What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

justadragon

Bench
Thought crossed my mind actually.

A lot of the existing coaches with allegiance/ties to the Dragons are a bit iffy as in we tried Young, Hornby is not ready, Browny is done, Ryles perhaps? Fitzgibbon would have been good but he didn't want a bar of us.
Totally agree mate, you cant put your finger on anyone and say he would suite the Dragons or he can change the Dragons. You know I look at Cleary and think are you really a good coach or are you now in a place where there is a vast amount of talent and you cant go wrong, because he wasnt much chop at the Tigers, now he's a world beater. Certainly a dilemma we are in and it wont change in a hurry.

possm

Coach
Totally agree mate, you cant put your finger on anyone and say he would suite the Dragons or he can change the Dragons. You know I look at Cleary and think are you really a good coach or are you now in a place where there is a vast amount of talent and you cant go wrong, because he wasnt much chop at the Tigers, now he's a world beater. Certainly a dilemma we are in and it wont change in a hurry.
Flanno has been working on and off at the Dragons for years now. I say appoint him as interim head coach and see what he can do. I'm of the opinion that the team's discipline will improve dramatically and our defense will also improve.

More than anything, I believe he will cull the the squad of all that is no good and go to market for some good players.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I can’t understand the logic or assessment that some have of our former players now coaches as probable coaching replacements.

Whilst I actually think there are different knowledge and skills for certain coaching positions: assistant coach pathways, defence coach etc and head coach, where’s the evidence that they have been successful?

Fine players, but coaching is a different craft. Success, I haven’t seen it. Develop the craft, get some runs on the board and then throw your hat in the ring. No one currently falls into that category for me.

justadragon

Bench
Flanno has been working on and off at the Dragons for years now. I say appoint him as interim head coach and see what he can do. I'm of the opinion that the team's discipline will improve dramatically and our defense will also improve.

More than anything, I believe he will cull the the squad of all that is no good and go to market for some good players.
I tend to agree with you Possm but the Dragons would be in a perfect position to do something right now if they wanted to. I cant see them punting Hook I cant see it.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
I honestly don't know which coaches would be a vast improvement on Griffin. No one can really be sure. We don't see the day-to-day. We can only comment on game day and by gee our boys look completely unprepared and his selections are unacceptable to say the least. I just wanted my club to make Griffin work for his extension and they failed us again like with Paul in 2019.

No point to jump on another discard.
No to McGuire - too old school a la current coach and he just couldn't work it at a similar environment at Tigers
No to Flanagan - seems to have very little substance, reckon 2016 was more a case of right place right time for him. Feels more interested in himself than anything else and I'm tired of that kind of coach.
The young untested blokes is not what we need so forget about Barrett.

I'd probably be looking at something a little left of field. If you can't nab a Bellamy or Robinson then look elsewhere, perhaps overseas? What about Billy Slater if he likes his taste of coaching in Origin. Something that would put us back on the map and really change the tone that has been super sour about the place for too long.
I'm not a part of the Lynch mob quite yet but I agree that any coach, be it Hook or anyone that has been named to replace him will struggle with our team until we get one who is going to set clear standards with the playing group and start holding players accountable for their shit performances on field.

Our only coach since the turn of the century who set standards for our players to live up to and engrained this in to our team's culture was Bennett. All the others have been too scared to challenge the playing group for whatever reason. This has impacted our overall performance and success as our players think they can coast and pick up their big dollars every week with no repercussions. This spreads like a cancer to our new signings as well. Bird tried his guts out when he came back to the club for example and this year he looks and plays like he couldn't give two shits.

We're verging on the need for a clean out of the playing group that coaches like Brian Smith and Ricky Stuart have done in the past with different teams, in my view that is what is needed now.

Yes we all know the problems that stem from management but in my view, having 17 players understanding the privilege of playing this sport professionally and wanting to win and be successful is something that the coaching staff and players themselves can fix.

I was excited when Hook was appointed as he was the old school disciplinarian from outside our system that we all hoped would have the qualities needed in our next coach, as I eluded to in the gameday thread today it now remains to be seen whether he will live up to these expectations or not.

So I live in hope that the day is now for Hook to apply a giant boot up the ass of the playing group.

thebigredv

First Grade
I'm not a part of the Lynch mob quite yet but I agree that any coach, be it Hook or anyone that has been named to replace him will struggle with our team until we get one who is going to set clear standards with the playing group and start holding players accountable for their shit performances on field.

Our only coach since the turn of the century who set standards for our players to live up to and engrained this in to our team's culture was Bennett. All the others have been too scared to challenge the playing group for whatever reason. This has impacted our overall performance and success as our players think they can coast and pick up their big dollars every week with no repercussions. This spreads like a cancer to our new signings as well. Bird tried his guts out when he came back to the club for example and this year he looks and plays like he couldn't give two shits.

We're verging on the need for a clean out of the playing group that coaches like Brian Smith and Ricky Stuart have done in the past with different teams, in my view that is what is needed now.

Yes we all know the problems that stem from management but in my view, having 17 players understanding the privilege of playing this sport professionally and wanting to win and be successful is something that the coaching staff and players themselves can fix.

I was excited when Hook was appointed as he was the old school disciplinarian from outside our system that we all hoped would have the qualities needed in our next coach, as I eluded to in the gameday thread today it now remains to be seen whether he will live up to these expectations or not.

So I live in hope that the day is now for Hook to apply a giant boot up the ass of the playing group.

Agree regarding Bennett. It is about standards, standards, standards and not being scared to challenge the playing group (and obviously a few other aspects of the job) to live up to them.

Also think a big clean out is looming as a must. Griffin has definitely discarded some dead wood but then replaced it with even more scrap. He doesn't have the pulling power and never will be the type of coach players want to come play under (another important facet that Bennett had). Hence why Flanno was brought in, again. Gauging by performances he doesn't have this group at all, which is just as much a reflection on them.

