What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WA BEARS

Colk

First Grade
Well Parra played in Darwin
Souths in Dubbo
Easts in Adelaide
Tigers in Wellington

So shit happens

Yeah but that they are not four games are they?

If Parramatta played a third of their games at Darwin for instance, do you think that they are servicing Parramatta and their fans properly? If the shoe was on the other foot and they introduced a side for North Sydney would those in the target market accept a third of the games being played on the other side of Australia? You know yourself that they wouldn’t

In any case, this is a new market and you shouldn’t treat the people that you are targeting with indifference because they won’t accept it.

Although, based on the history of your posts, you seem to regard anything outside of NSWRL with indifference, so the Bears being totally based in NSW (regardless of how completely infeasible that is) is probably what you want and that is why you are arguing for four games

Colk

First Grade
Well that would be up to the officials of the bid to work out but if they agree to four NSW based games, those are the games that would certainly draw big crowds for them.

They can’t possibly agree to that (or shouldn’t). This is meant to be a Perth side, not some weird hybrid NSW/WA side.

If you made such a Frankenstein hybrid team, neither side would fully embrace it - WA fans wouldn’t see it as their team and you would be teasing a full return for those Bears fans which would lead them wanting more and more games and possibly killing that support also)

For this to work in any fashion, there has to br clear parameters wherein it is clearly shown that this is a WA side only

Centy Coast

Juniors
Yeah but that they are not four games are they?

If Parramatta played a third of their games at Darwin for instance, do you think that they are servicing Parramatta and their fans properly? If the shoe was on the other foot and they introduced a side for North Sydney would those in the target market accept a third of the games being played on the other side of Australia? You know yourself that they wouldn’t

In any case, this is a new market and you shouldn’t treat the people that you are targeting with indifference because they won’t accept it.

Although, based on the history of your posts, you seem to regard anything outside of NSWRL with indifference, so the Bears being totally based in NSW (regardless of how completely infeasible that is) is probably what you want and that is why you are arguing for four games
It is called compromise, beggers can't be choosers, unless these two bids work together the NRL may as well give the license to another shit NZ team that no actual kiwis want to play for.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Games are taken to the country to give the locals a chance to see an NRL game once a year. Sydney hosts over 100 NRL games each year.

NSO is not fit for rugby league. It's not even a football ground. It's one thing to hold games at an oval in the country where no other stadia exist, but it's foolish to host one in Sydney when there's SFS and Parramatta Stadium within driving distance.

If Sea Eagles vs Bears is a grudge match then Bears fans can help fill Brookvale Oval once it's upgraded. The game can be hosted by Manly. There's no reason for them to play the match at a dilapidated cricket oval.

A Perth based team will have the arduous task of travelling to the east coast of Australia 12 times a year. Making them travel 13 times is just plain unfair on the players.
The way I see it is we are selling a game to north Sydney. As long as they’re prepared to pay $1mill a year for it then they can have their one game a year at ns oval or wherever they decide they want to play it. If they don’t want to pay f9r it then it’ll be 12 games in perth. this HAS to be a perth club or it will fail and fail badly.

Colk

First Grade
It is called compromise, beggers can't be choosers, unless these two bids work together the NRL may as well give the license to another shit NZ team that no actual kiwis want to play for.

Yes but who are the beggars in this relationship? WA probably has another shot - there is a much smaller chance that there will be another NSW side

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don’t think we will be beggars, with or without bears. All we need to do is get an agreement with a qrl cup team for pathways and with state govt and millionaire backers we tick all the boxes anyway.

Colk

First Grade

Also, another thing: what is the point of adding a side that is going to likely fail which would be the case of a hybrid NSW/WA side?

Bulldog2020

Juniors
It's funny how the Bears argument for a team on the Central Coast has disappeared. And their current proposal is all about having games at North Sydney with no mention of the Central Coast.

jim_57

Staff member
It's funny how the Bears argument for a team on the Central Coast has disappeared. And their current proposal is all about having games at North Sydney with no mention of the Central Coast.

Bears ditched connections to Central Coast years ago as best I can tell, google doesn’t have much beyond 2013.

Kogarah is an oval
It's not a good ground, but at least it has seating on both sidelines.

