What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If not Madge, then who?

MugaB

Coach
He has in charge and he has been a disaster. It's that simple. Sure he isn't to blame for the last 5 years or whatever of ineptness but he has come in and he is looking like the worst football manager of all time.
Thats a bit harsh, sheens only got here just before the off season that doesnt help considering covid prior to that, then he is deaing with a poorly assembled roster, one that Maguire has poorly trained in defence over the past 4 seasons, also in regards to retention theyd just sacked the guys on their last review, and finally now madge, when they probably needed to get a new ceo, that isn't all about managing funds for football, and puts pressure on the football team, pascoe is pretty blazay about everything, the board is pretty nuffy when it comes to on field football decisions, how can you expect them to sign off on new buys/picks of good players off the market, when all they do is sign off on plodders, the salary cap isnt broken at the tigers under madge, he just never had the pulling power to excite anyone of talent to go there... and you don't need a team of marques to win games, but it helps if you can get one or two, then growthe junior base beneath around them, hook seems to manage and he hasn't got that drawing power either, but has a good mix of juniors and 1st graders to balance the squad, most of them are cut price journeymen, and that helps

Tiger05

First Grade
Thats a bit harsh

Is it ? He has been a disaster so far.

I hope I'm wrong and he has something up his sleeves but it looks like he and the board have tanked this season and at this point there is no benefit to tanking.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I can't see Ciraldo coming to the Tigers as his best choice for his first gig in the big time. Way too much pressure to even get us a top 12 position. Wolfe is in England on his way to his 3rd premiership. Why give up the pleasure of success for us?
I'm thinking we will only get someone who has not been coaching for a while and will take on anything they can get.
Not my choice but I think Flanagan will get the gig.

Das Hassler

Bench
I can't see Ciraldo coming to the Tigers as his best choice for his first gig in the big time. Way too much pressure to even get us a top 12 position. Wolfe is in England on his way to his 3rd premiership. Why give up the pleasure of success for us?
I'm thinking we will only get someone who has not been coaching for a while and will take on anything they can get.
Not my choice but I think Flanagan will get the gig.

Is Wok still able to walk?

Benching Blocker and Sirro is forgiven....

simmo05

Bench
I agree.

In stating that his decisions so far have been pretty f**ken useless. Why sack Madge now ? Why release Mikaele and Luc ?

These are terrible decisions with hindsight.

To be fair I'm not being completely transparent here. The club/Sheens have tanked this year because they've given up and they appear to be planning for the next 3-5 years.

That in itself though isn't really an excuse. They could look for improvements over the next couple of seasons without tanking this season.

Maybe sacking Madge is fair so that they have new coach early in the off season and they can make recruitment and retention decisions but surely they could have played this better.
I reckon sacking madge was fair, results do speak for themselves. However I would also replace every single player we have here. We require a complete cleanout, as soon as someone's deal is up, catch ya later. Only then can you reset the rank culture in the joint

Tigerm

First Grade
I reckon sacking madge was fair, results do speak for themselves. However I would also replace every single player we have here. We require a complete cleanout, as soon as someone's deal is up, catch ya later. Only then can you reset the rank culture in the joint
I don’t disagree with you, but the trouble is imo, there are probably only 4 coaches who have the power to clean out players from there club and for a club like us, who do we replace them with?

Tiger05

First Grade
who do we replace them with?

I am getting more and more concerned about a clean out. We don't need a clean-out. We need like 4-6 quality first grade players and basically all of them should be forwards.

Play Hastings and Doueihi in the halves and go from there.

The unfortunate things for the Tigers is that I feel the pain needs to go in for a little longer. I think the club does need a clear out; management needs to go through and get rid of all the non-high character players. If this is 28 players, then so be it (albeit with the likes of Hastings, Twal, Douehi, Brooks, Tamou, etc there are probably 10 ish players I would keep). You want a team that gives 100%, 100% of the time.

You then need to go a buy a lot of these players in the market. You might not get the most talented team or a team that is going to challenge for the 8, but you need to build a culture.

At the same time you need to develop juniors, but again with this focus on high character; teach the kids what it means to be WTs, and show them a first grade side that demonstrates these values.

This will hurt in the short term because you will lose and there will be little hope; signings like Peachey and Roberts offer the fans hope because they are talented and have the potential to win games, but there are reasons why successful clubs cut players who are talented and win games.

And this is not meant to be condescending. It might take a while to get to where the Tigers want to be, but when you get there the Panthers will probably be either in the downhill slide or already at the bottom, scratching our head about how we can be more like the Tigers.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
The unfortunate things for the Tigers is that I feel the pain needs to go in for a little longer. I think the club does need a clear out; management needs to go through and get rid of all the non-high character players. If this is 28 players, then so be it (albeit with the likes of Hastings, Twal, Douehi, Brooks, Tamou, etc there are probably 10 ish players I would keep). You want a team that gives 100%, 100% of the time.

You then need to go a buy a lot of these players in the market. You might not get the most talented team or a team that is going to challenge for the 8, but you need to build a culture.

At the same time you need to develop juniors, but again with this focus on high character; teach the kids what it means to be WTs, and show them a first grade side that demonstrates these values.

This will hurt in the short term because you will lose and there will be hope; signings like Peachey and Roberts offer the fans hope because they are talented and have the potential to win games, but there are reasons why successful clubs cut players who are talented and win games.

And this is not meant to be condescending. It might take a while to get to where the Tigers want to be, but when you get there the Panthers will probably be either in the downhill slide or already at the bottom, scratching our head about how we can be more like the Tigers.
You want a team that gives 100%, 100% of the time.

Nailed it.

