What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If the Australian Govt is prepared to underwrite it for a guaranteed 30 years, then sure let them in lol.
They'd have to underwrite it for a lot longer than 30 years.

Even then there's no such thing as a binding agreement with a government. Sooner or later they, or a successor, will try to weasel out of the deal and the NRL will be left holding the bags, which the NRL can't afford.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Nrl expansion to stop Chinese expansion
Sports politics never works. Literally every time it's attempted it fails, and it fails because of human nature.

People are greedy, so unfailingly when a person/party is offered gifts to cooperate with another person/party they use that leverage to extort more out of the people trying to buy them off.

It's like when Æthelred the Unready tried to pay Vikings to leave Wessex...

• Haha
Reactions: Vee

MugaB

Coach

Coach/ half / lock
Already have most of the answers here of what a team in png would look like
Adrian Lam, would be the perfect coach, his son would get a shot in the halves, and JDB would be a good draw card and a possible senior leader at the new venture.
People say its too hard to logistically sort out players to want to play for a 3rd world team, but there's already interest... not saying they'll get the next licence, but they'd be getting one eventually soon, especially since PVL, could push for a 10th game, and a joint bid with Cairns, and it being the home training base, mean this is possible "QLD5", and we know he loves qld...which is helping origin... the jewel

Last edited:

mikail-eagle

Bench

Hill set to lead PNG NRL Bid​

Former Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill has been appointed to drive Papua New Guinea’s bid for an NRL licence.

Hill, who was in charge of the 2017 World Cup before joining Canterbury, will oversee the establishment and legal framework of the bid process, which is being backed by the PNGRFL, PNG Government and PNG Sports Foundation.

A long serving official who has also previously held senior positions with Parramatta, GWS Giants and the NRL, Hill be lead consultant to the PNG NRL Bid.

His appointment followed a workshop in PNG this week and PNGRFL CEO Stanley Hondina said Hill was likely to take on a greater role as the bid becomes more developed.

“The workshop also served as the official engagement of Mr Hill as the lead consultant at this stage, until the overall structure is being set, and that title may change," Hondina said.

“We congratulate Andrew on his appointment as well as we welcome him to the team, we are confident with having Andrew on board to lead the bid team going forward.

“He’s very well connected and experienced in the rugby leagues space, he’s been in the business for a while."

Hill was responsible for taking three pool games to Port Moresby during the 2017 World Cup and he is currently engaged as the strategic advisor to the PNG Hunters and is also helping the PNG Orchids and PNG Kumuls prepare for the World Cup in England at the end of this season.

“It’s an incredibly exciting time for the game here in PNG," Hill said.

"I think everyone around the world knows the passion that Papua New Guineans have for the game, we also know how important rugby league is for the country but equally important, the country is very important for rugby league.

“Moving forward through this bid, as we take our time and work through a proper process, we need to ensure that those messages about how important the game can be for young people in this country and the role rugby league can play.

"It’s more than just a game, we can really unite and inspire a generation of young girls and boys to be the best they can at anything.”

Hill spoke at the workshop about the entity and its structures, the board and governance, and the involvement of the PNGRFL, the PNG Sports Foundation and the National Government of Papua New Guinea.

“I’m very honoured to be working with the calibre of people that I met,” Hill said.

“There’s a lot of work, we need to be patient, this is more than just about the game on the field.

"This is going to be quite strategic, we have to ensure that we get proper governance, the model has to be right, and looking at every opportunity that gets presented to PNG.”

MugaB

Coach
“Moving forward through this bid, as we take our time and work through a proper process, we need to ensure that those messages about how important the game can be for young people in this country and the role rugby league can play.

"It’s more than just a game, we can really unite and inspire a generation of young girls and boys to be the best they can at anything.”
PNG Pride

Perth Red

Post Whore
if the nrl has no intention of PNG being the 18th club, and I suspect they don’t, they should be telling them now so they stop wasting their money.

Pippen94

First Grade
if the nrl has no intention of PNG being the 18th club, and I suspect they don’t, they should be telling them now so they stop wasting their money.

