What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith v The Saddle Club

Iamback

Coach
He's that good

Attack wise yes.

You want him to roam. That leaves a hole outwide. He needs to have an understanding with the players either side to fill the hole.

He has had a few series now playing on Cleary's side to get that sorted. Given we are talking 1 game only it makes no sense to risk it

Girds89

Bench
Not in the week or so you get in camp.
I think they pick Wighton or go with a club combo as Fatrell is back for game 2
I beg to differ. Turbo is elite and could play either side....wing centre or fb. He puts on a blues jersey and is almost superhuman. Hes been freakish last few years for blues..

Girds89

Bench
He missed 4 tackles all of which was in the 1st 20 mins. The time @Munky posted that was at that time.

He did improve but early on he and the side as a whole was off
None of the missed tackles really lead to anything tho??

For eg... if He puts a huge hit on and knocks a player back 2m and he falls off but the opponent is finished off 3m back by other penrith players.. hes still credited with a miss even if its a hugely positive result.

Many of martins misses are from that scenario. Huge huge first contact where he might fall off but the initial contact is enough for the supporting defenders to drive the opponent back and put them on their back.

People need to forget about him playing prop and just accept hes going to be our 2nd row for the next few years..

Imo i think hes getting better and better.

We have been blessed at penrith with 2nd rowers like waterhouse, frank the tank, big t, big joe, geyer, kikau...

Martins never going to be a player like that.. hes a really really strong hole runner who can hit like a train in defence and play big mins.

Every team needs a player like him.

Smug Panther

First Grade

For eg... if He puts a huge hit on and knocks a player back 2m and he falls off but the opponent is finished off 3m back by other penrith players.. hes still credited with a miss even if its a hugely positive result.

Many of martins misses are from that scenario. Huge huge first contact where he might fall off but the initial contact is enough for the supporting defenders to drive the opponent back and put them on their back.

People need to forget about him playing prop and just accept hes going to be our 2nd row for the next few years..

We have been blessed at penrith with 2nd rowers like waterhouse, frank the tank, big t, big joe, geyer, kikau...

Martins never going to be a player like that.. hes a really really strong hole runner who can hit like a train in defence and play big mins.

Waterhouse is our most overrated and under delivering player. Was outstanding to start then floundered and went no where. Got many undeserved rep jumpers

Iamback

Coach

I have to rewatch the game to know exactly but we were down 6-0. Had no field position

That only happens through errors and missed tackles - which we had heaps of early on.

After the sin bin he was much better - including scoring a try, he was playing prop then

chrisD

Coach
We weren't pushed or tested last night, we were not off ever, we won the contact, ruck and meterage all night, their only field position came off shit like Staines stepping over the ball or phantom offsides. Our forwards had whatever they wanted and because the opposition was poor there was nothing much to learn from it. Their only quality was Reynolds's kicking and Staggs and they showed up what we already knew really, the left side is inexperienced.

Girds89

Bench
I have to rewatch the game to know exactly but we were down 6-0. Had no field position

That only happens through errors and missed tackles - which we had heaps of early on.

After the sin bin he was much better - including scoring a try, he was playing prop then

He was but it was a 2nd rowers try.. he was lined up as a 2nd rower.

He was running off yeo just like a 2nd rower would. Was a great hole run, typical from a 2nd rower well wide of the ruck. Change of direction as he caught it and hes too hard to stop that close..

He has really nailed that down, whether it be off nath or yeo he changes direction as he catches the ball at speed. Very hard for defenders, especially smaller men like your halfs to contain that close to the line.

If he plays middle of the field you lose that becuase defence is much more compact and bigger bodies..

Ive never been against him playing middle. And theres potentially time and place for it in some games.

But i just think the dynamic of the side atm suits him playing on an edge..

For example id have much rather see leniu get another 7 or 8 mins last night (cause onky got 27)... than martin fill in at prop for 7 or so mins till the 2nd prop came back on...

Salmon has been ok and he hasnt ket anyone down. Ive been critical of him all pre season but ill admit hes done ok...

But i still just dont think he offers much when he comes on as a 2md rower.. hes not as good as c smith.. hes literally just there for an injury to the halfs or backs.

If we are still sitting nicely when we are back to full strength id love to see a few things..

C smith on the bench instead of salmon... i just think hed have much much more impact.. i know he doesnt have the utility value but i just want to see how it affects the team dynamic. If we are winning and doing well i think its worth trying..

And the other is to see how too goes on the right.. taylan is undroppable. Hes freakish..