Here is a guy with no idea about North Sydney Oval, it is a great oval, when were you last there 🤔 as for North Sydney v Manly Warringah, the hatred is real, and even more so since the Northern Eagles debacle. I'm glad that you mentioned the travelling, this is my main concern for an WA team in the NRL, and one of the main expenses that they massively struggled with when last in the NRL.
Broadcast revenue in 1995 was $10m and the Reds and Cowboys were forced to cover the flight and accommodation costs for every club that travelled to Perth and Townsville in A Grade and Reserve Grade. Both clubs were crippled by the costs of flying themselves and opponents around over 20 rounds. Broke arse Sydney clubs couldn't afford to pay for two flights to Perth and Townsville. Broadcast revenue now covers flight and accommodation, so travel costs will not be an issue for Perth.

NSO is a dilapidated shithole unfit for RL. You only like it because you're a Bears fan. If it was any other club's ground you would be objective and see it the same way as neutrals.

The bloke lives in a bubble. I doubt that he has been to any of the grounds that he constantly slags off. No credibility at all.
If ovals are such great places to watch football games then why was the SFS built?

How come Lang Park, Parramatta Stadium, Penrith Football Stadium, Newcastle Stadium, Townsville Stadium, Robina Stadium and every other main RL ground is not an oval?

Why did the NRL and its fans want Stadium Australia to be converted into a football stadium?

Last edited:

Centy Coast

Juniors
It's not a good ground, but at least it has seating on both sidelines.

Broadcast revenue in 1995 was $10m and the Reds and Cowboys were forced to cover the flight and accommodation costs for every club that travelled to Perth and Townsville in A Grade and Reserve Grade. Both clubs were crippled by the costs of flying themselves and opponents around over 20 rounds. Broke arse Sydney clubs couldn't afford to pay for two flights to Perth and Townsville. Broadcast revenue now covers flight and accommodation, so travel costs will not be an issue for Perth.

NSO is a dilapidated shithole unfit for RL. You only like it because you're a Bears fan. If it was any other club's ground you would be objective and see it the same way as neutrals.

If ovals are such great places to watch football games then why was the SFS built?

How come Lang Park, Parramatta Stadium, Penrith Football Stadium, Newcastle Stadium, Townsville Stadium, Robina Stadium and every other main RL ground is not an oval?

Why did the NRL and its fans want Stadium Australia to be converted into a football stadium?
Are you sure the fans wanted it or just the corporate sponsors and big wigs 🤔 I'm not talking oval grounds I'm talking suburban grounds vs Stadiums. Ever been to Leichhardt oval when it is packed ?.
Have you been to any recent North Sydney v the Blacktown Sea Eagles 😂 or Newtown Jets matches ?.
Most Sydney NRL clubs would kill for those crowds.

Last edited:

Centy Coast

Juniors
Last time the Western Reds were in the competition the airfares nearly sent them broke, maybe the games in NSW could offset that ?. I wonder what plans they have to offset that problem this time ?.
I remember hearing somewhere that the Reds paid for opposition teams to fly over, is this true ?.

Last edited:

Colk

First Grade
I'm saying both the Bears and WA are the beggers

Potentially, although, I think they would go and put a side in the West eventually as the size of the market and money is just too great.

The Bears, on the other hand, surely have to realise that there is no chance of another Sydney side and a extremely minute chance of a CC or other NSW side. Going outside of NSW is their only realistic chance of getting back in, so in my mind they are more desperate.

This may work, so long as they realise this and in reality this is a good offer. Old Bears fans, however many there are, would have a chance to watch them what 6 or so times a year in NSW. Surely that is better than nothing

Centy Coast

Juniors
Potentially, although, I think they would go and put a side in the West eventually as the size of the market and money is just too great.

The Bears, on the other hand, surely have to realise that there is no chance of another Sydney side and a extremely minute chance of a CC or other NSW side. Going outside of NSW is their only realistic chance of getting back in, so in my mind they are more desperate.

This may work, so long as they realise this and in reality this is a good offer. Old Bears fans, however many there are, would have a chance to watch them what 6 or so times a year in NSW. Surely that is better than nothing
I'm happy either way
🐻🖤💛🏈