What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Iamback

Coach
Broncos were a “plastic” club when they started. So were the Roosters, Rabbitohs & Bears for that matter.

But hey let’s just revive every old club back to NRL level to keep some dinosaurs happy.

Slightly different circumstances but they were good early on. Had a whole state to choose from and had a very strong QRL backing.

How did Crushers go?
Or how did GC go across many different incarnations?

The last 2 teams let into AFL are last in most categories

Same for Western United and MacArthur in A League.

So if it is possible to link up with an existing brand then it is a good idea.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Slightly different circumstances but they were good early on. Had a whole state to choose from and had a very strong QRL backing.

How did Crushers go?
Or how did GC go across many different incarnations?

The last 2 teams let into AFL are last in most categories

Same for Western United and MacArthur in A League.

So if it is possible to link up with an existing brand then it is a good idea.
There’s certainly some pros to it as long as it’s in the right circumstances and I’m not adverse at all as long as the t&c’s are right for WA. Seems most bears and WA fans are same, though we may have a different opinion what those t&c’s should be lol.

Iamback

Coach
And the roosters v dogs drew 9.5k, dragons v penrith 10k, dragons v cronulla 10.5k manly v canberra 7k etc
like I said there are many factors that make up tv viewing and live attendance and heritage seems to be a minor one.

Western United in A League. New team brought in running 3rd yet is 2nd last in crowds with 3616. The only team with lower is fellow new comer MacArthur with 3023 - This is despite them playing in finals last year

GWS - made the finals last year. Yet average 11044 above only fellow newcomer GC with 10916

So New teams generally have performed poorly when starting. A few exceptions of course

Iamback

Coach
There’s certainly some pros to it as long as it’s in the right circumstances and I’m not adverse at all as long as the t&c’s are right for WA. Seems most bears and WA fans are same, though we may have a different opinion what those t&c’s should be lol.

Fans can be idiots.

The board will be smart and realise that they are a minor partner

Perth Red

Post Whore
Fans can be idiots.

The board will be smart and realise that they are a minor partner
I hope so, and I hope that’s ok with them if this partnership is actually the best thing for a WA team.
We know it ticks vlads boxes and as we saw with dolphins it’s not necessarily the most strategic or best bid that gets up when you’re working with the nrl.
I doubt it will happen for all the reasons Dane has pointed out in the history of the Bears trying to get back in the nrl. It’s hard to see bears willing to be a minor partner and it’s hard to see a WA consortium and WA govt wanting them to be anything else. Time will tell I suppose.

probably the most positive thing out of it all is confirmation Vlandys has moved on from his ridiculous rusted on statement and is open to a perth club in the nrl

Pippen94

First Grade
that’s part of the problem, it shouldn’t be impossible for nrl clubs to earn more from fans and game day revenue than they get from the tv grant, but they are mostly sht at building active customer base and the nrl has compromised that ability by agreeing to sht game times.

Artie Beetson who hasn’t played a game for over 40 years?

Yeh that’ll pack em in.

It's called history. It's why Perth are being linked to bears.

Pippen94

First Grade
I hope so, and I hope that’s ok with them if this partnership is actually the best thing for a WA team.
We know it ticks vlads boxes and as we saw with dolphins it’s not necessarily the most strategic or best bid that gets up when you’re working with the nrl.
I doubt it will happen for all the reasons Dane has pointed out in the history of the Bears trying to get back in the nrl. It’s hard to see bears willing to be a minor partner and it’s hard to see a WA consortium and WA govt wanting them to be anything else. Time will tell I suppose.

probably the most positive thing out of it all is confirmation Vlandys has moved on from his ridiculous rusted on statement and is open to a perth club in the nrl

You don't know more NRL. You're not privy to what they know. Your thinking is from 1990's with super league mentality anyway

Pippen94

First Grade
Western United in A League. New team brought in running 3rd yet is 2nd last in crowds with 3616. The only team with lower is fellow new comer MacArthur with 3023 - This is despite them playing in finals last year

GWS - made the finals last year. Yet average 11044 above only fellow newcomer GC with 10916

So New teams generally have performed poorly when starting. A few exceptions of course

Wanderers matched Sydney fc in most metrics (who actually improved so so much for cannibalizing) in debut season.

Macarthur & Western United were bad choices for locations. Northern Beaches, Sutherland & even Morton Bay were stronger areas according to study but that's A league everyone.

Centy Coast

Juniors
They were never the lowest in the comp and higher than a number of sydney clubs who had decades head start to build a fanbase.

