What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

PhilGould

Bench
Media tend to inflate these figures.

Hopefully Knowles or whoever is pushing for his signing can knock some sense into him if he joins. Been more of a cheap shot merchant than an enforcer thus far.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
If we get him on 500k then the club deserves to get another wooden spoon.

Look at Croker, on bare minimum and he is performing solidly. I'd rather keep Jirah or Saulo on bare minimum and use the remainder elsewhere.

At first I thought Hetherington would be near bargain basement and AOB was trying to do some money ball shit or follow Bellamy's lead in signing unwanted players and get them to perform above expectations here. But 500k would be madness. It doesn't fit a need, nor is it money well spent.
We seriously lack depth when it comes to aggressive second rowers. I would definitely say there is a need there.

Agressive and skillful second rowers we need.

I still maintain that Thompson needs to get a run outwide. He has all the attributes to be a good modern backrower

slotmachine

First Grade
Whatever position he's playing he's not as good as Barnett.

Just another case of the club letting a bloke walk and replacing them with a worse player or no one.

Are we going into 2023 with the same spine and bunch of utilities? Grim.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Whatever position he's playing he's not as good as Barnett.

Just another case of the club letting a bloke walk and replacing them with a worse player or no one.

Are we going into 2023 with the same spine and bunch of utilities? Grim.
100%.
He's not even better than Fitz. It's just filling a roster gap with a body.
One that is best known for cheap shots and little else.

Burwood

Bench
Why is he a direct replacement for Barnett? Maybe he’s viewed by coaching as one of those much needed depth signings that will strengthen the top 17 and stop Jones, Johns etc getting onto the bench.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Why is he a direct replacement for Barnett? Maybe he’s viewed by coaching as one of those much needed depth signings that will strengthen the top 17 and stop Jones, Johns etc getting onto the bench.

If he's in position 25-30 in the squad then great. But the reported money doesn't make it sound like that's the case. Also.. Why would he come here to be a reserve?

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
If he's in position 25-30 in the squad then great. But the reported money doesn't make it sound like that's the case. Also.. Why would he come here to be a reserve?
Well presumably if he would come here he’ll be thinking he’s got a shot at first grade. I’m sure there will be no guarantees made but he would be able to come and play for the club that represents the area where he grew up and he’d be in the mix for a first grade spot. Strong clubs have a top 30 where just about everyone could have a shot at playing first grade and at least being competent at it. Unfortunately we’re in the position where we’ve got a squad with about 15 legitimate first graders and another 15 who aren’t up to it, not even close, and due to the nature of injuries those guys are being called upon way too often.

So I don’t have a problem if we sign Hetherington provided it’s on the right money. If he’s currently on $500K at the Dogs then I don’t see him getting anything close to that anywhere else so maybe around $250K-$300K would be about right.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
Based on what we’ve seen he would be an upgrade on any of those guys. Although in Jirah’s defence he only ever gets 10-15 mins off the bench so a much smaller sample size.
Sau has gone ok, not a world beater but a squad filler.

Saulo ? if he was ever going to be anything you'd think that would have already happened.

Woosh

Head Moderator

SLOAN MAY LEAVE DRAGONS

Don't be surprised if talented young Dragons fullback Tyrell Sloan - touted as the next big thing at the Dragons at the start of the year - quits the club.

Sloan had strips torn off him by coach Anthony Griffin recently and has told friends he believes he has no future at the club.

His confidence is badly shaken and with Cody Ramsey starring at fullback last weekend, Sloan won't be back in the top grade any time soon.

The youngster has already been dropped twice in the opening 11 rounds of the season and shapes as an ideal signing for Wayne Bennett and the Dolphins.

Should Newcastle move Ponga to 6 and go after a fullback?
Sloan is a rough diamond, his confidence is obviously shot but definitely has the talent.