What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

It's not a bad idea though and I can see why its attractive to Vlandys and the NRL, especially if Norths leagues club can back the club.

The fact that the Bears are "irrelevant" actually works in their favour if they are relocating to Perth cause virtually no one will know who they are or have any opinion on them. The problem is if Perthies see them as a failed Sydney club and give them the cold shoulder. Also concerns around how committed the Norths side are to staying in Perth and whether down the track they just move back to Central Coast full time. The NRL needs to put in some 50 year clause or something that they play a certain amount of games in Perth.
North Sydney will never abandon hope of returning to Sydney and the News Ltd media will speculate about it to sell papers. The only way this thing works is if the brand is sold to a Perth-based consortium, but North Sydney will never sell.

None of their home games can be taken to Sydney. The fact there are people talking about playing 1, 2, 4 or 6 games in Sydney at a dilapidated cricket ground is beyond crazy and shows just how dumb and out of touch with reality many NSWRL fans are to growing the game. Sydney gets over 100 games a year that struggle to draw a crowd.

I'm yet to hear any of the delusional NSWRL fans talking up this bid explain why the team needs to play a few games at North Sydney Oval. It's just nostalgic narrow-minded thinking from selfish Sydneysiders who want to pretend we're back in 1967, even if it's just for one or two days a year. They're willing to f**k up a Perth team just so they can get their nostalgia hit, which speaks volumes about their sense of entitlement. The North Sydney Bears as an NRL team are dead. Having a rebranded WA Bears play one, two, four or six or two games at NSO won't change their status as a former NRL club that were kicked out in 1999. I have serious doubts there would be more than a few thousand Bears fans who would bother supporting a club that's based in Perth and not called North Sydney.

Last edited:

RedVee_8

Juniors
North Sydney will never abandon hope of returning to Sydney and the News Ltd media will speculate about it to sell papers. The only way this thing works is if the brand is sold to a Perth-based consortium, but North Sydney will never sell.

None of their home games can be taken to Sydney. The fact there are people talking about playing 1, 2, 4 or 6 games in Sydney at a dilapidated cricket ground is beyond crazy and shows just how dumb and out of touch with reality many NSWRL fans are to growing the game. Sydney gets over 100 games a year that struggle to draw a crowd.

I'm yet to hear any of the delusional NSWRL fans talking up this bid explain why the team needs to play a few games at North Sydney Oval. It's just nostalgic narrow-minded thinking from selfish Sydneysiders who want to pretend we're back in 1967, even if it's just for one or two days a year. They're willing to f**k up a Perth team just so they can get their nostalgia hit, which speaks volumes about their sense of entitlement. The North Sydney Bears as an NRL team are dead. Having a WA Bears play one or two games at NSO won't change their status as a former NRL that were kicked out in 1999. I have serious doubts there would be more than a few thousand Bears fans who would bother supporting a club that's based in Perth and not called North Sydney.
I think they can have 1 game pa at NS Oval. If games can be taken to grounds in country towns (which I am happy happens) a heritage ground can get one game.

What you fail to realise is that NS vs Manly at NSO was ALWAYS a grudge match and a real highlight even to neutrals like myself. I bet that grudge has not diminished since Nthn Eagles…

I think they can have 1 game pa at NS Oval. If games can be taken to grounds in country towns (which I am happy happens) a heritage ground can get one game.

What you fail to realise is that NS vs Manly at NSO was ALWAYS a grudge match and a real highlight even to neutrals like myself. I bet that grudge has not diminished since Nthn Eagles…
Games are taken to the country to give the locals a chance to see an NRL game once a year. Sydney hosts over 100 NRL games each year.

NSO is not fit for rugby league. It's not even a football ground. It's one thing to hold games at an oval in the country where no other stadia exist, but it's foolish to host one in Sydney when there's SFS and Parramatta Stadium within driving distance.

If Sea Eagles vs Bears is a grudge match then Bears fans can help fill Brookvale Oval once it's upgraded. The game can be hosted by Manly. There's no reason for them to play the match at a dilapidated cricket oval.

A Perth based team will have the arduous task of travelling to the east coast of Australia 12 times a year. Making them travel 13 times is just plain unfair on the players.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Games are taken to the country to give the locals a chance to see an NRL game once a year. Sydney hosts over 100 NRL games each year.