Full strength id love to see
Edwards
Too
Critta
Tago
May
Luai
Cleary
Moses
Api
Fish
Kiks
Martin
Yeo

Kenny
Leniu
Soro
C smith

18th salmon.

Unluckiest bloke being eiso who is a deadset bargain and been soo good for us in his time here.

Man i was wrong when ivan signer him.. cant remember exactly what i said but i thought it was an absolute shit house signing. I turned out to be super wrong haha

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
In my opinion he has stagnated and even regressed. He used to be a dangerous runner and be an aerial threat.

He's become one dimensional and charges out of the line for the big hit and only creates a gust near the ball runner.

Maybe my expectations are misplaced.

Fair enough your entitled to that opinion. I just don't agree with it. I think that Martin is fullfilling the role that his coach wants.

Almost a throw back of a player. Love his work ethic and what he does.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Sorro's nickname needs to be Optimus Prime because that rig is ridiculous.

*totally achievable for the average bloke as I rip my eighth tinnie for the night.

My gosh as an 'older lady'......I just sat back and admired. What a body!.

My coment is not political correct, and the sad part is that if that was said by an older bloke, about an attractive young woman. This forum would explode in a meltdown of 'wokeness;.

Girds89

Bench
One thing ive noticed is tago seems very quiet sorta bloke. Almost still in his shell.

Watching him after he scores hes quiet. Even during the team song in sheds hes really quiet.

Not sure if thats just hes personality or if hes just slowly adapting to being on the big stage or even it sometimes seems he just seems like he doesnt realise how good hes going.

Like i said last night i think getting stood up a few times last night against one of the best in the game will do him wonders.

unKwn

Juniors
One thing ive noticed is tago seems very quiet sorta bloke. Almost still in his shell.

Watching him after he scores hes quiet. Even during the team song in sheds hes really quiet.

Not sure if thats just hes personality or if hes just slowly adapting to being on the big stage or even it sometimes seems he just seems like he doesnt realise how good hes going.

Like i said last night i think getting stood up a few times last night against one of the best in the game will do him wonders.
I think that’s just his personality even in interviews he says barely anything

Iamback

Coach
He was but it was a 2nd rowers try.. he was lined up as a 2nd rower.

He was running off yeo just like a 2nd rower would. Was a great hole run, typical from a 2nd rower well wide of the ruck. Change of direction as he caught it and hes too hard to stop that close..

He has really nailed that down, whether it be off nath or yeo he changes direction as he catches the ball at speed. Very hard for defenders, especially smaller men like your halfs to contain that close to the line.

If he plays middle of the field you lose that becuase defence is much more compact and bigger bodies..

Ive never been against him playing middle. And theres potentially time and place for it in some games.

But i just think the dynamic of the side atm suits him playing on an edge..

For example id have much rather see leniu get another 7 or 8 mins last night (cause onky got 27)... than martin fill in at prop for 7 or so mins till the 2nd prop came back on...

Salmon has been ok and he hasnt ket anyone down. Ive been critical of him all pre season but ill admit hes done ok...

But i still just dont think he offers much when he comes on as a 2md rower.. hes not as good as c smith.. hes literally just there for an injury to the halfs or backs.

If we are still sitting nicely when we are back to full strength id love to see a few things..

C smith on the bench instead of salmon... i just think hed have much much more impact.. i know he doesnt have the utility value but i just want to see how it affects the team dynamic. If we are winning and doing well i think its worth trying..

And the other is to see how too goes on the right.. taylan is undroppable. Hes freakish..

Full strength id love to see
Edwards
Too
Critta
Tago
May
Luai
Cleary
Moses
Api
Fish
Kiks
Martin
Yeo

Kenny
Leniu
Soro
C smith

18th salmon.

Unluckiest bloke being eiso who is a deadset bargain and been soo good for us in his time here.

Man i was wrong when ivan signer him.. cant remember exactly what i said but i thought it was an absolute shit house signing. I turned out to be super wrong haha

No Salmon was the 2nd rower.

See where Fish was to push Cobbo out? The middles are standing wider for us in attack

Salmon is in the 17.
No one covers the positions he can

Panther_Platz

Juniors

My coment is not political correct, and the sad part is that if that was said by an older bloke, about an attractive young woman. This forum would explode in a meltdown of 'wokeness;.
Christ, as a not older bloke, nor young whipper snapper, I can comfortably say his whole rig, top to toe is awesome. 😁

soc123_au

Staff member

He is a fine looking specimen. My Mrs got a pic with him at the Souffs game and was suitably impressed.