What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I'm a pube now lad I don't worry about that stuff 😋

But seriously for the ones I've had I'd say pretty spot on? I think it's pretty cluey going for the varietals - if you were getting into $25 shiraz territory then you're walking into some huge punching labels, but there's not an awful lot of $25 Aussie Aglianico around.

I guess if I was taking that angle I'd try the Mataro next. I might do that if I remember 😂 $25 is getting towards some good company, although the old Dog Strangler is in the mid-30s these days I think (and hard to find)

Good feedback, thank you.

Yes, the varieties and packaging was all designed to support the $25 and the fact that fruit from the Riverland for those varieties is much more expensive than you'd think (think $1000 ton, which is less than dry regions but still pricey).

Dog Stranger is one of my all time favourite mataro's. Teusner is king of the grape.

YoHadrian

Juniors
Me & the missus like Coal Pit Pinot Noir from Central Otago, the price has climbed steadily over the past few years from thirty something to almost 50 dollars now. I'm sorry I can't talk wine language I just like the taste. Highly recommended.

Bazal

Post Whore
Me & the missus like Coal Pit Pinot Noir from Central Otago, the price has climbed steadily over the past few years from thirty something to almost 50 dollars now. I'm sorry I can't talk wine language I just like the taste. Highly recommended.

One of my faves from back in the day. It used to be a Coles exclusive, which kept the price low. Unser if it still is but NZ pinot in general has gone up too.

If you like that one, give this a crack if you haven't already. I just googled it and found it's on sale at VC so I'll be heading to Manuka this weekend for a bottle or two...

https://www.vintagecellars.com.au/red-wine/peregrine-otago-pinot-noir-750ml_5665237

horrie hastings

First Grade

That's a blast from the past, used to be a Cole's exclusive when they used to have some really interesting wines that would excite and interest you instead of the mostly crap they spin off now.

_Johnsy

Referee
NZ have some belters (Pinot Noir). In my humble opinion TAS & NZ STH Island Pinot’s usually a great starting point. My all time favourite Pinot Noir that I have had is Muddy Water Pinot Noir (just north of Christchurch outside Waipara), their Pinotage was a delight to devour.

I haven’t seen the Coal Pit, I’ll keep an eye out.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
NZ have some belters (Pinot Noir). In my humble opinion TAS & NZ STH Island Pinot’s usually a great starting point. My all time favourite Pinot Noir that I have had is Muddy Water Pinot Noir (just north of Christchurch outside Waipara), their Pinotage was a delight to devour.

I haven’t seen the Coal Pit, I’ll keep an eye out.

It was a Liqourland exclusive but the Chalkboard Pinot Noir from Central Otago was a cracker for a cheap to mid priced Pinot Noir,, it had all the characteristics of cherry and spice but a real nice light finish, it was a drink now wine and wouldn't have been out of place up against some of the more expensive pinots, Liqourland cleared it out for $5 in the end which was a steal , i think Vintage Cellars may still stock it but not sure what vintage they would have. Think it originally retailed at Liqourland between $14-$20 but was often on special for $10 before they bombed it out for $5.

Bazal

Post Whore
It was a Liqourland exclusive but the Chalkboard Pinot Noir from Central Otago was a cracker for a cheap to mid priced Pinot Noir,, it had all the characteristics of cherry and spice but a real nice light finish, it was a drink now wine and wouldn't have been out of place up against some of the more expensive pinots, Liqourland cleared it out for $5 in the end which was a steal , i think Vintage Cellars may still stock it but not sure what vintage they would have. Think it originally retailed at Liqourland between $14-$20 but was often on special for $10 before they bombed it out for $5.

Made by Peregrine.

Great value. VC still had it last time I went but that was also last year, cos there's only one in Canberra. Sub-20 bucks, great value

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Theory Of Evolution reds are being cleared out at Liqourland for $5 , they include the Shiraz, Malbec Tempranillo, Grenache and Pinot Noir

4th Waves first foray into CLG. Interesting that it didn't work, especially for the varieties they put forward.

Yet they told me there was better value than the Prometheus Wines when we submitted...

horrie hastings

First Grade
4th Waves first foray into CLG. Interesting that it didn't work, especially for the varieties they put forward.

Yet they told me there was better value than the Prometheus Wines when we submitted...

I notice on the on line site for Liqourland they still have them for $18. They were solid movers for our store, it was still letting me order stock for the store when i did the order on Sunday all bar the Malbec, will grab a Grenache to try if they do come in.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I notice on the on line site for Liqourland they still have them for $18. They were solid movers for our store, it was still letting me order stock for the store when i did the order on Sunday all bar the Malbec, will grab a Grenache to try if they do come in.

Strange. Fourth Wave rarely get it wrong. Those varieties are all on trend.

The wines will be good and clean. I don't find many of them very complex but they're easy to enjoy and smashable. Their Little Giant stuff is good; the small batch range is lovely.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Strange. Fourth Wave rarely get it wrong. Those varieties are all on trend.

The wines will be good and clean. I don't find many of them very complex but they're easy to enjoy and smashable. Their Little Giant stuff is good; the small batch range is lovely.

During lock down one of our local pubs were doing a date night pack which had roasted lamb shoulder , quite a few sides and a bottle of red for $50, for that price i wasn't expecting much of the wine but it was the Little Giant shiraz and it was perfect with the food it went with, the actual food was enough to feed 3 people, at a stretch maybe 4 so it was great value especially with the Little Giant shiraz.