PNG bid would boast player pool
Brisbane3 would boast ratings & streaming
Nz2 would do both
Perth would be a nice dot on map which costs game a lot of money

Billythekid

First Grade

Coach/ half / lock
Already have most of the answers here of what a team in png would look like
Adrian Lam, would be the perfect coach, his son would get a shot in the halves, and JDB would be a good draw card and a possible senior leader at the new venture.
People say its too hard to logistically sort out players to want to play for a 3rd world team, but there's already interest... not saying they'll get the next licence, but they'd be getting one eventually soon, especially since PVL, could push for a 10th game, and a joint bid with Cairns, and it being the home training base, mean this is possible "QLD5", and we know he loves qld...which is helping origin... the jewel
There is a lot of concern about not being able to attract talent but I assume primarily they would be trying to mostly use players from PNG. This is a country where RL is the number 1 sport with a population which may soon be double NZ. They will have an immense amount of talent to draw from.

Not saying I want this to happen but longer term I don't see lack of playing talent being the problem. Financially, logistically and politically it's a HUGE risk and is a highly questionable venture at best.

MugaB

Coach
There is a lot of concern about not being able to attract talent but I assume primarily they would be trying to mostly use players from PNG. This is a country where RL is the number 1 sport with a population which may soon be double NZ. They will have an immense amount of talent to draw from.

Not saying I want this to happen but longer term I don't see lack of playing talent being the problem. Financially, logistically and politically it's a HUGE risk and is a highly questionable venture at best.
Then it being the NRL, its a done deal then..
Might aswell start talking about the 20th team now...
The article states Lam talking about JDB heritage, and how most folk who play for rep PNG, would likely join, might get Olam as captian, Lachlan Lam as one of the halves, etc... its not the generic city town like gold coast that you're signing up for, its Auckland on steriods... see how just this year, lodge and aiken weren't going to live in NZ but played with the warriors anyways, theres still a whole heap of aus players in that squad who are, not a great example since they aren't doing that well this season, but there's been many past players who crossed the ditch, from Brandy to Cleary to Price to Maloney to Townsend, if you want an opportunity in 1st grade, you move to PNG if your stuck behind another 1st grader

Last edited:

Lake palmer

Juniors
The PNG hunters playing in Queensland cup tick all the boxes for the development of RL in that country without any need of awarding a potentially risky and wasted NRL franchise spot to that country.

There are far more pressing and deserving bids/options before PNG.

Reactions: Vee
The PNG hunters playing in Queensland cup tick all the boxes for the development of RL in that country without any need of awarding a potentially risky and wasted NRL franchise spot to that country.

A second PNG team in the Queensland Cup should be ahead of an NRL team.

Lake palmer

Juniors
A second PNG team in the Queensland Cup should be ahead of an NRL team.
Exactly.

one team based in Port Moresby and the second team based in Lae with both teams running u18&u20 youth grade sides.

Ideally Both teams would also be partnered with NRL teams preferably Queensland based NRL teams.

Great opportunity for the dolphins?

Colk

First Grade
PNG bid would boast player pool
Brisbane3 would boast ratings & streaming
Nz2 would do both
Perth would be a nice dot on map which costs game a lot of money

I know that you’re anti Perth and that is fine if that is your view (everyone is entitled to one) but to use that argument against it, whilst at the same time advocating a PNG bid. which would cost the game many millions more, is ironic

Pippen94

First Grade
I know that you’re anti Perth and that is fine if that is your view (everyone is entitled to one) but to use that argument against it, whilst at the same time advocating a PNG bid. which would cost the game many millions more, is ironic

Industry can back it. Perth need to find a billionaire &then hope they don't cut & run when club is losing..

Pippen94

First Grade

Wait they field team in qld cup but not NRL??

Lake palmer

Juniors
In true RL fashion each of the 3 bids have major flaws that could potentially harm the future prospects of all 3 teams.

If you had the fanaticism of the PNG supporters and the talent pool of New Zealand combined with the wealthy financial support of Perth you’d potentially have a ”super club” on your hands. lol!!!

Latest posts