What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Exactly.

one team based in Port Moresby and the second team based in Lae with both teams running u18&u20 youth grade sides.

Ideally Both teams would also be partnered with NRL teams preferably Queensland based NRL teams.

Great opportunity for the dolphins?
It would help PNG get more players into the NRL and strengthen the Kumuls.

Industry can back it. Perth need to find a billionaire &then hope they don't cut & run when club is losing..

Peter Cumins and Tony Sage.

Colk

First Grade
Industry can back it. Perth need to find a billionaire &then hope they don't cut & run when club is losing..

So? The same thing can happen to a PNG bid. If industry (I’m presuming you mean mining) or government disinvest, then who is left holding the can on this one? You would want a 30, 40 or 50 year investment in this thing

Also, unlike Perth, there is not one single source/shred of revenue with this thing - who is going to attend games or buy memberships when people are earning $50 AUD a week? What are advertisers selling to the PNG market? What PNG TV company is going to buy the rights to underwrite the entry of a PNG side?

Now I understand that you are vociferously against a Perth or an Adelaide side but any person with a reasonable understanding of economics couldn’t possibly suggest that a side based in Australia would be anywhere near as risky as basing a side in a third world country. Unless of course you are ignorant or you are disingenuous

Colk

First Grade
In true RL fashion each of the 3 bids have major flaws that could potentially harm the future prospects of all 3 teams.

If you had the fanaticism of the PNG supporters and the talent pool of New Zealand combined with the wealthy financial support of Perth you’d potentially have a ”super club” on your hands. lol!!!

Exactly. None of these bids are slam dunks. I’d prefer Perth and NZ 2 because they are simply not as risky but if you want to argue for a PNG bid, or any of these bids, you have to be acutely aware of their flaws.

Now if you want a PNG side, you have to realise it is not going to make any money and there is a massive risk if the government or industry or whomever is underwriting this cuts and runs. It would make AFL’s investment in GWS seem like spare change.

Pippen94

First Grade
So? The same thing can happen to a PNG bid. If industry (I’m presuming you mean mining) or government disinvest, then who is left holding the can on this one? You would want a 30, 40 or 50 year investment in this thing

Also, unlike Perth, there is not one single source/shred of revenue with this thing - who is going to attend games or buy memberships when people are earning $50 AUD a week? What are advertisers selling to the PNG market? What PNG TV company is going to buy the rights to underwrite the entry of a PNG side?

Now I understand that you are vociferously against a Perth or an Adelaide side but any person with a reasonable understanding of economics couldn’t possibly suggest that a side based in Australia would be anywhere near as risky as basing a side in a third world country. Unless of course you are ignorant or you are disingenuous

Perth doesn't bring anything really like storm. Just needs to be propped up. Can have free admission to games with right backer

Lake palmer

Juniors
Exactly. None of these bids are slam dunks. I’d prefer Perth and NZ 2 because they are simply not as risky but if you want to argue for a PNG bid, or any of these bids, you have to be acutely aware of their flaws.

Now if you want a PNG side, you have to realise it is not going to make any money and there is a massive risk if the government or industry or whomever is underwriting this cuts and runs. It would make AFL’s investment in GWS seem like spare change.
And that’s even before you factor in things like PNG being a 3rd world country, high crime rates, hardly any NRL standard kumul players, heavy reliance on overseas players and potential political instability etc.

Colk

First Grade
And that’s even before you factor in things like PNG being a 3rd world country, high crime rates, hardly any NRL standard kumul players, heavy reliance on overseas players and potential political instability etc.

Exactly. I think I mentioned it somewhere else that the average weekly earnings are $50 per week and Port Moresby in particular is an incredibly dangerous place. So it would be difficult, if not impossible to generate any type of revenue and it would be incredibly difficult to hold on to players or to recruit anybody if your choice is between Port Moresby and Brisbane/Sydney etc.

I’d love more PNG involvement in the competition and it is a failing that the game hasn’t brought in more talent from that region but unless you have billionaires funding this year on to year etc then I don’t see how this can work.

Colk

First Grade
Perth doesn't bring anything really like storm. Just needs to be propped up. Can have free admission to games with right backer

So it’s ok to prop up one but not another?

In any case, Storm make a profit - when exactly would a PNG side make a profit? Unless you know when PNG becomes a first world country (and that might not be in our lifetimes unfortunately) how long are you waiting?

Pippen94

First Grade
So it’s ok to prop up one but not another?

In any case, Storm make a profit - when exactly would a PNG side make a profit? Unless you know when PNG becomes a first world country (and that might not be in our lifetimes unfortunately) how long are you waiting?

Storm don't make profit. Their owners keep them going plus TV money every club gets

Pippen94

First Grade

Hasn't stopped qld cup team for around a decade

Lake palmer

Juniors
PNG is most league mad place on earth with plenty of industry that would support club
Mate the country is a 3rd world country with high crime rate and it’s population has very little disposable income.

Whos going to play for the PNG nrl franchise?

Latest posts