEK. WHAT RISK CAN HE POSSIBLY POSE? REASONABLE RISK, NOT RHETORIC.

PS I'm not picking on you Strides, I'm highlighting your acknowledgment of the main issue.

Avenger

Immortal
The Minister only considered the potential for anti vacc sentiment if he stays not if he leaves. So what's the difference? Being nasty to one man and making an example of him.

f**k me.

Avenger

Immortal
We are over 90% vaccinated. There is no coordinated anti vaccination movement. And even if there was Djoković was not a role model for them until now. The Government made it like that, through their idiocy no matter what happens in court over the weekend!

Morons!!!

Suitman

Post Whore
Go do some research you f**king idiot.
Why the name calling?
Calm down man. You win yourself no favours by being so abusive.

Yes, it may well be about the risk, now, or lack thereof, but it should never have come to this. That was the govt's doing and yes, they have f**ked this up.
But Novak did himself a disservice by admitting errors, while trying to blame others for errors, with his visa application.
This whole saga should have relied on the technicalities, not the emotion, political grandstanding and media pressure.
He provided untrue information on his visa application.
That, in itself is enough for it to be rejected.
Your everyday Joe Blogg would be sent home all the time for the same reason.
Why should Novak be treated any differently?

Latest posts