With the Fourth Wave range we still have Love Not War range, Children of the Revolution, Maretti chianti, La Noblesse Pinot Noir, Le Chat Noir rose, Elefante Temp/Shiraz, Bertaine rose, Bumblebee, Hello ,The Hero of Zero and Plus & Minus . Think that covers what we stock from Fourth Wave

Drew-Sta

Staff member
During lock down one of our local pubs were doing a date night pack which had roasted lamb shoulder , quite a few sides and a bottle of red for $50, for that price i wasn't expecting much of the wine but it was the Little Giant shiraz and it was perfect with the food it went with, the actual food was enough to feed 3 people, at a stretch maybe 4 so it was great value especially with the Little Giant shiraz.

With the Fourth Wave range we still have Love Not War range, Children of the Revolution, Maretti chianti, La Noblesse Pinot Noir, Le Chat Noir rose, Elefante Temp/Shiraz, Bertaine rose, Bumblebee, Hello ,The Hero of Zero and Plus & Minus . Think that covers what we stock from Fourth Wave
Yeah, right. I didn't realise they were so prolific in Coles already.

The La Noblesse Cab Franc is great if you can find it. The Maretti Chianti and all the Maretti is great gear too.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yeah, right. I didn't realise they were so prolific in Coles already.

The La Noblesse Cab Franc is great if you can find it. The Maretti Chianti and all the Maretti is great gear too.

Yes i was surprised by the amount of their products we had, thought we only had one or two but the list kept growing the more i looked.

Bazal

Post Whore
Had the Prometheus Mataro the other week and wrote up a proper thing, but the laptop crashed and it vanished. Annoying.

Anyway it was the first one I can't say I immediately liked. It wasn't a bad wine, I just found I picked up a lot of really green notes that didn't gel with my expectations of Mataro. It almost felt like a whole bunch pinot in a weird way.

I think I gave it 86 or something. I liked all the flavours but felt like they didn't mesh. Plus I just couldn't get my head around it, but I'd be interested in giving it another go with my expectations set.

Opened the Barbera tonight. Keen to see how that goes

Bazal

Post Whore
Promethues Barbera

I love Barbera, to the point that I reckon it's the fourth of the three great Italian grapes. I'd argue it's greater than Aglianico, given its' reach?

Anyway. Good colour, pure and clear. Not a particularly expressive nose but that's alright. And not necessarily unexpected. There's a bit of red fruit there, some dried herbs, a lick of pepper and maybe a little tar. Pleasant.

It's more expressive on the palate. Bright, vibrant. Medium body. Morello cherry, dried oregano and peppercorn, a little mushroomy earth and cured meat. But not heavily cured, maybe like a capocollo. Really crunchy, tight acid finish makes it stupidly drinkable for my palate.

I like. 91 for me.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Had the Prometheus Mataro the other week and wrote up a proper thing, but the laptop crashed and it vanished. Annoying.

Anyway it was the first one I can't say I immediately liked. It wasn't a bad wine, I just found I picked up a lot of really green notes that didn't gel with my expectations of Mataro. It almost felt like a whole bunch pinot in a weird way.

I think I gave it 86 or something. I liked all the flavours but felt like they didn't mesh. Plus I just couldn't get my head around it, but I'd be interested in giving it another go with my expectations set.

Opened the Barbera tonight. Keen to see how that goes

Its the weakest of the reds IMHO, and sadly. I'm a Mataro fiend, and it never quite hit the mark. It's more Gamay-ish but without the fruit forwardness.

Promethues Barbera

I love Barbera, to the point that I reckon it's the fourth of the three great Italian grapes. I'd argue it's greater than Aglianico, given its' reach?

Anyway. Good colour, pure and clear. Not a particularly expressive nose but that's alright. And not necessarily unexpected. There's a bit of red fruit there, some dried herbs, a lick of pepper and maybe a little tar. Pleasant.

It's more expressive on the palate. Bright, vibrant. Medium body. Morello cherry, dried oregano and peppercorn, a little mushroomy earth and cured meat. But not heavily cured, maybe like a capocollo. Really crunchy, tight acid finish makes it stupidly drinkable for my palate.

I like. 91 for me.

Yeah, a fantastic pizza wine that one.

Having the rest of the Tinta Barocca tonight. Had a glass last night and I enjoyed it, but crashed out soon after. Lets see how it plays after 24 hours breathing.

Let me know your thoughts :)

Its the weakest of the reds IMHO, and sadly. I'm a Mataro fiend, and it never quite hit the mark. It's more Gamay-ish but without the fruit forwardness.

Yeah, a fantastic pizza wine that one.

Let me know your thoughts :)
The Tinta Barroca I found rather thin, but my experience with that varietal is limited to say the least. It's what I imagine Australian Merlot drinkers tell me they think they are drinking since this had some flavour.

I am looking forward to trying more of the wine. I know you've mentioned it before, but work on the artwork: that cherub clashes badly with the label & wine.

Mong

Post Whore
Finally moving into the house we have been building for the last 12 months and looking in the wine fridge I've narrowed it down to 2 with which to celebrate with Saturday afternoon I think. Either a 2006 St Henri Shiraz or a 2014 St Hallett Old Block Shiraz. I'm thinking the St Hallett may need more time. Anyone had either of these and can comment?

There is also a 2012 Hardys Thomas Hardy Cab Sauv that may be coming up on drinking age.

Latest posts