What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hook’s Days Numbered?

carltonsouth79

First Grade
So we are here again it seems. Appointing home grown coaches didn’t work; Price, Mary, Young, none bought success. Hook seemed a good option at the time- experienced and with a record of putting in structures to develop and promote youth pathways such as at Penrith and the Donkeys. From what I’ve read he has bought in the youth development structures but the first grade results are no better or perhaps even worse. Tried a change in moving Elliot after last year and recruiting forward depth, but no growth.With all that I think we will beat the Knights and Tigers and he will hang on but I don’t see him as the best option going forward.
Not sure about Flano; didn’t seem to have an impact assisting Mary and his premiership win I think clouded with salary cap and performance drug issues.
Ciraldo seems highly touted but other than that who is out there? Do we look to England?

justadragon

Bench
as far as I'm concerned Flanno was on the open market and couldnt get a gig somewhere even as AC, what is that telling us, and performances were not good when he was helping Mary,,we cant just say he's the only one left so go with hm, it might turn out even worse than Hook

Coffs dragon

Bench
ok, so Flanno aside who would the club target ????
As I said previously, they should target Kristian Woolf from St. Helens. He’s coached Tonga to be a powerhouse and has won 2 championships in the UK for St.Helens.
An Aussie boy that has completed a wonderful and successful apprenticeship outside the sheltered workshop.
Failing that….I’d seriously consider Ciraldo or Josh Hannay from the Sharks….he has their attack humming!

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Hey Denis….Hook has a total of 10 rep players in his squad with Origin experience!
Says even more about his lack of ability & underperformance these days.
True, but realistically baring injury he has one possible Origin level player - Hunt, who’d be considered and he’s probably a bench chance at best behind DCE and Grant. The rest are or have been chosen only when there are mad injuries; as well as he did last series Simms was about fourth or fifth option.

mxlegend99

Referee
Hook had stacked rosters and junior bases at Broncos and Panthers that gave the impression looking purely at his win rate that he knew what he was doing.

His record against top 4 teams was terrible. So many games he won at Panthers atleast occurred after the opposition ran up a bit of a lead and the players tossed out the game plan and started playing footy. The only time i thought our attack looked good under him was the back end of 2016 which was after Gus had stepped in to help.

Both clubs sacked him believing the rosters they had were capable of more than he was delivering. Both clubs were ultimately correct although Broncos have since gone backwards massively.

Dragons definitely are capable of more than they have delivered. Hopefully you sack him before too much more damage is caused and get Flanagan in to coach. Or just demote Hook to assistant..put Flanagan in as headcoach.

Dragonflies

Juniors
This is just your regular media talk, the truth is the side have had a tough draw over the last month and would not have been expected to win any of the games they lost. It's the manner of the defeats that's a problem, very little resistance shown, very un-StGeorge like. But you only need to beat the bottom 8 to make the top 8 and that should be the focus.
i just want to see improvement in attitude,our defence needs to improve big time.

St_Bondi

Juniors
Griffin is useless but it appears there is no one who wants to come to this joint. With a roster including the likes of the slowest No. 9 in history, a washed up front rower who is good for a very short time and a utility player (at best) who is too slow for the No. 1 but has been forced to play there, who would want to coach them. Sloane and Amone didn’t play great in Rounds 2 an 3 but the whole team played crap and yet he continues to stick with “experience”. FFS I’d rather have some young unpredictable kids with speed to burn be given a bit of free reign and see what they can do. Yes they might make mistakes, but they might provide some magic too who knows. That’s how you gain “experience”. Like an article yesterday said “he is coaching the football out of them.” What a show of confidence it is when you drop one kid altogether and put the other kid on the bench for minimal game time. He should resign.

slippery5

Juniors
As I said previously, they should target Kristian Woolf from St. Helens. He’s coached Tonga to be a powerhouse and has won 2 championships in the UK for St.Helens.
An Aussie boy that has completed a wonderful and successful apprenticeship outside the sheltered workshop.
Failing that….I’d seriously consider Ciraldo or Josh Hannay from the Sharks….he has their attack humming!
Kristian Woolf.
And he's brother Toto run's a very successful Mercedes F1 team..... I think that's the same person??????

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade
Both clubs sacked him believing the rosters they had were capable of more than he was delivering.
Broncos sacked him because Bennett agreed to return.

There is still argument as to why Panthers sacked him and no-one is really quite sure, except perhaps the principal players involved, although many seem to think they know. The side was running equal 4th at the time, a month out from the finals. The following year under Cleary they ran 10th.

Latest posts