If Vlandys thinks Storm are a problem the game has no hope lol. In AFL heartland they have built a good crowd, a large membership and a massive tv audience, and now make a profit. They have one of the highest NRL debut in first team ratios of any club. I mean how many clubs are ticking that many boxes let alone an expansion club in afl territory?

The reality is for Victoria until the NRl stops pssing about with funding for the state and seriously invests in it there simply isnt enough kids playing the game to have a large number coming through at first grade. Its a $ in first graders out equation. Storm spend big running their own victorian teams plus helping with funding on sunshine coast but they cant get participation rates up on their own, thats NRLVic's job with funding from the ARLC. There's $25million less spent on grassroots last year, no wonder the new markets are struggling.
The reality is that AFL is top dog in VIC, the kids want to play AFL, my son played against the Victorian side in the NSW Country Championship final (virtually all islander kids) and smoked them, weeks later he played representative rugby union against Melbourne (nearly all the same kids).

Colk

First Grade
You don't know more NRL. You're not privy to what they know. Your thinking is from 1990's with super league mentality anyway

What a gobsmackingly hypocritical comment to make. Simply nor do you.

You’re the one going on and on about what the NRL will do next and the TV negotiations. You were also going on about AFL TV negotiations like you were privy to the whole thing.

Pippen94

First Grade
What a gobsmackingly hypocritical comment to make. Simply nor do you.

You’re the one going on and on about what the NRL will do next and the TV negotiations. You were also going on about AFL TV negotiations like you were privy to the whole thing.

We're all armchair critics but when somebody says what NRL are doing is not strategic, well...

Perth Red

Post Whore
We're all armchair critics but when somebody says what NRL are doing is not strategic, well...
Well it was strategic in terms of keeping vlads bosses happy at news Ltd. If it was strategic for what is best for the nrl in Brisbane, well that’s very much open for discussion! The fact people are saying we need a Brisbane3 already would suggest probably not.

NK-CS_NRL_DAS_Reds_002_zip_hoodie_ads-400x400.jpg
NK-CS_NRL_DAS_Reds_001_zip_hoodie_ads-768x768.jpg

Centy Coast

Juniors
Neutrals tune in because they think it’s going to be a good game to watch or because it’s been hyped as a big game Or because the venue is predicted to be full so atmosphere will lift the game or because the game time suits their viewing . In fact a whole variety of reasons, the clubs name I’d suggest isn’t near top of list for a neutral.

Centy Coast

Juniors
Well it was strategic in terms of keeping vlads bosses happy at news Ltd. If it was strategic for what is best for the nrl in Brisbane, well that’s very much open for discussion! The fact people are saying we need a Brisbane3 already would suggest probably not.
I watched the first games played by the Brisbane Broncos, the Western Reds, the Melbourne Storm and the Northern Eagles, I'm pretty sure all of these teams won on debut or they were damn close thrilling games.
The Bears brand will rope in many fans from the get go, Perth would also give the players anonymity as nobody would know who they are in the AFL stronghold.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I watched the first games played by the Brisbane Broncos, the Western Reds, the Melbourne Storm and the Northern Eagles, I'm pretty sure all of these teams won on debut or they were damn close thrilling games.
The Bears brand will rope in many fans from the get go, Perth would also give the players anomity as nobody would know who the are in the AFL stronghold.
Yeh they could certainly go to the pub without dckheads hassling them!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whichever bid gets up Perth fan numbers will be same for. How many bears fans a joint bid would create is the interesting one. If done right and if there really is lots of dormant bears fans out there it could be a decent amount. Added together we may have one of the biggest membership clubs from day one.

Centy Coast

Juniors
This is factually incorrect. Dean Iereima; whilst being born in Samoa, was brought through the Sunbury Tigers in the NRL VIC and is in Melbourne's current 30 playing group. Other notable players who have come through the NRL VIC junior system are Kelma Tuilagi (Casey Warriors), Mahe Fonua (Sth East Titans) , Jamayne Tonua-Brown (Altona Roosters), Charnze Nikoll-Klokstad (Altona Roosters), *Gareth Widdop (Altona Roosters), **Jeremy Smith (Altona Roosters), Young Tonumaipea (Nothern Thunder), and Richard Kennar (Northern Thunder).

*Gareth Widdop moved over from the UK as a teen and played his junior rugby league in Melbourne
** Jeremy Smith started his junior rugby league in Melbourne before moving up to Runaway Bay on the Gold Coast
Sorry I meant currently, that is an impressive list 😂😂😂