What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Bears aren’t stupid. This is their only chance to get back in the nrl. No previous nrl boss has entertained the idea of them returning
They're not going about it too brightly. All of the unrealistic demands they're making and their poor grasp of history is making a mockery of the whole thing. If the idiots had a clue they wouldn't be comparing their situation to South Melbourne while demanding four games be held at NSO. South Melbourne relocated permanently to Sydney.

Wb1234

Referee
They're not going about it too brightly. All of the unrealistic demands they're making and their poor grasp of history is making a mockery of the whole thing. If the idiots had a clue they wouldn't be comparing their situation to South Melbourne while demanding four games be held at NSO. South Melbourne relocated permanently to Sydney.
Footballers were never the sharpest tools in the shed

reality is Perth call the shots with this bid. Nz has no credible bid yet. Vlandys is meeting the wa govt to discuss the bid he isn’t meeting the bears guys.

he’s pushing Perth in their direction sure but everything he said was against another Sydney team

4 games at nso would be ridiculous

who knows if the bears don’t do a deal maybe as Perth red says the wa govt and consortia put in such a good bid on their own anyway without the bears

Footballers were never the sharpest tools in the shed

reality is Perth call the shots with this bid. Nz has no credible bid yet. Vlandys is meeting the wa govt to discuss the bid he isn’t meeting the bears guys.

he’s pushing Perth in their direction sure but everything he said was against another Sydney team

4 games at nso would be ridiculous

who knows if the bears don’t do a deal maybe as Perth red says the wa govt and consortia put in such a good bid on their own anyway without the bears
If PVL can get the WA government to rebuild the northern and western stands at Perth Oval to bring capacity up to 25k, with a roof added to the southern stand, then he would be mad to not bring in the Pirates. Twelve games at a ground like that would be a massive improvement to the suburban grounds in Sydney.

If all goes to plan then by 2030 all clubs will be playing at quality stadia, with the exception being Sharks, Dragons, Tigers and Bulldogs.

I've got serious health problems that do not affect most of the population. I'm also caring for a blind dog that is diabetic. I have a litany of rescue animals that take up a lot of attention. Call me a "pussy" if you like, but I've got to prioritise the health and welfare of myself and the animals under my care.

Before my health took a turn for the worse I regularly attended Queensland Cup and Cowboys games.

I'm still a paying member of my club and spend hundreds of dollars on merchandise each year.

The Queensland government hasn't spent one cent of tax payer money on NSWRL clubs for their betterment. The money has gone towards building stadia and infrastructure, like COE buildings, for Queensland clubs. Money is spent on Magic Round because it brings tourists to Brisbane. The Queensland government has never tried to entice a NSWRL club to relocate permanently to Queensland.
I say this most sincerely, I'm very sorry to hear about these issues with you, and I wouldn't wish them on anyone, not even a Queenslander!

I say this just as sincerely, your posts are still boring as batshit and continuously derail threads.
Cest la vie.
You are who you are.

I say this most sincerely, I'm very sorry to hear about these issues with you, and I wouldn't wish them on anyone, not even a Queenslander!

I say this just as sincerely, your posts are still boring as batshit and continuously derail threads.
Cest la vie.
You are who you are.
I can see how a NSWRL fan would be angered and bored by my incessant criticism of the current order and feel the need to respond. The boredom and anger you feel reading my posts is what rugby league fans outside of NSW feel whenever they see the Sydney-centric media talk endlessly about the Blues and Sydney's nine clubs. The bullshit stories about the Bears that emerge every few years reinforces the reality that our game is run for the betterment of nine NSWRL clubs, while the rest of us are just second class citizens and are expected to be happy with our status. It's depressing and infuriating to the point it makes people outside of NSW question the point of following a sport that has no consideration for anyone outside of Sydney.

The fact this is an expansion forum and is littered with posts from NSWRL fans pushing for the Central Coast Bears, many of which date back years, sums up how depressing it is to be a rugby league fan from outside Sydney.

MugaB

Coach
I can see how a NSWRL fan would be angered and bored by my incessant criticism of the current order and feel the need to respond. The boredom and anger you feel reading my posts is what rugby league fans outside of NSW feel whenever they see the Sydney-centric media talk endlessly about the Blues and Sydney's nine clubs. The bullshit stories about the Bears that emerge every few years reinforces the reality that our game is run for the betterment of nine NSWRL clubs, while the rest of us are just second class citizens and are expected to be happy with our status. It's depressing and infuriating to the point it makes people outside of NSW question the point of following a sport that has no consideration for anyone outside of Sydney.

The fact this is an expansion forum and is littered with posts from NSWRL fans pushing for the Central Coast Bears, many of which date back years, sums up how depressing it is to be a rugby league fan from outside Sydney.
Where's @Stallion when you need him?
Rather hear his rants than this dickbag

*Note to self: leaving Sydney is a sure-fire way to get depression.

mongoose

Coach
Let me see if I've got this correct...

PVL wants to revive a Sydney club that's languished in obscurity in the NSW Cup for 23 years, but only if it relocates to Perth. The club wants to play four of its twelve games (one-third) at a dilapidated cricket ground in Sydney.