He is probably one giant spray away from this becoming an untenable Mcguire like situation. At least that's what I can gather. The playing group looks fractured. They are not a very responsive group ad last night showed they share about 3 brain cells between them.

And just to be clear, I haven't once stated we need to sack Hook but I want to go on record as vehemently opposing the club's decision to re-sign him prematurely. And it was for the exact reason we are experiencing now, again.

George Sancti

Juniors
As disappointing as the Dragons were on Friday night, I still maintain that our roster is as good as other teams which are competing to make the eight. Even the Storm and the Roosters have had thirty put on them this year. The difference is, their coaching staff can identify the weaknesses and work with the individual players to address the weaknesses or make the necessary changes to the team composition or playing structures. I feel Griffin is good at identifying young talent but does not possess the skills to coach or mentor young players.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
I’m watching this Billy Walters play hooker at broncs. He isn’t a star by any measure but surely hook can see that the service from DH and the spread is the way to go. How he keeps AM in DH is starting to piss me off. And I like hook. But surely he needs to realise that whatever he is doing or his coaches is not working. Wasn’t Gentle the defence coach under siebold L. Like seriously McCales Navy like we are

I'm Hornby

Juniors
I’m watching this Billy Walters play hooker at broncs. He isn’t a star by any measure but surely hook can see that the service from Fake and the spread is the way to go. How he keeps AM in Fake is starting to piss me off. And I like hook. But surely he needs to realise that whatever he is doing or his coaches is not working. Wasn’t Gentle the defence coach under siebold L. Like seriously McCales Navy like we are
Zac Woolford goes alright too and is off contract next year. Maybe we can get him over as a rookie rather than waiting to sign him when he is a has been like we did with his old man.

Dragon David

First Grade
The big thing is this. We have Hook until the end of 2023. The Dragons will not terminate him before then even if we come last this year - they don't like to sack coaches mid stream. The Board or whomever decided to extend him beyond 2022 will not want to be embarrassed and therefore we will endure another year of him at a minimum.

He in fact could be extended further if he has much success with the team next year. It might happen and we can rejoice one way or another. Lol.😂

George Sancti

Juniors
The big thing is this. We have Hook until the end of 2023. The Dragons will not terminate him before then even if we come last this year - they don't like to sack coaches mid stream. The Board or whomever decided to extend him beyond 2022 will not want to be embarrassed and therefore we will endure another year of him at a minimum.

He in fact could be extended further if he has much success with the team next year. It might happen and we can rejoice one way or another. Lol.😂
Well done Dragon Dave !! It is is good to put a positive spin on the situation, even if it is currently looking a bit grim.

Mojo

Bench
The game against the Cowboys was a genuine test case. Both teams were crap when the current coaches took up their positions - effectively at the same point in time. This year the Cowboys are clearly cohesive, committed, fit and focused. Their coach has laser-like intensity and it is very obvious that performance standards are firmly established. Saints are the exact opposite. If Hook doesn’t wield the ax and absolutely galvanise this squad following this debacle performance, which followed a full fortnight to train and prepare, then he will have proven himself to be not up to the task.

blacksafake

First Grade
I don't see much point getting an old boy as coach. We've tried that a few times, it hasn't worked. The only thing that has worked is getting a strong minded coach who knows what he's doing and is not afraid of telling the board where to go - think Harry Bath, Brian Smith or Wayne Bennett.
Good post.
I remember reading Bennett told Doust & the board to stay as far away from the team as possible & do your job not mine.
It appears looking from the outside there may be external influences.

71saintsimon

Juniors
The game against the Cowboys was a genuine test case. Both teams were crap when the current coaches took up their positions - effectively at the same point in time. This year the Cowboys are clearly cohesive, committed, fit and focused. Their coach has laser-like intensity and it is very obvious that performance standards are firmly established. Saints are the exact opposite. If Hook doesn’t wield the ax and absolutely galvanise this squad following this debacle performance, which followed a full fortnight to train and prepare, then he will have proven himself to be not up to the task.
Nothing has changed from the McGregor system to the griffin systems , why on earth won’t you blood these young kids and develop them correctly instead sending them of to the wilderness? When do they plan on using Sullivan in the 7 wen he turns 30? There is no harm in trying him in 7 leaving amonune in 6 and Sloan at 1 with hunt at 9 wen the same old same old ideas from from griffin and previous McGregor perseverance with old slow conventional players that have passed there used by date and offer nothing have been total failure and sickening to watch

71saintsimon

Juniors
Dragons are run by dinosaurs, such a pity to watch your own junior ripping it against you Reece Robson was never afforded opportunity playing second fiddle and the same wil happen with Sloan with Sullivan and many others til the dinosaurs are removed from power

Coffs dragon

Bench
Nothing has changed from the McGregor system to the griffin systems , why on earth won’t you blood these young kids and develop them correctly instead sending them of to the wilderness? When do they plan on using Sullivan in the 7 wen he turns 30? There is no harm in trying him in 7 leaving amonune in 6 and Sloan at 1 with hunt at 9 wen the same old same old ideas from from griffin and previous McGregor perseverance with old slow conventional players that have passed there used by date and offer nothing have been total failure and sickening to watch
Good post!
Prime example is our club prided itself on giving a 29 year old journeyman winger his NRL debut.
Other teams throw a 19 year old kid on the wing with speed to burn and take the risk with confidence.

BBTB

Juniors
Dragons are run by dinosaurs, such a pity to watch your own junior ripping it against you Reece Robson was never afforded opportunity playing second fiddle and the same wil happen with Sloan with Sullivan and many others til the dinosaurs are removed from power
How do we remove these dinosaurs?

Latest posts