What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Knight Tales

Juniors
Ciraldo rumours floating around still this week. I think he will eventually replace AOB.
It is interesting spot for Ciraldo cos I am sure he is very aware we have a big salary cap for 2024. A lot to play out over the next 12 months here. Club not willing to admit they have got it very wrong with O’Brien. Instead floating the expense as the reason to keep him on.

globalpanther

Juniors
It is interesting spot for Ciraldo cos I am sure he is very aware we have a big salary cap for 2024. A lot to play out over the next 12 months here. Club not willing to admit they have got it very wrong with O’Brien. Instead floating the expense as the reason to keep him on.
Key indicator is he & his wife have lived there before & love the area.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Given we’re going to need a new winger I think we should look at Corey Oates. He’s big, fast and physical and makes good metres on kick return. Having him on the left and Young on the right would be potent. He’s been back to somewhere near his best form this year too, although he’s down the pecking order with QLD so probably wouldn’t have to pay rep money to get him.

aqua_duck

Coach
He is 30 already and we all know Souths don't give long contracts to over 30s. I think it's definitely worth the punt.

I love me some Brailey. I just prefer him on the paddock over on the treatment table. If Brailey can show he can stay fit, I would love to see him come off the bench to give Cook a small rest and then play some more minutes at 13. He is worlds better than Mann.
whats the point though, Cook is 30 and would want a long term deal like Gagai and the Gagai move has not really helped the side outside of 2 games. Cook would be good if we were a genuine contender but lets be real, we're a long way off and signing a 30 year old hooker who's arguably been on the decline and is reliant on speed makes little sense.

Yosh

Coach
whats the point though, Cook is 30 and would want a long term deal like Gagai and the Gagai move has not really helped the side outside of 2 games. Cook would be good if we were a genuine contender but lets be real, we're a long way off and signing a 30 year old hooker who's arguably been on the decline and is reliant on speed makes little sense.

He has plenty of the intangibles that our club lacks: experience, resilience, leadership, grit. He is still an 80 minute player and is as quick and fit as ever.

I think we could do a lot worse than have Cook at 9.

mozza91

Coach
Hooker is definitely a problem for us with the amount of games Brailey has missed. We need someone better than Randall as a backup obviously but Cook would want too much money to even consider.

Hooker is definitely a problem for us with the amount of games Brailey has missed. We need someone better than Randall as a backup obviously but Cook would want too much money to even consider.
We really really really should be looking at a kid like Jayden Berrell

aqua_duck

Coach
He has plenty of the intangibles that our club lacks: experience, resilience, leadership, grit. He is still an 80 minute player and is as quick and fit as ever.

hes obviously an update on anyone we have but so was Gagai, the point is with players like Cook and Gagai is they're short sighted moves where you're hoping they're culture changers as much as on field difference makers, i mean Gagai was supposed to bring leadership, grit, experience, etc and whilst he's perhaps brought that it clearly has not rubbed off on the rest of the side. With Cook you're not talking about a guy in his prime who can improve, he's about to turn 31 and is on $700k a year, to get him you'd need to at least offer that much money but for probably 3 years and as i said at which time he'll be approaching a point where his best attributes will likely be in decline

aqua_duck

Coach

the thing is Brailey is signed till 2025 and is probably on good money, to invest another $700k into a position where you've already invested quite abit of cap space into when you have so many holes in every single position is salary cap suicide. Realistically we need 2 halves, a winger, an edge, another decent middle as well as alot more depth to even be competitve again

the thing is Brailey is signed till 2025 and is probably on good money, to invest another $700k into a position where you've already invested quite abit of cap space into when you have so many holes in every single position is salary cap suicide. Realistically we need 2 halves, a winger, an edge, another decent middle as well as alot more depth to even be competitve again
It would also be cap suicide to go to market and buy good players in all those positions too, as we'd need to pay overs to attract them to the club

We really are f**ked with our juniors for the next few years as none of them will be ready before 2024 at earliest and those are the type of guys you need filling your "budget" squad positions

Yosh

Coach
It would also be cap suicide to go to market and buy good players in all those positions too, as we'd need to pay overs to attract them to the club

We really are f**ked with our juniors for the next few years as none of them will be ready before 2024 at earliest and those are the type of guys you need filling your "budget" squad positions

You guys confident that Brailey can stay fit for most of 2023, 2024 and 2025?

Knight Tales

Juniors
I could see another club happily taking Brails off of our hands. The injuries won’t
Phase them at all. He is a born leader and organiser. He would kill it at a top 4 side. The Roosters and Parra being two clubs in desperate need of a 9.

PhilGould

Bench
I'd rate him as the 8th best hooker in the comp when healthy. The injury negatives far outweigh the positives so far, but he's already signed through '25 so we're kind of stuck regardless. Definitely worried about him overall. Was already pretty slow before 2 major leg injuries.

Watch any Sharks game and it's clear why they moved him on for Blayke.

Johns Magic

Referee
So we have signed Elliott and Hetherington.

Hoping to get Pryce and KPP over here.

Does anyone know if we are still chasing other players? Besides the Munster/Moses/Hastings pipedream chat.

I think Toohey said we’re after an outside back to replace Lee. I’m assuming a cheapie but not sure.

Anything else? Or is that it?

Jono078

Referee
He is 30 already and we all know Souths don't give long contracts to over 30s. I think it's definitely worth the punt.

I love me some Brailey. I just prefer him on the paddock over on the treatment table. If Brailey can show he can stay fit, I would love to see him come off the bench to give Cook a small rest and then play some more minutes at 13. He is worlds better than Mann.
Our team couldn't keep up with Cook's speed. Even if he declines in speed he'll still have no one who can keep up and support.

Happy to bring him in if it ends up being like a McCullough situation for sure.
Ciraldo rumours floating around still this week. I think he will eventually replace AOB.
I gotta say, my gut feeling is this is what will happen. I'm not so sure I like it either. I like that he knows Newcastle and has been here before. But I feel we really need a hard nosed coach whereas Ciraldo seems very chill to me. It may work but I'm super skeptical.
Anything else? Or is that it?
Whether you find it appealing or not, you could count Milford and hopes of retaining Frizell to that list.