That means we could end up with a club that is as irrelevant as Glebe and Newtown to an entire generation of people in Sydney playing two-thirds of its matches in a state that has bugger all locals who've ever heard of them.

Did I mention that Western Australians are more parochial than Queenslanders and don't identify with people from the east coast?

Only in rugby league could something as crazy as this proposal be taken seriously.
It's not a bad idea though and I can see why its attractive to Vlandys and the NRL, especially if Norths leagues club can back the club.

The fact that the Bears are "irrelevant" actually works in their favour if they are relocating to Perth cause virtually no one will know who they are or have any opinion on them. The problem is if Perthies see them as a failed Sydney club and give them the cold shoulder. Also concerns around how committed the Norths side are to staying in Perth and whether down the track they just move back to Central Coast full time. The NRL needs to put in some 50 year clause or something that they play a certain amount of games in Perth.

MugaB

Coach
The NRL needs to put in some 50 year clause or something that they play a certain amount of games in Perth.
91 years bears were in the top grade, if they want a 50/50 split they need to work off the years an 1st grade RL club hasn't played in perth, and since the reds had 3 years there, the clause is set for 88 years, this starts the day they play at HBF park...
Or if you wanna say that theyve been out of the game too, can knock off a further 26 years of the sentence, so PVL ask your mate Abdo to draw up a clause that locks in the bears as the 18th team as long as they play 10 games per year in perth for the next 62 years.... done!! after that we'll review your parole

Last edited:

mongoose

Coach
91 years bears were in the top grade, if they want a 50/50 split they need to work off the years an 1st grade RL club hasn't played in perth, and since the reds had 3 years there, the clause is set for 88 years, this starts the day they play at HBF park...
Or if you wanna say that theyve been out of the game too, can knock off a further 26 years of the sentence, so PVL ask your mate Abdo to draw up a clause that locks in the bears as the 18th team as long as they play 10 games per year in perth for the next 62 years.... done!! after that we'll review your parole
then a 120 year old half cyborg Greg Florimo will move them back to Sydney

RedVee_8

Juniors
You hit the key point early in the post.

Nothing wrong with new brands, Titans have had plenty of other issues that hindered their progress. They wouldn’t have any more or less supporters today if they were Gold Coast Bears (Norths Merger or Burleigh promoted).

WA Bears might bring a few more Sydney based supporters than Pirates, nowhere near what the Bears would claim though. Being frank with the average age of supporters those numbers would start dropping significantly in the few decades. Don’t see many kids in Sydney getting behind WA Bears.

Do you think Suns & Giants would have been any more successful if they promoted/moved/merged with some VFL club with history?
I agree pretty much with you but just on the bit I bolded…. I was surprised that our new colleague (girl 28-30 at a guess) said she was a Storm supporter. I asked how a North Shore girl becomes a Melbourne fan. She went onto say that she (and her family presumably) were Norths supporters and there is no bloody way she would support Manly. So there are still some in a younger demographic. Surprised me a bit.

Centy Coast

Juniors
It's not a bad idea though and I can see why its attractive to Vlandys and the NRL, especially if Norths leagues club can back the club.

The fact that the Bears are "irrelevant" actually works in their favour if they are relocating to Perth cause virtually no one will know who they are or have any opinion on them. The problem is if Perthies see them as a failed Sydney club and give them the cold shoulder. Also concerns around how committed the Norths side are to staying in Perth and whether down the track they just move back to Central Coast full time. The NRL needs to put in some 50 year clause or something that they play a certain amount of games in Perth.
This is what I said in an earlier post about the NRL license because that's what happened with the Northern Eagles.
As soon as the contracts were signed that the NRL license would go to Manly if the merger failed Ken Arthurson and Bob Fulton would have been working overtime for the merger to fall apart.
That said if Perth aren't pulling good crowds the bid would have to play a few more games elsewhere to still be viable.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
I agree pretty much with you but just on the bit I bolded…. I was surprised that our new colleague (girl 28-30 at a guess) said she was a Storm supporter. I asked how a North Shore girl becomes a Melbourne fan. She went onto say that she (and her family presumably) were Norths supporters and there is no bloody way she would support Manly. So there are still some in a younger demographic. Surprised me a bit.
People underestimate the support they will get in Sydney. The north shore is largely a rugby league desert.

one of the biggest injustices of super league was the bears being kicked out.

when south’s came back in it was huge boost for the game in Sydney. This will be the same on a smaller scale.

it wouldn’t surprise me if the bears away support is the same as some existing Sydney clubs like the roosters or sharks

Wb1234

Referee
This is what I said in an earlier post about the NRL license because that's what happened with the Northern Eagles.
As soon as the contracts were signed that the NRL license would go to Manly if the merger failed Ken Arthurson and Bob Fulton would have been working overtime for the merger to fall apart.
That said if Perth aren't pulling good crowds the bid would have to play a few more game elsewhere to still be viable.
Perth are going to get major corporate support in their home market. They will end up averaging 15k crowds.

rhe wa government has also promised financial aid for the bid too

they will be stronger financially than the storm imo after they get established

plus if the bears are on board they will have norths leagues plus probably an extra 5k members from Sydney on top of 10 to 15k members in Perth