I’m pleased we have loaded up the old recruitment gun and pointed it at ciraldo.

It’s rude and unprofessional to keep the other applicants waiting indefinitely. We really don’t have a moment to lose.

The new coach will take some time to suck in the club resources. Many conferences with Tim, Noddy etc. Is likely to want to capture his team of assistants etc and all that.

Its a big job.

As for recruiting, people forget we average at least a 27% turnover of our squad each year and next year will be no different.

The new coach will have the best gig in the NRL.

No pressure for instant wins, a bucket load of cash, some great juniors, all the goodwill in the world for at least a whole season.

And we can’t be the worlds worst recruiters with Api and Paps on their way. Api just made The origin starting side. Someone in the organisation predicted he had a lot of footy left in him.But origin?! That was a big call.

Paps is a fine player, improving every week.

And the club is accepting of this years fate which is a markedly different policy from previous years.

We would be crazy not to have Seibs in the coaching ranks somewhere or consulting. Paul Green or Henry. Good footy minds.

Expect at least 10 new players next year. No doubt some favourites will get the axe for sure. We just need to get it right and fresh minds will have a big say.

Flanno bought good solid grunts to his club and instilled a strong sense of willingness to their efforts. I also thought Morris did a great job.

There’s a lot of talent out there.

A lot of pressure to turn up at the interview and perform.

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
Looking at it with fresh eyes, the Tigers gig is actually quite attractive to a new coach:
1 - We don't really have anywhere to go but upwards
2 - Our salary cap is in very good shape, plus we have changed our image from a club who will pay anything for moderately good players to only paying fair market value
3 - Sheens is there to deal with the board and any intense media scrutiny
4 - We have a lot of good young players who are young enough to be molded as the new coach needs them to be
5 - center of excellence will be up and running

I also don't think we need a cleanout. What we need is:
- Sign Ciraldo
- Re-sign Hastings and Laurie on a decent deal that doesn't break the bank
- Move on Brooks and Peachy
- Sign an excellent Back Rower to partner Papali'i and Front Rower to partner Stefano/Twal
- Re-sign Tamou on a cheap 1 year deal.

The idea of this is that we are creating our own brand of the Penrith Panthers here at the Tigers. Tamou, Api, Naden, Laurie, Blore all have a relationship with Ciraldo and will be able to help create a new culture of success and finally establish some sort of identity. If it works, we will see many excellent Penrith players coming over to Tigers when they no doubt get squeezed by the salary cap.

Without Ciraldo, I fear that a cleanout will be inevitable and it will just set us back further and further

Looking at it with fresh eyes, the Tigers gig is actually quite attractive to a new coach:
1 - We don't really have anywhere to go but upwards
2 - Our salary cap is in very good shape, plus we have changed our image from a club who will pay anything for moderately good players to only paying fair market value
3 - Sheens is there to deal with the board and any intense media scrutiny
4 - We have a lot of good young players who are young enough to be molded as the new coach needs them to be
5 - center of excellence will be up and running

I also don't think we need a cleanout. What we need is:
- Sign Ciraldo
- Re-sign Hastings and Laurie on a decent deal that doesn't break the bank
- Move on Brooks and Peachy
- Sign an excellent Back Rower to partner Papali'i and Front Rower to partner Stefano/Twal
- Re-sign Tamou on a cheap 1 year deal.

The idea of this is that we are creating our own brand of the Penrith Panthers here at the Tigers. Tamou, Api, Naden, Laurie, Blore all have a relationship with Ciraldo and will be able to help create a new culture of success and finally establish some sort of identity. If it works, we will see many excellent Penrith players coming over to Tigers when they no doubt get squeezed by the salary cap.

Without Ciraldo, I fear that a cleanout will be inevitable and it will just set us back further and further
Some good points there.

I think it’s a bit risky to put all our eggs in the one basket.

But the beauty of Ciraldo is that he is intimate with all of the Panther ways that have led them to this outstanding value. They are looking comfortably smug for the next couple of years at least.

We could only dream of releasing a player like Burton with a straight face and in their case, it’s to keep their factories.

I heard he started on $500 when he left Penrith but will top out over $1m when he leaves the dogs.

I think he’s worth close to that on a long termer, plus he’s fit and his best footy is a few years away yet. He’s just outstanding.

I imagine a lot of clubs would be very interested.

If I was running an ESL club I’d send out a delegation for a welfare check.

I hope we get cc, but I’m not counting my chickens and we need a credible plan b.

Last edited:

simmo05

Bench
I don’t disagree with you, but the trouble is imo, there are probably only 4 coaches who have the power to clean out players from there club and for a club like us, who do we replace them with?

Great question!

simmo05

Bench
I am getting more and more concerned about a clean out. We don't need a clean-out. We need like 4-6 quality first grade players and basically all of them should be forwards.

Play Hastings and Doueihi in the halves and go from there.
So keep the blokes who havnt put in for years? Wehave been down that path before, this current team will get the spoon this year, and the next

WA Tiger

Bench
I think we have the players to get much better results than we are currently getting. The coach needs to be the driver of that. Noddy is the first coach in 10 years to drop Brooks despite us all knowing Brooks has been shit for most of that time. That says a lot about the lack of knowledge, awareness and courage of all the WT coaches during that time.

We’ve seen these players perform before and recently. It’s the same players. The coach just needs to get inside their heads, so they play their game, with a wining plan and attitude, and a captain to keep them on track. It happens in all sports and it can happen here.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
My mistake. $2m a year wouldn't be enough to get Ciraldo here.
Why am I suggesting we pay big money to get a coach who has a great reputation for developing players and the ability to attract quality players. ....Gee..don't know. Can't think of a single reason.