What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most hyped youngster that went nowhere?

The_Frog

First Grade
Didn’t the Panthers have a kid are kind 6-7 years back who got signed to some crazy schoolboy contract at age 16 then never played a game in first grade. It have likely been during the Elliott years as head coach.
If you are talking about Greg Waddell, it was 2007 when he was signed to a six figure contract aged 16. Injuries destroyed him, not lack of talent. Didn't have the body for the game at the top level, but no-one knew it.

edabomb

First Grade
According to Knights management, Greg Smith...lol. I don't know the full story about that saga but the Knights clearly didn't do their homework on him. For him to get a first grade appearance based on the words of a total stranger baffles my mind. I hope someone tries to find him for an interview at some point...lol.

5mins in, the html doesn't let me time stamp.

Canard

Immortal
Heard he and McKendry got into trouble and one had to take the wrap so he got the boot and McKendry stayed on.
Some of the names here are a bit hardsh. Hoppa had a long career and wasn't a dud by any means.
Joel Romello is a woman bashing piece of shit and hopefully gets locked up again. it's where he belongs in my view.
Wes Patten was a dickhead as well.

Not a dud but I think Pat Richards would have been a gun if he didn't go super league. The clip of him throwing Matt Cooper into touch with one arm in the grand final qualifiers throwing was amazing.
Chris Lawrence was another who didn't get to reach his full potential. He was never the same after his hip injury.
Pat Richards played 100+ games of NRL, for a somewhat slow winger, that's a great achievement.

I don't recall him being hyped as a junior.

If you are talking about Greg Waddell, it was 2007 when he was signed to a six figure contract aged 16. Injuries destroyed him, not lack of talent. Didn't have the body for the game at the top level, but no-one knew it.
That’s the one. Time properly flies. I remember Coote named him as the most talented player he played with who never made the grade

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Might seem harsh, but Shaun Johnson. In 2011, he had hype flung all over him. Joey was basically punching one out in interviews talking about him. I know he won a Golden Boot in 2014 and had his moments for the Kiwis, but I think if you said after the 2011 GF run that he'd play 7-8 seasons for the Warriors (and counting) without playing in a finals series, get to the point where the Warriors didn't particularly want him anymore and be where he is now on his return, that would be pretty disappointing.

Pat Richards played 100+ games of NRL, for a somewhat slow winger, that's a great achievement.

I don't recall him being hyped as a junior.

also won a man of steel award. Would be great in the game today, the bloke could hit a 40m field goal in his sleep.

Jordan Rankin debuted at 16 in what I feel was a publicity stunt by the Titans at the time. Usually only future test players debut at 17 (Daley, Fittler, Folau who were all big young men), but I'd never seen a skinny kid debut at 16. He didn't nail down a spot at the Titans and ended up in England and then the Tigers playing on the wing when he was originally a halfback. I see he's now at the Eels and it's unlikely he'll play first grade again.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
There was a gun Warriors backrower about a decade ago that was really making waves. Can’t remember his name though.

Not cool bro, not cool.

James Roberts comes to mind, ripped it up in the Juniors, seemed to have all the talent in the world.

The Nikorima boys both showed immense promise at the Broncos, but fair to say neither have set the world on fire. Seems most Warriors fans agree that he has a good game in every six or so.

I'd also throw maybe a Kevin Locke into the mix. Started his career very well, even playing for a Kiwis a number of times, but by the time he was what, 24 or 25 or so it was all but done.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I was convinced Lino was going to be a superstar watching him in the lower grades

Played a bit a Newcastle I think then went nowhere
He had some pretty bad luck/timing.

He played well with us in the back end of 2018 and it convinced him that he was ready to be a starting NRL half. We had SJ and Blake Green so he was next cab off the rank but still he signed with the Knights for the 2019 season.

In the off season, shit blows up with SJ, he signs with the Sharks and that 7 spot would have been his.

In the end Lino goes to the knights, plays a few games and gets shipped off to Super League.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Not cool bro, not cool.

James Roberts comes to mind, ripped it up in the Juniors, seemed to have all the talent in the world.

The Nikorima boys both showed immense promise at the Broncos, but fair to say neither have set the world on fire. Seems most Warriors fans agree that he has a good game in every six or so.

I'd also throw maybe a Kevin Locke into the mix. Started his career very well, even playing for a Kiwis a number of times, but by the time he was what, 24 or 25 or so it was all but done.
Kevin Locke is a good shout. Massively hyped, big debut v the Tigers, played for the Kiwis, scored that epic try v Roosters in CHCH then pissed his career away. Could've been anything.

butchmcdick

Immortal
He had some pretty bad luck/timing.

He played well with us in the back end of 2018 and it convinced him that he was ready to be a starting NRL half. We had SJ and Blake Green so he was next cab off the rank but still he signed with the Knights for the 2019 season.

In the off season, shit blows up with SJ, he signs with the Sharks and that 7 spot would have been his.

In the end Lino goes to the knights, plays a few games and gets shipped off to Super League.

I would’ve been happy if the cowboys had of signed Lino

I thought he had some real talent