NSO is not fit for rugby league. It's not even a football ground. It's one thing to hold games at an oval in the country where no other stadia exist, but it's foolish to host one in Sydney when there's SFS and Parramatta Stadium within driving distance.

If Sea Eagles vs Bears is a grudge match then Bears fans can help fill Brookvale Oval once it's upgraded. The game can be hosted by Manly. There's no reason for them to play the match at a dilapidated cricket oval.

A Perth based team will have the arduous task of travelling to the east coast of Australia 12 times a year. Making them travel 13 times is just plain unfair on the players.
Ever heard of the SCG?

Your last point is why I don’t think a Perth team will happen?

Ever heard of the SCG?

Your last point is why I don’t think a Perth team will happen?
The only reason games are currently played at the SCG is because there's no other suitable football stadium in the CBD until the SFS's reconstruction is complete. Plus the SCG isn't a dilapidated cricket oval. It's a state of the art cricket stadium.

Centy Coast

Juniors

I'm yet to hear any of the delusional NSWRL fans talking up this bid explain why the team needs to play a few games at North Sydney Oval. It's just nostalgic narrow-minded thinking from selfish Sydneysiders who want to pretend we're back in 1967, even if it's just for one or two days a year. They're willing to f**k up a Perth team just so they can get their nostalgia hit, which speaks volumes about their sense of entitlement. The North Sydney Bears as an NRL team are dead. Having a WA Bears play one or two games at NSO won't change their status as a former NRL that were kicked out in 1999. I have serious doubts there would be more than a few thousand Bears fans who would bother supporting a club that's based in Perth and not called North Sydney.

Here is a guy with no idea about North Sydney Oval, it is a great oval, when were you last there 🤔 as for North Sydney v Manly Warringah, the hatred is real, and even more so since the Northern Eagles debacle. I'm glad that you mentioned the travelling, this is my main concern for an WA team in the NRL, and one of the main expenses that they massively struggled with when last in the NRL.

Wb1234

Referee
Here is a guy with no idea about North Sydney Oval, it is a great oval, when were you last there 🤔 as for North Sydney v Manly Warringah, the hatred is real, and even more so since the Northern Eagles debacle. I'm glad that you mentioned the travelling, this is my main concern for an WA team in the NRL, and one of the main expenses that they massively struggled with when last in the NRL.
Western bears vs manly at nso is going to be a highlight game of the season

Centy Coast

Juniors
Would the WA Bears be able to form an rivalry with Melbourne, afterall the Storm benefited from the Western Reds demise.
Is there any rivalry in Interstate Clashes between these two locations ?.

Colk

First Grade
It would be just The Bears v Manly

Other 3 games should be

Bears v Tigers at NSO
Bears v Souths at Gosford
Bears v Newcastle at Gosford

Sure if those other three teams want to play their ‘home’ games against the Bears there, otherwise it is an emphatic no. People seem to be forgetting this is a Western Australian side.

Think of it this way, would all of those supporters of Sydney teams like to have 4 of their home games played on the other side of Australia?

siv

First Grade
Sure if those other three teams want to play their ‘home’ games against the Bears there, otherwise it is an emphatic no. People seem to be forgetting this is a Western Australian side.

Think of it this way, would all of those supporters of Sydney teams like to have 4 of their home games played on the other side of Australia?
Well Parra played in Darwin
Souths in Dubbo
Easts in Adelaide
Tigers in Wellington

So shit happens

Centy Coast

Juniors

Well that would be up to the officials of the bid to work out but if they agree to four NSW based games, those are the games that would certainly draw big crowds for them.

Rod Coil

Juniors
The bloke lives in a bubble. I doubt that he has been to any of the grounds that he constantly slags off. No credibility at all.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's not a bad idea though and I can see why its attractive to Vlandys and the NRL, especially if Norths leagues club can back the club.

The fact that the Bears are "irrelevant" actually works in their favour if they are relocating to Perth cause virtually no one will know who they are or have any opinion on them. The problem is if Perthies see them as a failed Sydney club and give them the cold shoulder. Also concerns around how committed the Norths side are to staying in Perth and whether down the track they just move back to Central Coast full time. The NRL needs to put in some 50 year clause or something that they play a certain amount of games in Perth.
Easily solved by the ownership split. 80% perth 20% ns. But yes a license clause that the license will not leave perth won’t hurt