What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

I don’t think it has much chance to be honest.
It has zero chance. Cairns doesn't even have a rectangular stadium. The Pride play out of an athletics park. Flying to Port Moresby on gameday will be a massive hurdle for a club that will struggle in the player market.

Menaiduck

Juniors

Nrl expansion to stop Chinese expansion
Funnily enough afl tried to invade China and the Chinese repelled it with indifference. In contrast the NRL will repel the Chinese invasion of the South Pacific by adopting a PNG team.

Colk

First Grade
Funnily enough afl tried to invade China and the Chinese repelled it with indifference. In contrast the NRL will repel the Chinese invasion of the South Pacific by adopting a PNG team.

AFL trying to take over China is one of the funniest things ever

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the Australian Govt is prepared to underwrite it for a guaranteed 30 years, then sure let them in lol.

Colk

First Grade
It’s a great idea. Almost clever.

I still don’t think it will happen, at least not for the next side.

I do worry about how competitive a PNG side would be even IF (and that’s a big if) the government decide that they are going to back this bid year in and year out. How are they going to recruit and retain anybody?

Perth Red

Post Whore

I do worry about how competitive a PNG side would be even IF (and that’s a big if) the government decide that they are going to back this bid year in and year out. How are they going to recruit and retain anybody?
Not to mention convincing Nine and Fox to cover games from PNG, the lack of value in terms of Australian TV audience growth, the reluctance of all the other clubs to travel for games to PNG, the inability to sign Australian and kiwi players as who wants to travel EVERY week especially internationally for your home game (presuming the loopy Cairns idea has traction) and so the challenges beyond financial sustainability go on.
Be fun for them to give it a go though just for shts and giggles.

Colk

First Grade
Not to mention convincing Nine and Fox to cover games from PNG, the lack of value in terms of Australian TV audience growth, the reluctance of all the other clubs to travel for games to PNG, the inability to sign Australian and kiwi players as who wants to travel EVERY week especially internationally for your home game (presuming the loopy Cairns idea has traction) and so the challenges beyond financial sustainability go on.
Be fun for them to give it a go though just for shts and giggles.

It is not even that. How likely, if and when they start producing NRL standard players, that they are able to keep them?

Wb1234

Referee

If the govt do fully fund it (they won’t) this will be an additional team to team 18

the arlc will actually get free extra content to sell to Australian tv companies

Last edited: